• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift kit size?

betzgb

Contributor
I took over an unfinished build up project and in came over in boxes to give you an idea of what I am starting with ;D

Is there any way to tell how much lift is in a set of coil and leaf springs installed but with the weight of the frame only? No body, no engine etc. If not, can I take them off and then measure them and estimate the lift amount? I am looking for 2.5 and 3.5" of lift for my finished project but I can't tell what I am starting with!

Thanks for the ideas...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow I'd hate to be trying to figure that one out. But maybe Paul will check in & have an answer.
... I would think you could maybe remove a rear leaf & Take it to a spring shop & they could measure it against some of theirs. But what a pain.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No part numbers or names on any of the leaf packs or coils?
We can compare coil dimensions easy enough to ours, but not sure how to tell most leaf springs apart at just a glance.

But an initial leaf count can sometimes point is in the right direction.

Bottom line though is, it's not a huge problem because once you'd done a full restoration and if you don't like the stance/height, you won't find removing some springs a big stumbling block!

Oh, and shocks too? Got some part numbers and brand name for us?

Paul

OP
OP
B

betzgb

Contributor
Well a little embarrassed - on closer inspection there is what looks like a ford part number on the leaf pack! :eek:

DOTA 5560B I think it says. possible these are originals? Original to the early broncos or stolen from another F150 or something perhaps? Shocks are amazingly tired red Gabriel (have to go). Front coils are not progressive which may again point to original stuff that was claimed to be a lift kit?

Attachments

• IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 40

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Looks pretty stock to me. Ford rear springs DO=1970. Fronts appear stock too.

Jim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And they would be Bronco springs, as the leaf packs were not interchangeable to pickup trucks.
Only the coil springs were interchangeable (for mounting, but not for height) between F100/150's and Early Broncos.
Maybe if you went back a few years you might find an old pickup truck model that Broncos could use, but doubt it since pickup springs need to be much stiffer for load carrying.
And since they're from the '70 model year design (could have been used for several years after that, but not before) they were probably Bronco only.

Somebody cleaned them up well, but they're old under that nice makeup.
And because the part number is on the bottom leaf (just above the "overload" leaf) you can see that there is no add-a-leaf used in that position.
Still possible one was used above it as part of the lift, but just as easily not.

In lieu of an add-a-leaf, the only way to lift the suspension back then would have been a lift block mounted under the leaf pack, or having them re-arched at a specialty spring shop.
In other words, they're likely not going to give you any lift.

The Gabriel shocks kind of say the same thing, since Gabriel did not make that model for a lifted truck other than maybe up to about 1.5" and certainly not more than 2" lift.

Paul

OP
OP
B

betzgb

Contributor
Ok thanks for all the great information. I am thinking a full makeover with the 2.5" lift from WH as the best option for me since this will mostly be a street vehicle and I want a ride that won't jar my teeth loose :)