• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duffy's 77 Build Thread- Restomod, daily, re-uncut

Neurosidafex

Thanks for the quick reply. Awesome Bronco. Hoping to finish my 1973 LUBR in a month or two. Did you ever decide on floor-covering? I know you toyed with the Icon Dynamat/Chilewich mats and later you mentioned square weave bonded to mass loaded vinyl. I really want some sound-deadening and insulation (in addition to Lizardskin). Don’t like the 3 piece kits. They seem to wrinkle a bit. May put down some Ballistic/Dynamat and lay some carpet.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the quick reply. Awesome Bronco. Hoping to finish my 1973 LUBR in a month or two. Did you ever decide on floor-covering? I know you toyed with the Icon Dynamat/Chilewich mats and later you mentioned square weave bonded to mass loaded vinyl. I really want some sound-deadening and insulation (in addition to Lizardskin). Don’t like the 3 piece kits. They seem to wrinkle a bit. May put down some Ballistic/Dynamat and lay some carpet.

I never finished the carpet project, I will soon. I did carpet bonded to mass loaded vinyl in my 240z and it works awesome, I would most likely do that again.

67mustang390

Hello All, I have been working on getting my build thread started.

Here is how the 77 started. A 5' away paint job done over abuse and neglect and mostly just issues from sitting in Arizona for so many years, luckily its very very rust free.

A little on the purchase. I bought the bronco site unseen (I know, not bright and I know better) I have been looking for a 76-77 for around 2 years and everyone that pops up sells almost instantly. My main goal was to find one that wasn't terrible with rust that ran and drove that I could enjoy as I slowly worked on it. When I found one that fit, I shut my brain off and jumped right in! The guy (Javier, nobody should ever buy from him) knew tons about broncos and really put my mind to ease. Running and driving rig with no rust and a rebuilt motor and new paint for 9K. Sounded like exactly what I wanted! I wired the money, setup shipping to have it moved and that's when the issues started to come up. Couldn't find the title etc... Then finally no texts or phone call returns after about the 3rd day, which I came to learn was about the time the bank wouldn't help me get the money back.

Lucky for me I have an Iphone and 2 of the 30+ pictures and videos he sent me were taken from an iphone and the pictures had the locations services turned on (gps tagging of the picture with location and time). When I clicked on the picture info I learned that the bronco was 5 hours away in a different town and a different part of the state. So at this point I get the police involved and I know I am getting scammed. Since I have his exact address I sent the local police to his house, they confirmed it was in the garage and then waited for someone to come home, which was his wife. About 5 hours later I get a nasty phone call from Javier, which was yelling and such. He claimed to the police that he gave a fake address so I wouldn't know where he lives and that I couldn't steal his identity. Yep somehow that worked! The detective said he figured he had been scamming people for a while with the same bronco, but I had no proof of the scam, and the bill of sale sold me the bronco, so at this point I had to take possession of the rig. Here it is.

wow, so sorry you had a bad experience. Awesome sleuthing though!!

67mustang390

Here is a list of what I have done, I will keep it updated.

