• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Main Tank Fill Neck 68 U15 289

Apache Bronco

Loc.
Roosevelt, AZ
Hi,
I am under the back of my Bronco fixing taillight wiring when I notice the little pipe next to the main fill pioe goes nowhere - it's just open. So I look at the lousy drawing from my service manual and see where a short piece of hose goes from it to the rear tank near the top. There is a plug on a hole in line with the small tube, so I pull it out. No, wait, the stretchy cap snaps leaving soft green whatever in the hole.
What have I done?

KeithKinPhx

Filling your tank must get messy. Picture would help. Sounds like the PO was trying to either vent the tank or maybe some sort of auxiliary fill mechanism. Either way you should drop the tank and clean all of that out. Install new hoses, maybe sending mech since you are already in there.

OP
OP
A

Apache Bronco

Loc.
Roosevelt, AZ
Yep, I'm dropping that tank, I think maybe a nipple broke off so he plugged it? I will run on the aux tank for now. I will have to figure out how to fix it if a nipple broke.