• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A Study of Original Grille Colors with a concentration on '76 -'77.

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I have a 76 Ranger, this is how it was when i picked it up.. faded Silver grill, pitted trim, letters still had some of the inserts in them... but no red left. Truck had been repainted blue but other than that original.

IMG_0220.JPG

Just finished restoring it hoping it was close to original, original glen green paint, grill was painted Argent Silver, letters are a dark enamel red, replaced the grill trim as the old stuff was pretty pitted and would have taken me forever to re-condition it.

IMG_1692.jpg

I was trying to keep it as original as possible.. but i hate the huge dorky front running/ turn signals... so went to early style

SP66

Bronco Guru
With the '66 Bronco, Ford painted all the grilles Wimbleton White and body color with the "FORD" letters painted black. With the introduction of the 'Sport' in '67, Ford painted the grille "Argent" (a silver color) and applied chrome letters "FORD" on the grille with a bright accent moulding between the "Argent" and the body color and chrome headlight rings.

With the introduction of the "Ranger" in 73, the grilles were a direct carry-over from the "Sport" package with the Argent and chrome accents. Also introduced in '73 was the "Explorer" package. The "Explorers" had a basic Wimbleton White grille and headlight doors and painted letters.

Advance to '76 and things get a little confusing. Of course, basic Broncos had a white grille, a "Sport" had a silver grille.....but what if it was painted color code V which is Medium Silver Poly? The "Argent" is a little different from the silver body color. Ford added at least one, possibly two colors in the last years of production. For a fact, Ford added black grilles to the line-up, and possibly even a dark charcoal metallic grey. It seems like most of the "Special Decor" package Bronco got black grilles; even if they were a "Sport". (With the chrome letters, headlight rings, and some with trim and some without the accent molding.)

So, in the light of this study, post your knowledge and pictures of 'Original' Grilles, better yet, 'Original Paint' Grilles!;D;D;D

Love to learn more of this Jade Green Bronco---anybody's

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love to learn more of this Jade Green Bronco---anybody's

It is a Bronco that was built by Nick of Nick's Trix..... Check it out on the LUBER thread. It is dark blue now... It sported a dark colored grill before the restoration though...

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's my "plain jane" original paint 76.

Hey! Miss "Plain Jane" is looking good. I can tell the bumper and the grille are original paint, but is the blue also original? We never see any pictures of "Jane"; it's always the "Red Bird" or the "Yellow Smiley"..:):):)

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Yep, it's original. If you could see the hood and how the paint has "worn" off you would know it's original. I drove it around this past weekend.

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone on CB know anyone that has a Bronco that came with a grille that came any color except Argent or Wimbleton White? If you do, get a pic and post it here...Thanks

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is one I finally found a pic of and mite be interested and mite answer a question or two about Silver on silver. Stock Silver '77 Ranger and it does in fact also have the argent(silver) grill. The Argentis a little darker shade than the "V" color code stock silver color. Silver "V" color seems to be a pretty rare '77 color it seams, especially on a Ranger. Kinda cool.

Blue71

Attachments

• $(KGrHqUOKiUE6,zb(!PyBOv-QyRpIw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqUOKiUE6,zb(!PyBOv-QyRpIw~~60_12.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 273
  • $(KGrHqMOKjUE6Md,-cNJBOv-QmcLv!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKjUE6Md,-cNJBOv-QmcLv!~~60_12.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 230
OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is one I finally found a pic of and mite be interested and mite answer a question or two about Silver on silver. Stock Silver '77 Ranger and it does in fact also have the argent(silver) grill. The Argentis a little darker shade than the "V" color code stock silver color. Silver "V" color seems to be a pretty rare '77 color it seams, especially on a Ranger. Kinda cool.

Blue71

Hey Andy! Thanks for posting the pics of the silver '77. I am not sure if that clears the water of muddies it up! The Bronco is original for sure though.... Post more pics if you can think of any....Thanks!!

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a Silver '77 Special Decor I just picked up. Color code "V" again and original paint and black grill color.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 166

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was told that this was an Argent colored grill. This was one of the Broncos restored at the Bronco Connection awhile back. Not sure of the year, as I am thinking the gas door was added. I really liked the grill color and decided to go with it for my halfcab resto.

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 226
OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting that this one has black head light rings rather than chrome ?

That is correct on the Special Decor Group; No chrome headlight rings....even with the Sport trim. Beautiful Bronco, by the way...

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just looking at the grille color of the Peroni Balloon Chaser. It appears to be black or dark grey.... Maybe Drew can explain a little better. This Bronco looks like it was a Special Decor with the Ranger interior added; or possibly special ordered or built by Stroppe. It is not labeled "Ranger" on the dash lid; it has "Sport" badges on the fender; and the top is almost the same color of the body; like a Special Decor.....?:??:?

Attachments

• bronco ambulance 1.jpg
    bronco ambulance 1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Bronco ambulance 2.jpg
    Bronco ambulance 2.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Bronco ambulance 3.jpg
    Bronco ambulance 3.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine is Jade Metallic...PC letter Y not to be confused with Light Jade PC letter R

77Passengerside2.jpg

I have been admiring your jade metallic Ranger WheelHorse. I like the jade metallic! My cousin ordered a new '77 Ranger that color in '77 and I think that because of that, the color has been one of my favs on a Bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...With the introduction of the "Ranger" in 73, the grilles were a direct carry-over from the "Sport" package with the Argent and chrome accents. Also introduced in '73 was the "Explorer" package. The "Explorers" had a basic Wimbleton White grille and headlight doors and painted letters...

Explorers were actually available in the '72 model year. I have three friends that had '72 Explorers and at least two of them were "Sports" with the Argent grille with full chrome.
I have pictures of two of them somewhere (taken back in the early seventies), but only one of them shows the original grille color still. The other already had the grille painted matte black in the pics.

Paul

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Explorers were actually available in the '72 model year. I have three friends that had '72 Explorers and at least two of them were "Sports" with the Argent grille with full chrome.
I have pictures of two of them somewhere (taken back in the early seventies), but only one of them shows the original grille color still. The other already had the grille painted matte black in the pics.

Paul

Yes; The '72 Sport Explorer models had several features that were specific to the '72's. It was like Ford was figuring out what they wanted to do to keep the Bronco interesting so they could be competitive against the GM K-5 Blazer.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is how my '77 would have looked when new.

3277709912_dfab755d83_z.jpg

Willtel,

Beautiful truck! Is this your orange '77 Special Decor? If so can you tell me if the grill paint is more flat, semi gloss, or gloss black. Trying to make sure what was correct for 76-77 Special Decor grill paint for my '77 that hopefully will be in paint soon.

Dennis,
Do know if it was semi gloss or gloss? Gotta paint code anywhere, just curious. If u can tell on the red one let me know. Thanks

Thanks,
Andy
Blue71