• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sheet metal welder input needed

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
We did my rig with the little Hobart 140 with the gas bottle, worked great and it runs on 110. I'm thinking about getting a 180 or similar, we prefer the Miller. Those dam Harbor freight ones are tempting me, very good looking cases on them, and their getting good reviews too,decisions decisions. %)

Same here man.. hard to turn away from them lower price ones.. but you get wat ya pay for

rpmgarage22

I have Millers (210, Thunderbolt), Hobart (Handler 180), Craftsman (AC stick), Lincoln (140), the Vulcan Protig 200, and the Vulcan 140. The Vulcans are every bit as good as the reviews...I love both of mine.

As said, duty cycle is very important. But, also check amperage requirements (recptacle side, not the unit). My Vulcan 140 has to have a 20 amp circuit, with nothing else drawing on it, or it is unpredictable.

My Lincoln will weld on a 15 amp circuit, with other things turned on. But, it will not burn in as hot as the Vulcan either. Truthfully, the Vulcan is the best 120v welder I have ever used, when it gets a good circuit.

My Miller and Hobart are better 240v welders.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love my Eastwood 135. Bought about 4 years ago, have used it quite a bit and zero issues with it and tough to beat the cost.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Dave67fd that is good to hear. Right now I have narrowed it down to the Eastwood or the Hobart. I went to the local weld supply store and they were really pushing the Miller 141 but I don't want or need to spend the extra $300-$400 on that when compared to the Eastwood or Hobart. I can use that extra money for gas and a cart unless I build my own cart, which I had planned on doing.

rpmgarage22

Also, when you are considering gas bottles, check your local codes. In TN, 80cuft and down are considered "user owned" and do not require ID numbers to get them refilled. You basically "buy-in" the first bottle, then it is an exchange program like with propane at the box stores.
If you go larger than 80cuft (in TN, at least), you must register the bottles, pay monthly lease fees, and wait while on site that bottle is refilled.
Even though I go through quite a bit of gas in a year, it was cheaper for me to "buy-in" with three 80cuft bottles, and do the exchange thing, than to go with the 120cuft or bigger bottles.
Also, keeping a higher number of smaller bottles keeps the gas "fresher" and reduces leak off (no matter how good you "seal" em, the more connections you have in line, the more gas you're gonna waste).
The down side is that someone could steal your smaller bottles and there is no real traceability. With the larger bottles, here at least, you literally have to show your ID when getting the bottle filled. It does act as a theft deterrent.