1977 Bronco - Arizona original, very little rust
All black powder coating is Cardinal Bk08- Semi Gloss black
Every single nut or bolt is new (expect internals of engine, tranny, transfercase and drivelines) stainless or grade 8 zinc
Full 1990 Mustang 5.0 HO Conversion 82K original miles , Explorer Front Dress/Powder Coated BK08 All new pulleys, fans belts all stainless hardware. A9P ECU MSD TFI
All stock seam sealer removed, all rust removed and areas were chemically treated with ospho.
Professionally Motor Rebuilt (honed, rings, bearings and new seals) and paint and powder coated- All bolts stainless, New water pump and fan blade,*
EGR delete and AC pump delete, Billet alternator bracket, 130 amp alternator (90 amp at idle)
Silicone racing hoses throughout engine, including vacuum and water lines
K&N Filter with aluminum cold air intake- Powder coated
Racing aluminum radiator and aluminum shroud by ron Davis
D20 Transfer case rebuilt professionally, stripped and painted
New Bumpers- Hanson rear and dufftuff front, with custom hidden winch bumper- powder coated- Custom recessed rigid front LEDs
Custom Tire carrier by Protofab- Powder coated with stainless hardware, custom license plate holder and Led Lighting recessed totrons
Marine Stereo- Wetsounds and clarion deck, 4-6.5" speakers and 4 channel class D amp, JL audio 8" subwoofer, Wetsounds wetwire used throughout.
DuffTuff interior aluminum door panels with custom upholstery
DuffTuff rear interior panels, aluminum with custom upholstery and speaker holes
New high pressure fuel pump and transfer fuel pump from aux to main tank.*
Stainless sending units for both gas tanks, both are poly and cleaned and painted. All stainless hardware and powdercoated
Gas tanks skid plates and straps powder coated
Ididit, Powder coated black steering wheel, 77 with hazards and column shift and turn signals, with custom cnc powder coated steering wheel
Custom wild horses lower steering shaft with dual universal joints
Dash- Deleted lights, speaker, ash tray, all stainless bolts and screws
Tuffy Glove box
Full family roll cage- Powder coated, seat belt attachments on cage - Toms with Custom Grab handles BK303
Toms Seats, Bases powder coated, new high end padding- custom high grade vinyl and custom grey, all seats are heated, both upper and lower
Center Console- Powder coated, USB plug stereo and usb power + heated seat dials. 20LB gas shock assist
New passenger rocker- original stamping.
Compustar Alarm and remote start
DuffTuff Hood gas shock kit- powder coated and stainlesss hardware
Front Disk brakes New- Wild horses
Optima Marine Battery- camburg stainless battery tray custom for optima
Painless 5.0 EFI wiring kit- split loomed
Painless wiring kit- original plugs re-installed for extra time and cost. Weave loomed and weatherpack connections for non stock componenets
Newport Engineering wiper motor - low profile, added dome light and interior light switches
Wiper arms powder coated from 1988 cherokee cut down 1-3/8 for 14" wipers 14-2
1977 Heavy Duty Rear End professionally rebuilt- 31 spline, trutrac 4.11 posi, narrowed 2", moved shock mounts, ruffstuff perches, stainless brake lines, media blasted and powder coated.
Front End, Professionally rebuilt, media blasted, powder coated New premium warn hubs New 4.11 gearing, stainless brake lines, Aluminum diff cover. Raybestos Professional Grade Suspension Ball Joint
NicksTrix custom steering, powder coated and professionally welded 1.35x.188 dom with gm 1 ton TRE by ruff stuff. Ruffstuff's the cure installed
Tom Woods 1310XB. 33" Rear and 27" Front. Polished and clear coated with dust boots. 2" Dom steel.
2.5" suspension lift, all new suspension parts and bushings, wild horses 3.5" front springs - Toms Leaf Springs - 2.5", ULTRA-FLEX, 11-pk, stripped and painted with flexible semi gloss epoxy
1" body lift, Poly bushing style, zinc grade 8 bolts
Ruff Stuff perches, rear axel moved back 1", also .5" lift rear.*15 degree pinion angle
Stainless brake lines throughout, stainless brake hoses to the brakes, with emergency brake
New heater core- aluminum, heater motor (bigger and faster) powder coated metal and stainless bolts and screws
Borgenson Power Steering Box. 14-1 with stainless hose fittings
New front fenders- Full stainless install bolts
New Battery supports
New core support
New Inner fenders front and wheel wells- Stainless bolts
New Rear fenders- Uncut- Professionally grafted 77 gas doors
Brake pedal and gas pedal powder coated and stainless hardware with new billet aluminum pads
Emergency brake, powder coated and new hardware stainless and billet pedal
Hard fuel lines, clear coated, all Russell -6 connections and stainless braided gas lines
New Hood
Stainless tailgate handle- powder coated frame
New tail gate- Stainless bolts and screws, professionally deleted stock license plate holder and holes
New door rubber throughout and all new wing window parts. All stainless screws and hardware
New driver, passenger and deck floor pans
New seat belts throughout- 3 point front and rear.
Lokar Shift linkage
