• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Cummins Diesel

Nothing Special

I'm thnking that's the engine that Dirt Every Day put in a TJ Wrangler in episode 54 (to drive a Jeep under water, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icp2Pb5uoME) and then in episode 58 did a more real-world (at least above water, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H5dM-hxdU) comparison against gas engines in TJs.

From those shows (or commercials?) it looks like a pretty good package. A reasonable swap of an engine that works really well in an on/off road driven bobtail.

The thing that makes any diesel a non-starter for me in a trail vehicle is the smell. I followed one on a trail once and I had a hard time staying far enough behind that its exhaust smell wasn't sickening my passengers. I don't know if it smelled like that in the diesel Jeep that was ahead of me, but even if it didn't, I wouldn't subject the people with me to it.

But in a vehicle that I never expected to go 'wheeling with it looks like a great option (pending the price of course)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Talking with AA at SEMA. Didn't have exact price, but under $10k for engine and under $15k for complete repower to the driveshafts as done in tubesock (engine/trans/Atlas). Weight isn't bad.

As for power they are OK. The one I drove was backed with a ZF 8-speed in a Frontier and was tuned to about 200 HP. It drove nice, no performance rocket. I haven't driven one with an MT yet, but I hear it can be pretty sweet from those I talked to that have drove it.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I'll say they will be a night mare.. .. I WORKED AT CHRYSLER When they put the Diesel into the Jeep Liberty. It was awful. Fuel Problems & trans trouble for every.
... Then I had chances to get several of the Liberty motors. & I also had a chance to get one of the 5 cyl. Mercedes. motors.
... But all the tech told me I could never get one of them to run properly .. Due to there was so much computer issues to hook up.
... I trusted them.
....... & If you bought one of the new Cummings then you have $20,000. for a motor . & you'll need the computer about another $1000.00. off the top of my head. Maybe even another grand for a wiring harness. . THEN the Diagnosis equipment. & a Guru to use it .. Several more thousands.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... ANY OF THE QUITE DIESEL MOTORS. tHEY HAVE high fuel rail pressures . Noisy was about 1200 lbs . But the Quiets are 25,000 lbs .. So ''When not if'' ANY DUST goes through the fuel system .. you get Injector damage .. Fuel .. Water ... Dust.. & Real dirt ... One of our diesel test , was to simpley pull your fuel cap .. That a white terry cloth towel or just a white paper towel. Place it around the screw threads of the cap & TWIST. If there was any gray from the threads ... Then your warranty was VOIDED..
They are too sensitive. I can not find what they've done to stop getting in Class Action laws suits.
... But they fired me because I was too much of a friend of the Consumer...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No,
Under $10k for motor, harness, computer, all you need to make it run. This is from talking to people with the actual engine used in tube sock right in front of me. The actual engine used in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icp2Pb5uoME
And how it was setup with a new trans (manual) and Atlas transfer case I was quoted under $15k. These are not pie in the sky numbers, but stuff quoted directly to me at SEMA while standing in the Advance Adaptors booth.

After that talk I went upstairs to the off-road hall and stopped by the Cummins booth (which happen to back up to the Hanson Bumpers booth) where they had that exact Jeep, just not submarine ready anymore. Still had a 2.8 under the hood, just not the exact one that ran under water.

Spoiler: Watch Dirt everyday. I believe the next episode will be a repower showdown. It will be Jeeps, but read between the lines. I think it is 3 engines, one stock, second a Hemi swap, third being the little Cummins. We will probably learn a lot about how they compare once that hits the web.

Nothing Special

....Spoiler: Watch Dirt everyday. I believe the next episode will be a repower showdown. It will be Jeeps, but read between the lines. I think it is 3 engines, one stock, second a Hemi swap, third being the little Cummins. We will probably learn a lot about how they compare once that hits the web.

