• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My little mule Pe'pe

OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

more tear down

More tear down, Really rusty. Pulled all the coolers and radiator out. Cage will need to be blasted.

Attachments

• DSCF2110.jpg
    DSCF2110.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF2111.jpg
    DSCF2111.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

From concept to prototype, back to concept. Now for the final production.

So I have removed all the parts for the prototype, now its a concept again.
Some small changes, WH rear shock hoop instead of shocks threw the floor.
A BC gas tank instead of my own fuel cell. Stock dash and heater box.
Stay tuned as I go back to the build process.
:cool:

Attachments

• DSCF2247.jpg
    DSCF2247.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF2248.jpg
    DSCF2248.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF2263.jpg
    DSCF2263.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF2265.jpg
    DSCF2265.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF2266.jpg
    DSCF2266.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

progress

Not done much but got some progress. Cage is screwed down to mark mounting position. Drilled holes and made cage tie ins with bushings to isolate vibration. I also moved the glove box door over and patched the dash holes. Welded in the axle truss and will put the shock mounts on next.
Hope to paint the engine bay soon and will be making the rock sliders. I also need to rework the engine cage and shock mounts. More to come.;D

Attachments

• axle truss.jpg
    axle truss.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 100
  • cage mount.jpg
    cage mount.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

more progress

Some progress again, finished all the cage tie ins. The cage now sandwiches the body and then ties into the frame with rubber isolation bushing I got from summit. Very much like a track bar or leaf spring bushing. All 8 points of the cage are tied into bushings that
then go down to the frame. The engine cage mounts directly to the frame so it can be used for shock mounts. Total of 10 points of cage tie ins.
The spare tire assembly is also installed, it swings out from the inside to allow me access to the inside but not have to have the
tire on the outside of the body. All my supplies fit nicely on the inside and I have an old gas can I plan to turn into a tool box.
Next step is to rebuild the front axle Powerloc clutch kit and reseal the rear end. Soon to be onto the body work and bed liner. Of
course first I have to pull the cage back out and paint it.

Attachments

• DSCF2615.jpg
    DSCF2615.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF2616.jpg
    DSCF2616.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF2617.jpg
    DSCF2617.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF2618.jpg
    DSCF2618.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF2619.jpg
    DSCF2619.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

back at it again

It has been several months but I'm back on this project again.
Fabricated new nerf bars with rock skis. These are all built out of roll cage tubing.
Welded in the shock mounts, cut the rest of the radiator support and fit in the dual trans coolers on the pass side and the oil and ps coolers on the drivers side. The fans go in front since there pushers. The fans are from a Nissan titan, I have several.
Next up is to drill and mount the gas tank, drill the front wheel well's for the shocks to pass threw. Then the cage's can come out to be painted. While that's being done I will finish all the body work and put in the bed liner. More to come...

Attachments

• new frame n cage 19.jpg
    new frame n cage 19.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 124
  • new frame n cage 20.jpg
    new frame n cage 20.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 120
  • new body 40.jpg
    new body 40.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

Installed the gas tank, welded up the last of the holes from the spare tire rack, fixed all the rust holes in the windshield frame, stripped the inner fenders and finished the mods to the radiator support. Pulled the engine cage back out to strip and paint it. Put new axle bearings/seals on the rear shafts. Put rust treatment on the inner fenders, windshield frame, rear quarter patches. More to come....

OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

Well I have made some more progress, not all of it good. I am going to use the soft upper doors that were on the roadster so I stripped my old doors, cut the rest of the frame off and welded a plate over the OE slot. The next step would be to drill and weld the tube in to accept the upper frames. I decided to mount the door to be sure the frame is exactly where I want it. This is when I found out the true shape of the tub. The door was off on the bottom more than can be achieved by normal adjustment. I installed the other door to be sure of my suspicions. Then I mounted the fenders and hood and grill. I went back to the photos of the tub when I first got the truck. The roadster's tub (ok the whole truck) had been dragged on the drivers side and the front clip was hit hard on the passenger side. So much so the fenders and grill were junk and I had to beat the quarters into some shape to skim coat them. The tub is twisted on both rear quarters and the front end is shifted to the drivers side. So to get the doors in line I'm going to put some relief cuts in the C pillars and pull till I get the numbers I'm looking for. Then I will pull the front end over to set the front end. I was hoping to be farther along with the body work but I'm glad I caught this before I wasted too much time on other aspects of the body prep. The good news is with some sand blasting the doors can be patched up, I found one spot in the tailgate that will need a patch. The grill is in better shape than I thought and with some hammer and dolly work it came into shape quick. Just need to skim coat and start sanding.
The other step I'm getting ready for is to put the rear fender flares on. I'm going to do things different (what a surprise huh!), I have been looking at the 3M panel adhesive. It is often used to put quarter panels and non structural body parts on cars for years. I'm going to try putting the flares on with that, not rivets. I will use a few machine bolts to hold the flares in place and secure till the epoxy cures. Then fill those holes in. Stay tuned....

