• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

J-Pattern to Twin-Stick

76BroncoPete

I'm thinking about replacing the J-pattern shifter with a twin-stick setup in the near future and was curious about some of the differences between vendors. I am leaning towards The JB Fabrication setup. I know Duff, TBP, and WH have there own systems and it appears that the graveyard carries JB. I was hoping to get some feedback on what setup you guys have used and maybe some pros and cons on their performance and installation ease between the different vendors, especially if you have used multiple setups and noticed any difference. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I like the JB Fab. John makes a good product and is very helpful. His customer service is outstanding,IMO.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Good to know. Good customer service is always makes me more comfortable making these kinds of purchases.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
My current and last set work perfect, but my feedback is check the bends in all of them.

I don't want to slam any, but mine can touch my knee which bothers me. Be prepared to add more bend in them.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
While I have no experience with any of the others, as a machinist I can say that the JB Fab twin sticks are first rate work.
I would not hesitate to buy from them again or to recommend them.

Every Bronco is different, so it should come as no surprise that you may need to make adjustments to shifter angles or bends.
One size fits all is a myth.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am running TBP stainless twin sticks.
Got it because it was stainless.
But Skyan is right about odd bends.
Mine were bent towards my legs.
Straightened them in my press. Perfect now.

If I had to do it over again I would probably get Duffs. I really like their cover plate and boot ring.

But my TBP twin sticks still work fine, are stainless, and were pretty darn inexpensive too.

And by the way, twin sticks are my second favorite mod I have ever done to my eb after 35+ years of ownership.
Much more likely to go 4 wheeling knowing that I can get it in and out of 4wd.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
All the vendors will have a good twin stick so you can't go wrong with any of them. But most Vendors have a "specialty" item that they do best. JB's specialty item is his twin stick.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got JB to replace my J, never had to rebend and they work great. No experience with the others

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
While I have no experience with any of the others, as a machinist I can say that the JB Fab twin sticks are first rate work.

Every Bronco is different, so it should come as no surprise that you may need to make adjustments to shifter angles or bends.

Bingo, pretty much sums it up.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Thanks for the responses, lots of good points. Keep'em coming if you've got anything to add.

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX

I agree, I have ordered from Jon more than once, first rate worksmanship, no shortcuts, and amazing customer service - even to the point of answering questions on email before I ordered anything.

Attachments

• 20180519_154654.jpg
    20180519_154654.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 89

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
The twin stick mod really shines if you take the time to pull the pins and modify them.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The twin stick mod really shines if you take the time to pull the pins and modify them.
No pin pullin on a J. There's only one and it keeps the rails from moving too far in and out which keeps the forks from wearing into the sliding gears. I just rebuilt one that had this problem.

Attac

Contributor
I put the stainless on my bronco and with 1" body lift I had to bend them a little to be "just right". Wasn't any big deal. On my sons and my buddies we used the JB and they were perfect right out the box. These also have the 1" body lift on the Broncos they were installed in.
Just some more info
Chuck

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Anyone have a picture of the Duff shifters installed? I like the looks of the black billet knobs from JB.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!

Since I'm running an M5OD transmission, I had no choice but to ditch the jshifter and go twinstick. This trans moves the shifters back further and basically right at the front corner of the drivers seat. Bending the JB Fab shifters was easy enough and allowed me to set them up to be comfortable for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Nice first person perspective shot there to show proximity to the driver's seat and leg