• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Condition description?

lil bronco

Just been looking around on here, CL and ebay and was wondering what everyone's opinion on the description of broncos is here lately? (When being offered for sale)

Would really solid and super sold mean pretty much rust free to you? Or would you expect to replace several body panels?

Just would like to know because I'm confused.

71Broncitis

It does not matter what we think, because everybody's description is somewhat different. You really need to ask the seller what their definition of that means and ask specific questions about specific areas of concern.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lil bronco

lil bronco

It does not matter what we think, because everybody's description is somewhat different. You really need to ask the seller what their definition of that means and ask specific questions about specific areas of concern.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just wondering what everyone's opinion was . I know where to look and what to ask.

rmk57

Most everyone's idea of solid or rust free is going to be different. Rust free could mean cutting out the old rust and pop riveting sheet metal from an old refrigerator in place. Acceptable to some and not to others.

I would never buy anything site unseen and if there is a travel distance involved I would like to have at least 30 or more pics of top, bottom, inside, everything and then make a decision to look at or not.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Different people have different opinions on conditions.

All you can do is get pics, get members here to go look for you (WAVES TO LONESOUTH THANKS AGAIN MAN), and don't send final payments until you touch it yourself.

I mean, some people say 'rust free' I expect there to be NONE. No surface. No bubbles. NOTHING. ANYWHERE.
'Solid' means bubbles, surface, but no pin holes or flaking.
'Some light rust' means pin holes that may or may not require panel replacement.
'Rust in [area]' means that panel or area is gonna need to be replaced.
'Comes with extra parts truck' means the doors are about to fall off.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What I have found is that different sites have different levels of ability to trust them.

Here?
Most people are pretty honest. If they are not they get a bad reputation and banned quickly (then the members here spot them other places and call them out).

Craigslist?
Mostly close to an honest description, since it is a local seller listing and buyers can drive there. If it isn't as described it is usually due to an ignorant seller.

eBay?
I trust the least, there are sellers from everywhere and it can be hard to get an honest and knowledgeable inspection done.If the seller is dishonest it can be hard or impossible to get your money back.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Patina means rust to some, I think it means gold lol. Sykanr0ng above pretty much nailed it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Really solid means minimal rust.. Patina, um yeah a little rust :D

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
No such thing as rust free. Pull apart any spot welded panel and you will see it. May not be cancer or rust through buts its there and built in by the factory. All you can hope for is to look at it with a fine tooth comb and see if its acceptable to you. If you don't find rust your not looking hard enough. There are so many ways to hide rust and even if somebody went to a fiberglass body why did they do that because of rust. That means the chassis they used also contained rust.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I would think solid used in any form or fashion would mean structurally sound with minimal rust.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Mine was advertised as 'original steel, rust free Texas truck.' It was. Take into consideration where it has lived. A "rust free" Texas EB might differ from one from Michigan. Mine had no rust anywhere after having a complete paint job done. I did have a small amount of surface rust on the bottom of the passenger floor. It was more of a dusting of rust than anything. It came off with a small bit of light sandpaper and I primed and painted it. I separated the rear cap, cleaned and welded that, getting rid of the seam. That was the most extensive of my body work. The rest was just small dings that massaged out easily.