• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new radiator

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Do you use the Bronco off road or only on the street?

If you use it off road you should buy cheap aluminum radiators and consider them disposable.
The core support flexes and aluminum is prone to metal fatigue far more than the copper/brass radiators Broncos were built to use.
So don't waste your money on an expensive aluminum radiator for an off road Bronco, either buy cheap (and replace often) or stick with the copper/brass radiators.

Aluminum was switched to because it is cheaper not better, and the bean counters always have the final say.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I run the Champion American Eagle bronco radiator and it;s done well for the past 2 plus years now.

I also run an electric fan. The one WH sells. It too has down well. Keeps my 351W cool in the AR summers......

I suggest an upgraded Alt if you plan to run an electric fan.

Tim

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had the cheap Champion 3 row aluminum radiator (from Ebay) for 10 years and it's been awesome. If you live is a hot climate (Like here in Florida) I recommend using a good mechanical fan and shroud. I tried several different electric fans and they just didn't cut it when it get over 90 degrees.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Buying a good over sized radiator is such a huge piece of mind for me. Like a good alt, battery and starter. I hate sitting in traffic watching the temp gage all the fun goes out of it.

I have a re-cored original in my truck - the new core is substantially thicker than the old core. The radiator shop squeezed the thickest core they could on the factory tanks. It cost me $300 but it can be blazing hot outside I can sit in traffic forever and it never over heats.

If you ever have an overheating problem it really sucks and can linger for months or years.

crankman

Never have used an ebay radiator, been using a 4 core from bronco vendor since 2008 my temps stay at 190 deg. I dont go extreme with my ride but a good radiator is a must for me. Use a shroud and rigid fan.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Like PCF Mark, there's something about knowing that the ONLY time your cheap, POS radiator will take a dump is when your using it ...probably on your dream vacation to Moab or someplace you finally talked your "better half" into going!!!! So instead of enjoying your once in a lifetime trip you're now replacing your "disposable" radiator...

Stiffen up the mounts, use soft rubber bushings and you'll be good. I've wheeled the same Bronco for going on 5 decades and literally have rotted radiators to pieces but never had a leak from twisting/tearing... good luck.

Lot's of guys but I don't know if they are mall crawlers are having good luck with cheapo radiators...

OP
OP
B

boydknudsen

Loc.
Watertown
The bronc doesn't see extreme usage except maybe some mud here and there, not much twisty action in the plains here. Aluminum might fit the bill here but I read a review on the champion unit that leaked "everywhere" after two months. I realize there are no guarantees, but I don't like replacing things twice and I'm cheap. Not a good combination.
$215 champion off amazon with free shipping vs Tom's copper $229 + $50 shipping.
Any other experiences on the champion unit out there?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
years ago thats all everybody talked about on here was champion radiators....so they must be a great brand.

I wanted a cheep near stock radiator to replace my old syle that used the remote pressure reservoir. I went with a 300 dollar jeffs bronco stock replacement. 300 bucks seemed dirt cheep for something i new would bolt right in and work flawless for the next 50 years.

Orig93gt

I put a becool in mine. So far so good. Fit great and the bronco never passes 190.

Maddog B

I put that exact EBay radiator in mine and I’m very happy with it. It came packaged well and the tanks are fully welded with no epoxy. It bolted right in and has the tabs for the shroud. Only thing I did was replace the cheap cap that came with it.