• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco towing a GT40 ('66 Le Mans)

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
This was just posted in the Bronco Facebook group without any info. Todd Z thought it might be the iconic ‘66 LeMans winner and looks to be Chris Amon and maybe Bruce McLaren in the back

Anyone know anything else about this?

0thiaua-jpg.1514893

jxv0yil-jpg.1514894

Attachments

• 0thiAUA.jpg
    0thiAUA.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 114
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I bet they exceeded the recommended towing weight.
I was wondering that and assumed it must be a 289/302. 2,700lb car, trailer and the boys in the back.

This doesn't look like a race track but maybe a side road to a starting line or a car show?

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
That is the winning gt40 from 66... looks to me like it’s at a track. Race tracks in the 60s weren’t the clean manicured tracks that we see today...

Super cool photo!!!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
This was just posted in the Bronco Facebook group without any info. Todd Z thought it might be the iconic ‘66 LeMans winner and looks to be Chris Amon and maybe Bruce McLaren in the back

Anyone know anything else about this?

0thiaua-jpg.1514893

jxv0yil-jpg.1514894

Did a little more looking in my GT-40 book (excellent book by Preston Lerner) and that's definitely the '66 Le Mans winner. It had a 427 engine in it by this time.

As someone else noted, I'm guessing this photo was snapped in the French countryside near the racecourse. It was a Shelby American car.

Todd Z.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
66' bronco with the elusive 170ci 6cyl with towing package lol :)

With the weight in the rear seat, and the weight of the car and trailer, I can't imagine how it's not showing any sign sag in the rear. What a great pic though.

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
66' bronco with the elusive 170ci 6cyl with towing package lol :)

With the weight in the rear seat, and the weight of the car and trailer, I can't imagine how it's not showing any sign sag in the rear. What a great pic though.

Ok, you actually think the crew left that 6cyl under the hood! What do you think they did with that 289 they pulled to install that 427..... I know what this group would have done!

House

Minutia Militia
I can't imagine how it's not showing any sign sag in the rear.

With a 427 in the back and loaded on the trailer that way they might have had to all pile in the back to keep the rear tires on the ground...! ;D

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What color was the Shelby bronco?

Various! It's currently a much lighter blue (a '79 Ford truck color). In a few Ford ads, it was a greenish/blue color (that could have been airbrushed, I suppose). The original color on the data plate was Rangoon Red. This truck has a PTO winch and locking hubs, which the prototype, to the best of our knowledge, never had. Seth Burgett, who now owns it, also noted on Facebook that there's no evidence of a hitch on it either. And I don't think it arrived at Shelby's facility until '67.

Todd Z.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With a 427 in the back and loaded on the trailer that way they might have had to all pile in the back to keep the rear tires on the ground...! ;D

Exactly what I thought when I saw the Pic. Should turn the GT40 around for better weight distribution but it was probably a short trip to the shop or track.

Bronco4x4

That's why the EB is not dragging. Less tounge weight with the way the GT40 is on the trailer.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I did a little research last night and found that GT 40 last sold in 2016 for $22 million. Valuable cargo!

Todd Z.