That episode is already out on YouTube (posted Dec 27). It's the second link I posted above (the first is the underwater episode)

And it wasn't a great comparison. The diesel burned less fuel (and the 4.0 six burned more than the Chevy V8). And they noted that the 4.0L six couldn't pull fifth gear on a hill that they thought the diesel would have. But other than that they didn't give much head-to-head comparison. They did say that the diesel worked great, idling at 800 rpm over everything (but so does the 302 in my Bronco with an Atlas transfer case like Tubesock has). And the diesel's plastic (excuse me, "composite") oil pan broke when the Jeep was dropped on a rock.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was thinking it was a little late for another Dirt Everyday... Didn't realize that was already out.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The power numbers seem a bit down for an EB, but as delivered would work well in my first gen 4runner. It will never happen for these reasons: I want a diesel for simplicity, not electronics; and throttle by wire.

ame

... I'll say they will be a night mare.. .. I WORKED AT CHRYSLER When they put the Diesel into the Jeep Liberty. It was awful. Fuel Problems & trans trouble for every.
... Then I had chances to get several of the Liberty motors. & I also had a chance to get one of the 5 cyl. Mercedes. motors.
... But all the tech told me I could never get one of them to run properly .. Due to there was so much computer issues to hook up.
... I trusted them.
....... & If you bought one of the new Cummings then you have $20,000. for a motor . & you'll need the computer about another $1000.00. off the top of my head. Maybe even another grand for a wiring harness. . THEN the Diagnosis equipment. & a Guru to use it .. Several more thousands.

Im really confused why you are comparing a VM to a Cummins??? Completely different engines and different animals. Injectors are not much of an issue with good fuel filtration, Ive put well over 500k miles on common rail engines and with proper water filtration they are actually very reliable.

The horse power would be a little low but low end torque and fuel mileage would be killer. As for the smell common rail engines burn much cleaner then older mechanically injected or HEUI injected diesels.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think a diesel in an EB would be cool. I even have some parts needed to do this as being a diesel fan I thought I'd go that route at some point.

However, dollar for dollar, I think I'd go with a 351W based motor in these things unless you just want something different than the next guy. And I get that too. I have zero remorse in going with my stroker but maybe it's not for everyone. A mildly-built roller block stroker seems like a great engine (mine's not a roller).

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Craig since I've been a farmer all my life. I guess the pull of the diesel got me. I use my Bronco in the pastures & My gas ride got terrible mileage maybe 4 mpg & I couldn't run it 20 minutes before it was hot again.
... So I put in the little 4BT IT IS AS DEPENDABLE as an old tractor .. It doesn't get hot ..It get about 16 mpg & It'll pull anything.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pa PITT I've seen what you do with your rig. You USE it. :cool: I'd go with a 4BT for your application for sure! Probably a lot of other applications a diesel would be a good motor for. I use mine for a pretty specific application.

I'm just thinking dollar for dollar. I see threads for the Coyote and Ecoboost motors and I can't even imagine those compare dollar for dollar.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
AME... I'M also confused about what the VM is .. I'm thinking I know but tonight, the term has left me.
.. Now since your a Newbe I don't know your back ground for Diesels. But I threw in several other motors that we worked on while I worked for the Chrysler Dealership. My experience was I worked there for 7 years . & We were worked on 100 diesel truck a week. I believe I left their services in 2010. From about 2005 up to 2011 Dodge sent their truck out with a fuel filter system that had 10 micron of filtration. 10 WAS NOT FINE ENOUGH .. Fass did offer a frame rail add on It 1st had a 5 mic. later it was changed to a 3 micron. It cost about $650.00 up to a grand from our Stealership. & The customer was required to pay for it.
........Now the last year I was there I had to handle 5 truck still in Warranty .. Motors went bad .. It cost so much to fix the motors that it totaled the trucks. Warranty would not cover the dirty fuel syndrome ..
We also owned a Chevy dealership across town They had some problems but nothing like our quite dodge trucks.
.. Now my old 4BT CUMMINS IT'LL RUN ON DIRTY OIL FROM MY MOTOR.. Not recommended but it'll run.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...OK Not where I was going in my mind ..But In the old BT series there were 2 styles of pumps . Rotary & something else .The p PUMP but I'm not remembering what it was.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Vita Motori or something close to that.

P7100 was the BT series inline IP. Have one myself. Nice engine & decent chassis, too bad it comes wrapped in Dodge sheet metal.