• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lead filling body holes

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm planning to leave the body side molding off. This means a considerable amount of hole filling.
I'm trying to avoid getting a MIG welder. Both the cost and space is considerably more than a little flux core welder, but flux core isn't preferable for body work.
I've watched several utubes about lead filling (old school) these body holes.
Has anyone here done this?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you skilled at lead work? It isn't easy. Get a little carried away with the torch and you just warped the panel.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you thought about subbing it out to a buddy who has a welder and or the requisite skills? Even a body shop or sheet metal or welding shop. As Dirty Harry said, "A man should know his limitations". On the other hand there is a LOT to say about DIY determination and pluck. Either way, good luck! Howard in beautiful west Michigan

laserfish

Watched my Granddad do lead work on an old car...very involved process but he made it look easy. Why not live by "new project, new tool". Get the welder, back the holes with a copper sheet and get busy. Lots of videos on line and after you finish you have the welder for the next project. By the time you finish the last hole you will be an expert.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I appreciate the input.
It's not that I don't have some welding skills. I routinely use a MIG welder on the job. It's just that I'm trying to avoid the cost and overcrowding in my garage with the welder/bottle & cart.
I also thought this could be a good option for others in my position.
I remember back in High School auto shop, the teacher had us braze the holes up.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I had some holes welded up on my inner fenders. The body shop used a 3" dia x 2" piece of copper on the underside of the fender to absorb the heat.

Did I mention I was one of those old school guys that brazed up trim holes and then used lead to smooth things out. I wouldn't wouldn't try it on a Bronco. My last job was on a 55 Ford in the late 60's. I noticed that the later the vehicle the thinner the body panels and the the more warping problems. Flat surfaces like the Bronco warp the easiest. Bondo was getting popular but had problems with staying on the body. Lead was the proven method for body work.

I have the dollies, lead paddles, files, hammers and lead in an old Craftsman tool box that I have been thinking about getting rid of. Hasn't been used since the 60's.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Nothing wrong with flux core just a little more splatter. I welded all my trim holes with one. You have to grind the welds any way. Much better than having an empty weld bottle all the time. Dont have a welder or want one get every thing ready to weld then go to home depot and rent a flux core welder for the day. Back up the holes with copper and weld away. Go to the plumbing department and get a piece of copper and pound it flat. Make it long enough to have a handle.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
TV show had a guy who did not know how to lead try it, looked horrible, and he had the guy who knew how to do it helping him learn. Just replace the panel, you'll save time and money and it will be done right.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you lived near me I would happily tip weld the holes closed in exchange for the old trim!

Tig welding does a much nicer job and warps a lot less.

Dibs on the trim!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Like 72Sport, I used lead on older cars also... mid '70's was the last time I did any extensive work with lead...

I used to build '55-56 Chevy's...loooong time ago... nobody had a wire feed at home... I used lead to repair several sets of eyebrows on these restorations. Unless you are using too much heat, you have a slim chance of warping a panel because lead melts at a very low temp so the panel won't have a chance of warpng.

Lead fills holes easily. If you want to use your flux core, weld in a pc of a lighter gauge using copper as a backer to keep from burning thru. Just tack it in place in a couple places and do the rest with lead. Should work just fine. I still have several old sticks of body filler lead in my drawer, saw them tonight in fact while out in the shop.

Go for it, it will work great.