• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

winch mount with stock bumper?

Thaynereid

I’m looking to put a winch on my bronco but I like the look of the stock bumper. I’ve narrowed it down to two options. I get a plate fabricated to sit between the frame rails that’s under the radiator and cut a hole for a fair lead, but because I don’t have a body lift I think things might be a little tight. my other option is to get a receiver hitch mounted in the same area between the frame rails with the receiver coming right through the bumper and then putting a winch on a cradle with the quick disconnects and the whole shabang. I like this idea because I can throw a d shackle in the reciever and have a front recovery point, and I will also have the ability to winch from the front or the back.
I’m wondering if people have done this before, which one will be easier, or if there’s any other way to put a winch on without killing my chrome? any advice or help will be welcomed.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree on the awesome look of a chrome front bumper and so did the guy who built my '66. He designed and built a cradle and hid the winch. You should be able to follow his build on here by looking up his user name xcntrk.

Attachments

• my66atSC2018 #2.jpg
    my66atSC2018 #2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 255

SavageBurro

I too think it looks great.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263546

I looked into it but I ultimately didn't feel safe reaching near the fan and other moving parts in engine bay to engage the winch and didn't want to prevent steering from interference if I move the axle further forward. xcntrk appears to use a shrouded electric fan which is likely safer but there's still moving parts to put your hands near (or shut engine off when reaching in there). Maybe one could fab an extension to the engagement handle that allows engagement / disengagement from below?
Then there's fabricating a bracket that allows the winch of small enough size to sit between frame rails, below radiator, doesn't interfere with steering linkage, sits far enough back etc etc. Obviously, very do-able with enough measuring and fabrication.

Good luck. Super cool idea.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I like this idea because I can throw a d shackle in the receiver and have a front recovery point (For chebbies to attach to, TO BE TOWED out lol) and I will also have the ability to winch from the front or the back.

Get a old rear receiver hitch from a junk yard and get it modded to fit in between the front frame rails. I am sure there is a way to cut thru and not destroy the chrome on the bumper. Use your license plate to cover the hole. With a flip up or removable mount.

Get a quality receiver hitch winch plate (HB is NOT quality in this application) some elec QD's for the front and rear. Also make some cable with winch wire QD on one end and jumper cable clamps on the other, that way you can use the winch on ANY vehicle with a rear receiver hitch.

I can put my winch in the front, rear and even in my rock sliders. Also use it on any truck and my trailer has a attachment point.

Attachments

• b15.jpg
    b15.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 100
  • bronco 1.jpg
    bronco 1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
T

Thaynereid

Get a old rear receiver hitch from a junk yard and get it modded to fit in between the front frame rails. I am sure there is a way to cut thru and not destroy the chrome on the bumper. Use your license plate to cover the hole. With a flip up or removable mount.

Get a quality receiver hitch winch plate (HB is NOT quality in this application) some elec QD's for the front and rear. Also make some cable with winch wire QD on one end and jumper cable clamps on the other, that way you can use the winch on ANY vehicle with a rear receiver hitch.

I can put my winch in the front, rear and even in my rock sliders. Also use it on any truck and my trailer has a attachment point.

I think this is the route I’m gonna go, even though I really love the look of the winch behind the bumper. I think there’s too many factors that come into play, i.e. the winch controls and the steering linkage and all that.

I picked up a receiver hitch today, and I’m gonna work on making it fit in between the frame rails during the next couple weeks. Thank you everybody for the input!

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
If you want some measurement of my custom built heavy duty receiver hitch winch plate, let me know.

FYI the piece sticking down has since been cut off, that was a different trailer mount mod.

Attachments

• front and rear bumpers 014.jpg
    front and rear bumpers 014.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 54
  • front and rear bumpers 012.jpg
    front and rear bumpers 012.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 71
  • front and rear bumpers 002.jpg
    front and rear bumpers 002.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 54
  • winch plate.png
    winch plate.png