• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rant about auto makers

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Did you know that you can no longer get a manual transmission in a 4wd pick up?

Ram 2500 or 3500 with turbo diesel is the last available manual. That sucks, I don't need a 3/4 ton rattler and I don't want to drive an automatic every day.

Just had to vent.

OP
OP
1971lubr

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Not anymore you can't, 2wd only now. Looked today even though the frontier is a bit smaller than I need for payload. Even the Tacoma is only in a 2wd.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes you can. I just checked 2 different sources. I just built up a Frontier Pr-4x version crew cab 4x4 in 6MT. It is $1050 more to step down to an automatic.

Yes, there are limitations on what trim levels you can get the manual transmission in, but you can still get it, in 4WD no less.

OP
OP
1971lubr

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Really? According to the website, no. I'll try talking to the local dealer. Thanks. I was shocked both Nissan and Toyota dropped the 6spd options, honestly.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I can only speak for the new Tacoma, but if Toyota has in fact done away with the manual I'm guessing it's because A) they've built the 6-speed auto to shift in such a way to get as good MPG as the manual and B) the auto can be shifted like a manual.

My '17 Tacoma seems like it's already in 4th gear by the time i hit 30 MPH, and I hate it. So I can either learn to manual shift it or try a pre-16 Tacoma with the 5 speed auto. I had a 6 speed manual (2wd) 2011 Tacoma before this one and those gears were just as close, so I'm thinking it's all about MPG these days.

Whatever happened to that new law that all cars and trucks get 35 mpg by such and such date? Or was it that each automaker have one model that gets 35 mph...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Really? According to the website, no. I'll try talking to the local dealer. Thanks. I was shocked both Nissan and Toyota dropped the 6spd options, honestly.

I used the Nissan website to build up a 6MT Frontier, in 4WD. In a couple different trim levels as well. I couldn't build one in king cab, but I could in crew. And the site is a bastard to use. Download the 10-page PDF brochure is probably the best route. The online build it pages are too narrow focused until you know what you really want and what's available.

sriha

It bothers me that most cars that offer manual transmissions limit you to the base models. (Excluding sports cars) Mazda was the only one that offered a decent hatch back that allowed you to choose any trim level. The only manual AWD manual I found is from Subaru. I didn't check any luxury brands though, no need to pay the price of a truck for a car that can't tow. Everything seems to be going the way of the automatic and I don't care for most new transmissions. Mazda seems to have it together yet at least from what I seen in the Mazda 6 but everyone else is more focused on the MPG and wimpy performance.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I just bought a 2016 Tacoma last month.......been looking for a good while for a used/low mileage one with the following: manual tranny (5 or 6 speed), 4 X 4, crew cab and long bed (6 foot). Other options/color didn't matter to me. Looked at every web site for used cars I could think of (ebay, craigslist, cars.com, auto trader, car fax.com, local dealers, etc).

That combination didn't seem to exist......even asked a local Toyota dealer about a new one - didn't think it could be done.

Finally found the '16 on car fax site......just under 28m miles and just under $30,000. Everything I wanted except it was an automatic. Had just spent over $1000 on new front brakes for my '07 Tundra (could see the nickel and diming to death starting with it) so made the trade.

Tundra NEVER got over 15mpg. The other day, I was getting 22.6 mpg LOCALLY (this truck is rated at 19 mpg local and 23 mpg highway). So, gas mileage is GREAT - over 50% increase - but even though it is a 6 cylinder, it is a dog!!! Gotta get used to never pulling out in front of someone and punching it......doesn't do any good!!! I know you can down shift like a manual, but still not the same.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
niya:

May I ask what your above post has to do with manual transmission trucks??

Just checked all posts: just listing these 2 web sites and NOTHING to do with our CLASSIC BRONCOS!!

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I'm not sure whether mine is a 5 speed or 6 speed auto. And, when you buy used, you 'can't always get what you want' or you wait forever to find the 'perfect' vehicle.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I've wanted an F150 with small diesel for 20 years. But noooo, they won't listen.
We have some old friends who drive a Freightliner Cascadia. They learned early on they made more money driving 65 than 80, so they worked with the factory to design a truck for economy rather than for raw horsepower.
Now it's become the standard for medium truck design.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Hey, I like the fuel economy, but Toyota hasn't gotten it right yet - in MY OPINION, at least.

I mentioned my mpg's for both my '07 Tundra and '16 Tacoma above. My buddy, whom I work with a lot, has a '16 Ford F 150 extended cab, with I think an Ecoboost engine ???? Not sure. But, he gets around 29 mpg on mostly local driving!!!

So, basically double of my old Tundra and almost 25% better than my Tacoma. Oh, and his has GUTS!!!

Not sure what Chevy or GMC's get.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure whether mine is a 5 speed or 6 speed auto. And, when you buy used, you 'can't always get what you want' or you wait forever to find the 'perfect' vehicle.

Pops I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad with the automatic. Your transmission is a 6 speed. It has 2 different overdrives. If you get fed up with the shifting look into an add on controller called shift sense pro. Other wise push the act button on the dash.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Toyota still offers a manual transmission. I only got the 6-speed auto because I have to drive in city traffic everyday. The 6-speed auto SUCKS. Constantly trying to find the right gear. 5-speed auto would have been better....but manual would be the best.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And a manual transmission was the only what the Bronco was ever sold for the first part of its life. How a real utility vehicle should be.

And bringing this into being Bronco related.

OP
OP
1971lubr

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Ok
Toyota still offers a manual transmission. I only got the 6-speed auto because I have to drive in city traffic everyday. The 6-speed auto SUCKS. Constantly trying to find the right gear. 5-speed auto would have been better....but manual would be the best.

You can only get a 5' bed in 6MT. 6' beds are AT only. Stupid.