• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BONES approved

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Just wanted to introduce the 1970 that I picked up last week. Has a few rust spots but not bad at all. It was running a little rough, the idle was dropping significantly from park to drive so the idle needed to be set way too high just to prevent stalling out in gear. I played around with the mixture screws for a while but didn't seem to be helping so now I'm just rebuilding the edelbrock 1405 to see if that helps.

Don't know much about whats under the hood yet, doesn't appear to have many upgrades there though. Only other plans for it at the moment are power steering and brakes. I want to just drive it for a while before I get carried away with too much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 420
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 411
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 369
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 347
  • photo1 1.jpg
    photo1 1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 504
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 354

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
Sweet! Looks nice! Are those old M/T valve covers? If so, they're worth a pretty penny (as far as valve covers go) if in good shape!

One of the sweetest sounds in the world is the back-up alarm on a rollback as its backing down your driveway delivering a new toy!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That's a damn sweet ride. Drive.that, enjoy and don't look back. :)

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Good deal and glad someone local scooped it up.....before i could! ;) Drop me a line if you need help or any parts. Good luck with it!

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Thanks everyone, I'm pretty excited to get working on it. I know I missed another local event but after I get this one going I'd love to try and meet up with some of you guys.

One night this week I'll be finishing the carb rebuild, if that doesn't solve the issue of stalling out once put in gear I may need some additional help diagnosing whats going on.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a nice ride. Ditto here if you need help as well.
Regards

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
vaccum leak maybe? i'll be around saturday afternoon if you need a hand

blamejane

Bronco Guru
There you go...now that's what I'm talking' about. Love the two tone paint! Congrats on your new baby!

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
I got the rebuilt carb back on and am still having the same issues. Starts up fine but I need to jack the idle up to get it to stay running. As soon as I put it in gear, reverse or drive, it stalls out. I could have easily screwed something up with the carb so I'm not ruling that out but I'm moving past that for now.

Can't find any vacuum leaks so far and the vacuum gauge reads steady around 22. Next thing on the list is to square away the timing, not sure if that would cause this or not but I'm pretty sure its off regardless, need to pick up a timing light tomorrow. Will be replacing plugs, wires and points this weekend.

A few things I noticed while playing around with it; putting the air cleaner on makes it worse like its going to stall out and capping off the vacuum advance seemed to help a little. And its a c4 with an art carr floor shifter, not sure if theres anything I should check there.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First check the simple things. When warm is the choke fully open? Have you confirmed your fuel bowl level is set properly?
I would try to reset the idle mixture srews but first, after looking at your carb picture, I would move the vacuum line from your distributor vacuum advance to the port on the "right" side port on the front of the carb not the left hand port. Right side port is for non-emmision vacuum advance. May not make much initial difference but is the correct port to connect to.

Buy yourself a vacuum gauge (you can get one at Harbor freight cheap). Connect it to a carb or manifold port that offers full manifold vacuum. Set initial idle speed to about 850 rpm. Start with both mixture screws turned in all the way then back out about a turn and a half (or as long as their even
). Alternately adjust each mix screw to achieve the highest vacuum reading. Readjust your idle speed to ~850 again if needed and alternate back to the mix screws.

If your not comfortable with It, maybe a couple of us can get together to help diagnose it.
There can be other issues at play causing the problem. I have seen similar things happen with faulty ignition coils as well.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
listen to Dave....he's wicked smhaaaat!

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Dave, good info thanks. The choke is manual and fully open. Have tried the line on both sides of the carb however wasn't sure ultimately which side to keep it on.

I have a vacuum gauge, when hooked up to the full vacuum port on the carb the needle is steady around 22. I have been tinkering with the mixture screws, turned them all the way in then backed them out about 2 1/2 turns each. I'll try again with the vacuum gauge hooked up.

I have a flamethrower coil on the way and the pertronix 2 ignitor to replace the points that look pitted. Should be here tomorrow and I'll give an update after.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dave, good info thanks. The choke is manual and fully open. Have tried the line on both sides of the carb however wasn't sure ultimately which side to keep it on.

I have a vacuum gauge, when hooked up to the full vacuum port on the carb the needle is steady around 22. I have been tinkering with the mixture screws, turned them all the way in then backed them out about 2 1/2 turns each. I'll try again with the vacuum gauge hooked up.

I have a flamethrower coil on the way and the pertronix 2 ignitor to replace the points that look pitted. Should be here tomorrow and I'll give an update after.

Sounds good and good choice on the Pertronix II. It has short circuit protection unlike the the standard unit.

22 is ok but your looking for max reading you can achieve. You can also do it by max rpm as well. See how things work out after the coil and Pertronix swap goes. If still an issue, fuel level, accelerator pump and fuel pump and delivery should be checked.
Let us know how you make out.

And don't listen to tasker I'm not smart, just wicked;D