• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cowl fitment

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
hey all!

test fitting new upper and lower cowl. got some questions...…

Pic 1 shows the odd gaps on the passenger side......Does this get filled with mass amount of seam sealer?? seems like it would make more sense just to add a piece and weld up shut.

Pic 2 shows the square hole for fender clip on inner fender.

Pic 3 shows the new panel has a hole but is about an inch plus off. Guess a new hole needs to be drilled for that??

Any help appreciated!!

Thx!

Attachments

• passenger side gap 1.jpg
    passenger side gap 1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 125
  • drivers side hole for fender clip.jpg
    drivers side hole for fender clip.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 114
  • drivers side lower cowl hole for fender clip.jpg
    drivers side lower cowl hole for fender clip.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 112

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Subscribed. There are odd large rectangular holes on one, or on both sides of the cowl sometimes, but yours does look a little off. Like something is missing still.

Maybe give 904Bronco a quick PM to join the conversation. He's just through doing one, and has done others, including the one on my '68.

Good luck!

Paul

OP
OP
m_m70

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
found the issue.

looked at the original upper cowl and the lip that you spot weld to is tapered.

The new cowl is not and goes straight across leaving the 3/8th gap on the passenger side end.

Cant send this cowl back as I've already done some trimming on it :mad:.

Called vendor when I received this in a 66-68 marked box and they said it was right and the box was wrong. I can only assume that the box was right.

Going to have to completely butcher this nice piece to get it to work.

Jamie Chriss

I can see it is off! keep in mind with the new metal there will always be some bending a grinding to every piece. You will have to do some cutting and pasting to make it look right. I had to actually weld in a piece of meta, I also had to cut back the tab a bit. It might help you to draw a straight line across for a reference point. see picture

Attachments

• Cowl 2.jpg
    Cowl 2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Cowel !.jpg
    Cowel !.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Inkedpassenger side gap 1_LI.jpg
    Inkedpassenger side gap 1_LI.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
m_m70

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Thanks Jamie!
Yeah I get metal work and expectations of aftermarket pieces and believe me there is NO rant from me here! Just some confusion. Very nice panels really and would be perfect for heater air delete!

See pics below how I worked around the issue...…

Pic 1 is what I cut out

Pic 2 is where I plan on filling the gaps

Attachments

• cut cowl.jpg
    cut cowl.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 67
  • cut cowl 3.jpg
    cut cowl 3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 69

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
heres a pic of my upper cowel...may help you figure out what it should look like IMG_0342.jpg

Jamie Chriss

I ended up cutting both and areas in red out and fitted new pieces in there. Looking much better!

OP
OP
m_m70

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
nice man!
got mine cut, reworked and screwed together today and ready for a test fit. If all goes well ready to weld.