• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI swap questions

76b-ronk

Hello
So I have a 76 bronco, came stock with a 302 and c4. About 4 years ago I got a HO 5.0L out of a 89 Lincoln which was low km. At the time I had no interest in the efi or serpentine set up. I stripped the motor, New timing chain, oil pump, put on the bronco oil pan, front v belt accessories, my duel plane intake and Holley double pumper. It works great and runs well. I am about to start a major swap. I have a ZF5 speed to swap in, and really want the serpentine setup now for the hassle free set up, better alternator and power steering pump to run a hydroboost setup. Well tomorrow I am picking up a 96 explorer with the 5.0L engine, the whole thing for 400$. It doesn't run and has high kms. I am quite excited to obtain that serpentine setup, I know the power steering pump should work with a hydroboost. My main question is can I bolt on the whole intake system and make the efi work on my 89 motor? Can i bolt the gt40 heads right onto my 89HO with no mods? I read if you use the gt40p heads onto a 89ish HO you needed to upgrade the springs. This is if the heads are in ok shape. I am not very educated in the efi world. I play around with carburetor and modern diesel trucks. I believe the 96 motor is obd2 and doesn't use a distributor. How would that work on the early engine that runs a distributor, i assume the later explorer engine uses a crank possition sensor, would the early block hzve a means for this sensor?Also this explorer is a auto. So would the computer out of the explorer run the efi engine properly with the zf5 bolted to it? I know there lots of threads on conversions and different efi write ups. I'd like to read them all, if you could post links to help me that would be great. I'm ready for easy starts in the winter

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
1. Are you SURE the Lincoln motor was an HO 5.0 ? I ask because if I recall only a few models got H.O.'s the rest were non H.O.'s and I don't recall the years

2. Yes, you should be able to bolt up the EFI intake (upper and lower) with no issues.

3. The heads will bolt up with no mods.

4. As to Springs, I recall the 89-95 HO cams - at .006" lift - 276/266 and .444 lift w/1.6's and the 94-97 Explorer - at .006" lift - 256/266 and .422/.448 lift w1.7's I would upgrade springs. Check out Alexparts.com for all your needs.

5. Yes the 96 is OBDII and NO distributor.

6. The Explorer uses a cam synchronizer that drops into the distributor hold. It looks like a distributor with no top.

7. The ECM/computer will need to be programmed. EFIGuy here on the board can hook you up on that.

That's the high level stuff best of my memory.

Tim

OP
OP
76b-ronk

76b-ronk

Thanks Tim, yes forsure a HO motor, i couldn't miss the big HO 5.0 on the intake plenum when taking it off. So this sounds doable then if the cam sensor goes in the distributor hole of the older block.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks Tim, yes forsure a HO motor, i couldn't miss the big HO 5.0 on the intake plenum when taking it off. So this sounds doable then if the cam sensor goes in the distributor hole of the older block.

Far as I know it will drop right in but I've not done it........

Tim

512cadillac

Lincoln engine

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I have a similar set up but with a 87 Lincoln engine. I was thinking of doing the same explorer top end swap and EFI and use the 87 long block since it only has 85K miles. I have been wondering if a certain year explorer might be the better donor and how well the Lincoln cam would work with the re-flashed ECM. Any additional advice would be appreciated. John

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I have a similar set up but with a 87 Lincoln engine. I was thinking of doing the same explorer top end swap and EFI and use the 87 long block since it only has 85K miles. I have been wondering if a certain year explorer might be the better donor and how well the Lincoln cam would work with the re-flashed ECM. Any additional advice would be appreciated. John

If it is not an HO engine it probably has the old 302 firing order, that will cause you problems with the Explorer EFI which is programmed for the HO / 351W firing order since the Explorer cam was also used in F series trucks with the 5.8 and the 5.0 and all had the 351W firing order.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am designing a new intake for the explorer EFI, forward facing like the coyote. Longer runner and uses the stock gt40 lower. Stay tuned:)

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I believe the 96 motor is obd2 and doesn't use a distributor. How would that work on the early engine that runs a distributor, i assume the later explorer engine uses a crank possition sensor, would the early block hzve a means for this sensor?Also this explorer is a auto. So would the computer out of the explorer run the efi engine properly with the zf5 bolted to it?

The crank position sensor mounts on the Explorer timing cover and the Explorer balancer has the tone ring on it to generate the signal. The cam position sensor replaces the distributor, just make sure you use the correct gear for your cam on it. The computer can be programmed to run with a manual trans. I usually recommend keeping the VSS if you run a MT.

If it is not an HO engine it probably has the old 302 firing order, that will cause you problems with the Explorer EFI which is programmed for the HO / 351W firing order since the Explorer cam was also used in F series trucks with the 5.8 and the 5.0 and all had the 351W firing order.

The computer can be programmed to run the old firing order.

OP
OP
76b-ronk

76b-ronk

Sorry for not being up on the lingo abbreviation, I'm assumingnthe VSS is the speed sensor? I will be running a NP205, can this efi run without a vss? So I picked up the explorer this afternoon. I knew it didn't run, bought it anyways for parts. It turns over but no fire, almost wanted to at one point. Any where I should look first, I'm sure not much help until it gets plugged in a codes read. I had one person suggest taking the speed density sensors and computer out of the 88f250 5.8 l and see if I could incorporate it on the explorer intake and swap the distributor guts. He seemed to thing the speed density is quite simple wire wise, any thoughts on this? I'm up in Canada and having to send a computer to the states to get programmed rings beaver bucks in my ears and if somethingnisnt right and I have to send it again I may be at the price of a bolt on efi set up. I'm not sure what the cost is the get a computer programmed?

bsquared

Contributor

76b-ronk, I have the same setup as you (ZF / 205) and just recently went full 96 Explorer EFI after being carbed for a few years. Is rebuilding the Explorer 5.0L an option? (perfect cam, headers, etc)

Since you have the donor vehicle (yay!) then you will be grafting a new engine and firewall harness from what you pull from the Explorer. View EFIGuy videos on youtube. Let me know if you want any info on the the frame support for the NP-205.

Cheers, B2

Attachments

• 4EngineBay.JPG
    4EngineBay.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 131
  • ZFNotch1.JPG
    ZFNotch1.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 96
  • ZFNotch4.JPG
    ZFNotch4.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 88
  • NP205MountedIn.JPG
    NP205MountedIn.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 94
  • NPBolt2.JPG
    NPBolt2.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
76b-ronk

76b-ronk

Bsquared, that looks so clean! That's exactly what I want. If you have any more info you would like to share EFI wise it would be awesome. What did you do for all the sensors for the fuel tank and vapour system? What about the vehicle speed sensor and fuel pump? I also will be doing the hydroboost at the same time. I'd rather buy a gasket kit and just transfer all the explorer stuff to my engine.