• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Sport Survivor...Next steps and recommendations needed.

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

LUBr LuvR - thanks for pics and information. Wasn't able to pull up thread but I know where I can research. Really thinking I may purchase some Rust Freeze and give it a try a short the areas I want to address have seams.

75Denver

I'm not sure your intent and use until replacing pans (if ever), but I used EvapoRust purchased from Summit Racing and was very pleased with the final outcome. It was very easy to use and a quick, easy, eco-friendly cleanup. It revealed more rust than I though I had in the pans...no holes at the start to small pin holes after application. I live in the NV desert and don't plan on using it in the winter snow so I never covered up the ugly rust marks with fresh paint (didn't want to hide anything).

Here's the start/finish pics but by what I can tell, stopped the progression of it and in some spots completely took it dow to bare metal.

Attachments

• IMG_2661.jpg
    IMG_2661.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2720.jpg
    IMG_2720.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2664.jpg
    IMG_2664.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2722.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2826.jpg
    IMG_2826.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

75Denver - nice work! Never have used EvapoRust but have seen it referred To often. Per the comments above and my experience, Ospho does a great job but not good on paint.

How does paint react to EvapoRust? Contemplating not painting as well which is what I've done in the past. After removing rust I've usually sprayed with clear coat by Spray Max and had very good luck. Like you, I don't want to hide anything.

75Denver

75Denver - nice work! Never have used EvapoRust but have seen it referred To often. Per the comments above and my experience, Ospho does a great job but not good on paint.

How does paint react to EvapoRust? Contemplating not painting as well which is what I've done in the past. After removing rust I've usually sprayed with clear coat by Spray Max and had very good luck. Like you, I don't want to hide anything.

As long as you wash it off with warm water and dry it before covering with the floor mat, the paint is the same as before starting. If you want to be extra diligent, a second wash wouldn't hurt. I couldn't imagine a bio-safe product really damaging anything even if you didn't clean it as well as it recommends. All I found was a dried amber film at the end needing a little elbow grease. Buuuut, if you want, I can save you a step in the reassembly and buy that floor mat off you;);D

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

As long as you wash it off with warm water and dry it before covering with the floor mat, the paint is the same as before starting. If you want to be extra diligent, a second wash wouldn't hurt. I couldn't imagine a bio-safe product really damaging anything even if you didn't clean it as well as it recommends. All I found was a dried amber film at the end needing a little elbow grease. Buuuut, if you want, I can save you a step in the reassembly and buy that floor mat off you;);D

From what I've heard, I can get close to "Ooone Miiiillllion Dooolars" for the mat, lol. Mat is in pretty good condition and trying to preserve as best I can.