• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

M5R2 swap...

stumitch

I know this has been discussed to death but I wonder if anyone has installed the 2WD M5R2 in an early Bronco with a Dana 20...it is really long but the transfer case input shaft splines actually slides onto the tranny output. I was thinking of machining the shaft diameter to match the original and keep the seals. I have the tranny and all the goodies but am I trying to do something kinda stupid?
:eek:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
How do you plan to mate the 2wd tail shaft housing to the Dana 20 input side?

OP
OP
S

stumitch

Not sure yet... I was concerned about length first... whether it would fit... with a rear driveshaft about 6" long :)
Has it been done?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Most of the 2wd to 4x4 transmission conversions I know of have been automatics.

Most likely you are on your own on this both in design and fabrication, or will be paying someone else for that, because as far as I know that has never been done before.

It would be cheaper and simpler to search for a 4x4 M5OD-R2, they were used in a lot of F150 trucks for many years.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure if you were exaggerating on the length remaining of the driveshaft, or not. But no, a 6" driveshaft is just not going to work unless you're going to lower the suspension, run a high-pinion rear end, and ditch the slip shaft.
The double-cardan yoke alone is longer than 6" by the time you weld it to something. Then the slip-yoke is longer than 6" long by the time it's welded to something. Even if you used just enough tube to connect the dots, you'd have a 12" to 18" shaft most likely.
Just guessing off the top of my head of course. But it's not going to work.

Now, if that was just an over-statement of the transmissions overall length (I have no idea how long it is myself) then maybe there is still room. But once you get there, you still have to make allowances for angles and such.

Up to you of course, but that free-because-you-have-it transmission might turn out to be more expensive than buying another one and selling this one to help offset the cost.

Good luck. Whichever way you go, we want lots of pics!

Paul

Btempy

I wouldn't bother trying to make 2wd tranny work. the M5OD/M5R2 Just about any junkyard or local classified can be had for under $200 for the 4x4 version. ZF5 is the more popular swap. The M5OD bolts in just the same. either use np205 that comes with it or get the AA adapter for the dana 20 t case.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I wouldn't bother trying to make 2wd tranny work. the M5OD/M5R2 Just about any junkyard or local classified can be had for under $200 for the 4x4 version. ZF5 is the more popular swap. The M5OD bolts in just the same. either use np205 that comes with it or get the AA adapter for the dana 20 t case.

NP205 does not come with the M5OD or the ZF5, they are from different generations of F series trucks and the transfer cases that do come with the M5OD or ZF5 are too wide to fit between the frame rails of an early Bronco.

Other than that I agree.

cleanportland

Loc.
Sherwood, OR
NP205 does not come with the M5OD or the ZF5, they are from different generations of F series trucks and the transfer cases that do come with the M5OD or ZF5 are too wide to fit between the frame rails of an early Bronco.

Other than that I agree.
True but it can be used with little modifications... Or so I've been told, I have both the zf and m5odr2 2wd and a np205... My understanding is that you need the 4x4 shifter plate and linkage(internals) to make the 2wd m5od work. I am interested to hear from anybody that knows, as I haven't made any decisions on what I am going to do yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA

Other than that I agree.
I thought the NP205 bolts right up to the MROD-R2.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

I thought the NP205 bolts right up to the MROD-R2.

Bolts to the 4x4 version of the M5OD-R2? Yes.

Comes with it in the same truck? NO.