• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New and need some buying advice

loki993

Loc.
Warren
first off Hi from Michigan.
Im sure this story comes up a lot but Im looking for a project for me and my kids to work on. Were were out at the sand dunes, Silver Lake in Michigan, and was like hey a dune truck would be cool.

Ive always liked Broncos, but the early ones have a special place. Problem is, as Im sure we all know, that the prices on these things over the past few year have gone crazy and most nice examples are just flat out of my budget.

My ultimate goal would be to have a decent looking truck I can drive on the street, take to some car shows, cars and coffee, run in the Woodward cruise and hot the dunes with every now and then, that type of thing. Some sort of EFI motor eventually , 5.0 or 5.8 something like that, coyote for the ultimate pipe dream if I get really ambitious some day, but thats end game stuff.

At the beginning getting it to a point where it runs, drives and doesn't have a high probability of killing me or falling apart would be great.

My needs appear rather simple.

a project is fine, for what I can spend it it almost has to be

a roller is fine, maybe preferred even, in theory should get me a nicer body

cut uncut doesn't matter, especially because Ill have to cut rust out anyway and Ill probably put flares on it anyway.

I think I would like steel over fiberglass I think....

Im trying to think of what else....whatever it is it will likely need a lot of work and thats ok.

I guess what should I be looking at for a starting point?

I got maybe 10k max here, I know its not a lot for an early bronco but again I know a bit of what Im getting into here and the longer I wait the less it gets me.

At that price range what should be important, my initial thoughts are a good body and frame, though here in Michigan good is relative.

I think my best bet would be to find a roller, because I truly don't care about the motor and trans and I would probably swap it out eventually anyway, but even where to start looking beyond the obvious facebook and CL ads I don't know. I feel like the more creative I get in my search the better chance I have of finding what Im looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I rambled a bit

Thanks

OP
OP
L

loki993

Loc.
Warren
Looking through the classified a bit it does appear that there are Broncos to be had that aren't complete buckets for under 10k. So thats good...

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Member here in classifieds Bax has a great 10 k rig. But dont know about street manners?

gsmalley

Hi, I have a 66 that I am going to sell. I first bought it with the idea to drive it and fix it up. It was a Texas truck that was brought up to Rochester NY for five years. When I bought it the guy drove it down to NJ for me. At the same time I bought this one another guy called me back with an uncut one. I bought the uncut one a month after I bought this one. Have been driving the shit out of my uncut one while dreaming of restoring the 66. As we all know life gets in the way and I haven’t restored it yet. I was going to put it up for sale for 6.5k and take the first offer over 5k. For a fellow member on here I will let you have it for 5k. I have some pics on my phone I can text you. Shoot me ur # and I will send u the pics.
Glenn
732 651 7873

gsmalley

It’s a 66 with a V8, 3 on the tree, upgraded front end with disc brakes.

OP
OP
L

loki993

Loc.
Warren
Member here in classifieds Bax has a great 10 k rig. But dont know about street manners?

Street manners is a relative term. Its definitely really nice and I will have to keep it in mind, but the logistics of getting it to Michigan from Florida may be a challenge. especially considering its at the top if my budget.

Hi, I have a 66 that I am going to sell. I first bought it with the idea to drive it and fix it up. It was a Texas truck that was brought up to Rochester NY for five years. When I bought it the guy drove it down to NJ for me. At the same time I bought this one another guy called me back with an uncut one. I bought the uncut one a month after I bought this one. Have been driving the shit out of my uncut one while dreaming of restoring the 66. As we all know life gets in the way and I haven’t restored it yet. I was going to put it up for sale for 6.5k and take the first offer over 5k. For a fellow member on here I will let you have it for 5k. I have some pics on my phone I can text you. Shoot me ur # and I will send u the pics.
Glenn
732 651 7873

Will do

If you were not aware, there's an event coming up VERY soon up your way, I would definitely check it out and meet some good folks, good luck -jeff

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287928

I definitely will try.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
That event is not a try. Get there even if you have to walk there on snow shoes. Once you see the Broncos you will kick yourself for even thinking try.

OP
OP
L

loki993

Loc.
Warren
Glenn
732 651 7873

Got a bit busy last night and didn't want to send too late. Ill shoot you a text a bit later in the morning.

Welcome Aboard!!!

Thanks