• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Cummins Diesel

ame

AME... I'M also confused about what the VM is .. I'm thinking I know but tonight, the term has left me.
.. Now since your a Newbe I don't know your back ground for Diesels. But I threw in several other motors that we worked on while I worked for the Chrysler Dealership. My experience was I worked there for 7 years . & We were worked on 100 diesel truck a week. I believe I left their services in 2010. From about 2005 up to 2011 Dodge sent their truck out with a fuel filter system that had 10 micron of filtration. 10 WAS NOT FINE ENOUGH .. Fass did offer a frame rail add on It 1st had a 5 mic. later it was changed to a 3 micron. It cost about $650.00 up to a grand from our Stealership. & The customer was required to pay for it.
........Now the last year I was there I had to handle 5 truck still in Warranty .. Motors went bad .. It cost so much to fix the motors that it totaled the trucks. Warranty would not cover the dirty fuel syndrome ..
We also owned a Chevy dealership across town They had some problems but nothing like our quite dodge trucks.
.. Now my old 4BT CUMMINS IT'LL RUN ON DIRTY OIL FROM MY MOTOR.. Not recommended but it'll run.

VM is owned by Fiat and supplied the motors used in the Liberty, which is why I dont understand why you brought up the liberty diesel in a cummins thread.

I worked for a Caterpillar dealer for 5 years and another 5 years as a field service mechanic for a New Holland (FPT/Case), Takehuci and Kubota dealer but have worked on alot of difference OTR and Ag equipment and done various other mechanical things over the last 15 years.

I now work for a company that specializes in high end suspension for the Ram HD platform and am around these trucks alot. I wont disagree that the filtration could have been better but you make is sound like the majority of 5.9 cummins are going so self destruct which is not accurate at all. The 6.6 Duramax, especially early ones, seem to have far more injector problems then the Cummins do and they are more expensive to replace assuming a bad injector did not wash out the rings. Fords have plenty of injector issues as well and I know people that have had to pay for very expensive repairs due to bad fuel regardless of brand. It seems up until recently none of the manufactures put truly adequate filtration on the truck.

I have also worked with a good number of power packs, many common rail and the reality is they are pretty damn reliable when set up right.

I personally run a Fass stand alone pump with a Racor R90S 2 micron filter that is one of the best for water separation as moisture is a big issue.

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I bought a diesel powered vehicle with a Racor on it. It stopped the water in the fuel. Unfortunately it also stopped the engine from running because the paper element, when water soaked, is a barrier to fuel flow and it has no indicator of water in the bowl. The OP mounted the filter such that you could not easily see the side of the bowl (not that he had many options in that cramped engine bay). Took me quite a while to figure out what was going on.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WELL you've got as much experience as I do. Man While I WORKED at the dealership It was every single day that we had those dodge truck come in with many fuel issues..
I'm sorry but I feel like it was Catastrophic.. Like I said I had to handle the warranty that didn't cover on .. While just the last year I was there we had 5 bills so high it totaled the trucks. I'm saying $23,000 for a complete motor job.
.. & I'll bet in the last 5 years I was there We had over 250 jobs that customers paid for from 5000 up to 15000.
... Now I will admit that since I've left there I've not been able to find what they techs are doing to those truck now.
.. Then my grand sons both came him with 2008.. I just hung my heads .. They told me I didn't know what I was talking about.. I just shook my head in dismay.
.Thank Goodness they've both now traded them off. One of those I thought was getting the shakes but he managed to get rid of it.
.......... Also I guess what state do you live in .. Cn you put a Late model in your Bronco & get it inspected.. Easy for me but I'd hate to live in Calif.

