• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hawse fairlead question

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I am getting ready to mill out a few of these... I have 1" thick stock and 3/4" thick billet...

Is 1" overkill? I milled one out and it seems very thick to me... Just wondering what others thought?

Greg

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Look at Factor 55 to compare. They have both sizes if I remember correctly.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The one on a Warn 9k power plant measures 1.25", so no I don't think 1" would be overkill

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Can you put a bigger radius on the 1 inch than the 3/4 inch?

If you can it would be worth the extra thickness, if not then no need to go bigger.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like the others have said, you almost can't be too thick unless you start negatively impacting your approach/departure angles with the fairlead and just make it a rock magnet. Bigger radius is gentler on the rope.

Are you going to hard anodize it/them for abrasion resistance?

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I have about 8' of stock.... so how ever many that yields. I have a friend who does special coatings. Thinking he can do the hard anodizing for me... checking on that.