• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fitech

chuck1022

Contributor
Is it still the leading product for those of us that want to upgrade to 1987 GM TBI technology? It seemed to be all the rage......or is like the internet, ....a fad that will be going away?

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I read reviews and watched a lot of videos and it seemed like the sniper was the way to go. I just put it on and did the first start up. Since the rain stopped I'll probably drive it this weekend.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I just did the same with FiTech. We can compare notes. Hopefully good ones.

I read reviews and watched a lot of videos and it seemed like the sniper was the way to go. I just put it on and did the first start up. Since the rain stopped I'll probably drive it this weekend.

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I just did the same with FiTech. We can compare notes. Hopefully good ones.

So far I’m happy. It fired right up and idled rich and fast. Once it warmed up I read the instructions and lowered the idle and it went right to 13.5-1.
The hardest part of the install was the return line to the tank. And deciding which fuel lines to run.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
It does seem like the sniper has taken over as king of the " out of the box" systems. I did have problems with my FiTech in the beginning, but after getting all the kinks worked out, it is a fine system. My problem is I don't drive it enuff so it can learn and react accordingly. I do plan on tweaking it this year to get optimal performance and reliability. I have my eye on another project too, and if I get it I will go sniper with that one, I like the Holley products to be honest, Great customer support and been around for years. ;)

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ordered mine 2 years ago. They were back ordered all summer so I sat and waited. Once installed, which didn't take too long, it ran ok, but not great. I attempted to make adjustments but they didn't help. Once I got to looking at things, my idle was all over the board on the readout though the engine was just purring along. Decided I needed to upgrade my ignition system to a Duraspark II from the factory points distributor. Once that was installed and adjusted the Fitech 400 runs pretty decent now. Hoping to get miles on it this spring to allow it time to learn.

Hoping the fuel command center doesn't take a dive on me. Planned to use both fuel tanks, but if the FCC is troubling I may just go with a large rear tank and a transfer from the auxiliary if I think I still need the capacity.

I'm curious if my carbed setup was struggling due to the ignition not being correct, thus the push to go EFI when I did.

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
It does seem like the sniper has taken over as king of the " out of the box" systems. I did have problems with my FiTech in the beginning, but after getting all the kinks worked out, it is a fine system. My problem is I don't drive it enuff so it can learn and react accordingly. I do plan on tweaking it this year to get optimal performance and reliability. I have my eye on another project too, and if I get it I will go sniper with that one, I like the Holley products to be honest, Great customer support and been around for years. ;)

In the end that was my deciding factor. Holley has given me better customer support than any company I have experienced. They sent me a new truck avenger just because they came out with a 470 and I wanted it more than my 670. I was leery of the fuel injection kits and figured a few hundred bucks extra is a bargain for that kind of support.

bam

Contributor
Loc.
Laurel, Ms
all girls garage has an episode on the sniper kit on a 71 Lincoln. sweet set up.
I would get that set up for sure if the girls would help me install it.

needsmoarturbo

I've been waiting on fitech to ship my fuel pump for 2 months now, if you want an indicator of their customer service.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fitech: Didn't answer the phone first few attempts, didn't know, said just plain silly technical stuff that was absolutely wrong.

Holley: had the answers, told me of shortcomings, accurate technical info,

My experience with either of them,

FAST was also as good as Holley but much more racer inclined.

Edelbrock in same field as Holley.