New wiper fluid tank and pump by toms
Full stainless headers- coated, stainless 2-1 exhaust, BC Broncos, Stainless hardware, 100% purge tig welded
New Led lighting throughout- Rigid dome light and door actived interior lighting.
New lighting buckets and lenses throughout, with stainless bolts and screws
Rosen sun visors, single point attachment. Bought through ICON.
New window and door gaskets throughout.*
Rebuilt door internals, sand blasted and por 15 top coated inside of door. Billet cranks and arm rests, All internals were chemical dipped and all rust removed, Stainless bolts and clear coated
Brushed stainless vent windows, fully rebuilt, new gaskets and pivots.
New Wild horses Brake booster- Wilwood master cylinder
Power door locks, tied into the remote
New Hood striker (powder coated- zinc plated toms latch)
New silent bumpers for the tail gate- Wildhores*
New Dash Pad- Toms with custom stainless knobs
JB- Dual T stick shifter, stainless with billet shift knobs
Nicks Trix Door billet door cups and steering column bezel
Dakota Digital Gauge cluster
Gas filler re zinced and clear coated.
USSHIFT controller
4r70w out of a awd mercury 1997. Stock with 88k miles on it. (upgraded to a digital main solenoid) Stock converter, Shift kit, new filter, painted aluminum grey
Advanced adapters with clocking ring installed to mate 4R70W to Dana 20
Professionally cut and welded transmission cross member to fit the Advanced adapter transfer case mount. Custom frame mount Powder coated and stainless bolts
Cable system for silent tailgate- Wild horses
Stainless door striking posts
Powder coated headlight parts- All stainless hardware
Powder coated tailgate strikers and all hardware
Door Latches- Zinc plated new from dynacorp
Stainless steel lenses kit- whole bronco
Billet Tail lights and marker lights- Powder coated Bk08
Billet door lock knob
Stainless windshield frame to roll cage connectors, 100% stainless
Powder coated 4r70w pan*
Stainless lift off hinges
Transfer case skid guard punched and dimpled and powdercoated
Stainless exhaust BC Broncos- custom stainless polished sanitary exhaust tip
Broncohut fiberglass headliner professionally covered in 100% nylon felt "Smoke" color
Stainless Magnaflow exhaust, lifetime warranty 2 into 1
Stainless coil locks front, front coil brackets powder coated, stainless bolts
Adjustable tracking bar 76-77 Toms Bronco Parts- media blasted and powder coated to match
Heater intake, powder coated metal, new stainless rivets, painted semi gloss black
Fox 2.0 Racing shocks, Front- 985-24-084 Rear - 980-24-645
Lokar Stainless -locking dipstick 5.0
Lokar Stainless- Billet transmission dipstick
Marine Grade Electrical Stainless Steel Cushion Clamps used on all wiring harness
Factor 55 Fairlead and thimble
Smittybuilt 9500 synthetic winch
Totron Rear facing Flood LED 1.5k Lumens Each T1218FM
Rigid Industries SR-Q2 Front Facing Flood light LED, 3k Lumens Each
19mm Billet switches for OD, Mode and Fog Lights
Brushed Billet Aluminum rear view mirror
Linex Premium Black Tub
Hellwig Street sway bar, front- 100% new powder coated black. All zinc nuts and bolts grade 8
Drop Pitman arm, powder coated
Drake Billet Dash Bezels, Duff Billet knobs and custom billet power port plug
Standard Motor Products DS838 Door Jamb Switchs-
5- 285/70-17 BFG KO 10 Ply
5- Yuma black Rocks 17x8
HPS Silcone heater hoses and HPS HTSER90-062-075-BLK adapter for 5.0 hose.
Media blasted powder coated frame BK08
Media blasted all steering and suspension parts coated BK08
Professionally Painted PPG lifetime warranty paint. PPG 916792 Bianco Elderado
Engine Paint - Auto Body Master Matte Black Part 8544
Custom 23 gallon 1977 14 gauge stainless gas tank, AN fittings, Powder Coated BK176
parts coated BK08

impressive list!

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well it’s time for a wheel change. Decide on the dog dish hub caps. I have 4 more coming. My goal is to make a set of 5 of them that are very nice. I’m pretty excited!

Attachments

• 8D7C6B3B-D780-438E-ABF0-74EBAC6AC246.jpg
    8D7C6B3B-D780-438E-ABF0-74EBAC6AC246.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 211

ammowaster

Just got done reading through the whole thread. Sorry some of you stuff didn't work out to your liking but thank you for such a good build thread. I need to get my 77 up and going.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Re tightened the header bolts and drove it around. First super warm day of the winter. I think the exhaust leak fixed itself!

It only attracted 3 dudes. Which is rare and I saw and another classic bronco!

Attachments

• 2A660B97-8D6F-47D7-9B49-8979B8977A10.jpg
    2A660B97-8D6F-47D7-9B49-8979B8977A10.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 2DD45E56-67C3-4A51-AEEB-E656925223A8.jpg
    2DD45E56-67C3-4A51-AEEB-E656925223A8.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 284

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Looking great!:cool: I was tempted by the weather too. But way to much salt dust still on the streets here in Lincoln. Looking forward to a hard spring rain.;D