ame

WELL you've got as much experience as I do. Man While I WORKED at the dealership It was every single day that we had those dodge truck come in with many fuel issues..
I'm sorry but I feel like it was Catastrophic.. Like I said I had to handle the warranty that didn't cover on .. While just the last year I was there we had 5 bills so high it totaled the trucks. I'm saying $23,000 for a complete motor job.
.. & I'll bet in the last 5 years I was there We had over 250 jobs that customers paid for from 5000 up to 15000.
... Now I will admit that since I've left there I've not been able to find what they techs are doing to those truck now.
.. Then my grand sons both came him with 2008.. I just hung my heads .. They told me I didn't know what I was talking about.. I just shook my head in dismay.
.Thank Goodness they've both now traded them off. One of those I thought was getting the shakes but he managed to get rid of it.
.......... Also I guess what state do you live in .. Cn you put a Late model in your Bronco & get it inspected.. Easy for me but I'd hate to live in Calif.

I agree you see the worst working at a dealer, I dont know how New Holland doesnt got broke from warranty but in reality we never saw the ones that did not have issues which was the majority of them. No offense but I dont think your dealer had the customers best interest in mind, a crate 5.9 Cummins should be 13-15K , 23k is insane! I live in Oregon now but am from Ca, very glad not to have smog here.

Majority of people I talk to with Cummins, 5-15 a day, are on the original block with 100-500k miles, sure there are always a handful that dont make it but the majority are pretty good.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
YES I THINK ABOUT 16k just for the motor But then lots of other stuff. Labor I Think we charged 33 hours .. But then steam cleaning the tank .Adding on filter systems .
It was ugly.. They fired me because they said I told the customers too much information. I had to sell this crap to that customer.
.... Funny after they fired me I had 400 phone calls for over9 months ... Asking me to explain what that poor customer had been told . At Supper at night in a restaurant I'd have 3 people come to me & shake my hand or ask for an expatiation. I began to think I could run for Sheriff.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Me and my step dad own a Cummins dealership and I recently installed the 3.8 big brother to that engine on the back of a vacon sewer storm drain truck. Those engines have very little to do with Cummins, they are made in China and do not resemble Cummins at all really. Fuel system is Bosch so it is similar to the isb family and the egr valve looked familiar. But that is it. I'm assuming they do not require or use aftertreatment(dpf and scr with Def fluid)? Oil pan was plastic on the one I installed. I was not impressed. But they have high hopes for the company making them, that they now own.

CraigS

Hard to gauge problems by how many people bring them in to be worked on. No one brings in the ones that don't have problems.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... We kept saying that we felt like 25% of what we were selling where having troubles.. But these are after hour meeting when the tech & Us service advisors shop foremen & the service managers.. All got together to discuss problems over a few beers.
.. Our sale department hated us. But they just promised the world.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
That's typical Sales in any industry. The really good Sales guys only promise what they know they can deliver. The rest promise what ever it takes to make the sale today not understanding or caring that some people have extremely long memories. My mother bought a new car from the same guy almost 30 years apart because he was one of the good guys. He'd have never gotten that second sale had he been one of the others.

EB70

Just curious, has anyone done anymore research on this or installed one? I've researched a few other diesels, and this one is somewhat intriguing to me.

Any real world experience in a Bronco?

bchesley

Just curious, has anyone done anymore research on this or installed one? I've researched a few other diesels, and this one is somewhat intriguing to me.

Any real world experience in a Bronco?

I can’t remember what shop is currently installing one but Cummins has an Instagram page of new builds. They posted a couple of weeks ago a teaser of a bronco build that will use the new 2.8 for a repower. The page is called cumminsrepowerofficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB70

OK cool I will check it out. I know it is not hard to mate this to the AX-15 from a Jeep etc. Seems like it would be a nice swap.

I am in the minority though, I am generally not a "hot rod" early Bronco guy. Stock 302 is enough more or less for me.

I will say the thought of an over 20 MPG EB is really tempting.

NAK

Krawlers Edge is installing the Cummins 2.8 in an EB; I believe they are using their modified frame though.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i think it would be awesome in a compact truck, ranger, s-10, etc. still not sold on the diesels in the early bronco, i am fine with a 302. but if krawlers edge is buiilding one, i def will take a look :)