Attachments

• new body 46.jpg
    new body 46.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 100
  • new body 47.jpg
    new body 47.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 90
  • new body 48.jpg
    new body 48.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 80
  • new body 49.jpg
    new body 49.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 81
  • new body 50.jpg
    new body 50.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

Ok after loosing some time to a trip up north for easter, then coming back with bronchitis and a few other distractions I am finally back on the body work.
The soft top door mods are done, tailgate was patched and is mostly done. The hood is getting a new scoop, which meant welding up the old scoops mounting holes.
The last big part was mounting the fender flares. In the photos you see some screws and clamps holding them on. Those can all come off now! I used panel epoxie to put them on. It worked great and now I just need to fill in the screw holes and rivet dimples.
Now I'm going to be doing a lot of sanding to get it ready for primer and paint (which I already have).

Attachments

• new body 59.jpg
    new body 59.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 57
  • new body 58.jpg
    new body 58.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 63
  • new body 57.jpg
    new body 57.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 62
  • new body 56.jpg
    new body 56.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 64
  • new body 55.jpg
    new body 55.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

stage one

After countless hours sanding, spot puttying and sand and fill primer. I shot the coat of sealer. I used a blue sealer to work with the paint. I need to go back and touch up the hood and tailgate but then I will try and shoot the base and clear coat next weekend.

Attachments

• new body 64.jpg
    new body 64.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 77
  • new body 63.jpg
    new body 63.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 68
  • new body 62.jpg
    new body 62.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 68
  • new body 61.jpg
    new body 61.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 86
  • new body 60.jpg
    new body 60.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

After one failed attempt its finally painted. 3 coats of intense blue pearl and 3 coats of clear. Next is bed liner.

Attachments

• new body 66.jpg
    new body 66.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 132
  • new body 67.jpg
    new body 67.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 138
  • new body 68.jpg
    new body 68.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 180
  • new body 65.jpg
    new body 65.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 131
  • new body 69.jpg
    new body 69.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

more progress

Now that paint is done it was on to bed liner and paint the cage. The dash is also painted and most holes are cut in for the gauges. Should have the cage in by the end of the week.

Attachments

• new body 73.jpg
    new body 73.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 87
  • new body 75.jpg
    new body 75.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 83
  • new body 74.jpg
    new body 74.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 101
  • new body 72.jpg
    new body 72.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 92
  • new body 71.jpg
    new body 71.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

Got lots done in the last week, welded the nerf bars to the frame. Got most of the cage all painted in. Will be done by the end of the week.
Resealed the engine, put a new dampener on too. Other than a few seals the rest of the powertrain should be in by the end of next weekend. Then its on to the wiring.

Attachments

• new n rebuilt powertrain 12.jpg
    new n rebuilt powertrain 12.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 92
  • new n rebuilt powertrain 9.jpg
    new n rebuilt powertrain 9.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 106
  • new n rebuilt powertrain 6.jpg
    new n rebuilt powertrain 6.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 102
  • new frame n cage 26.jpg
    new frame n cage 26.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 98
  • new frame n cage 25.jpg
    new frame n cage 25.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 83
  • new frame n cage 23.jpg
    new frame n cage 23.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 97

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Looking good Matt!! Keep up the hard work. Where you are at can be very tedious at times.

OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

made some headway

Made a bit progress. built brackets that mounted oil and ps coolers together. Made mounts for those coolers with a fan mounted. Ran oil hoses, mounted temp sending unit and remote oil filter. Did the same for the two tranny coolers and fan. Plus an external filter for the trany and another temp sensor. Mounted a washer pump, I still plan to try and clean it better or may try some paint. The radiator mounts are next along with the ps pump and hoses and alternator.
Most of the gauges are in but as you can see by the piles of parts to sort threw I still have much to put together.

Attachments

• assembly 1.jpg
    assembly 1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 80
  • assembly 2.jpg
    assembly 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 77
  • new n rebuilt powertrain 16.jpg
    new n rebuilt powertrain 16.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

down to the smalls

On to the small stuff. Fuel lines are run, headers are on, all coolers and fans are mounted. Once the brake lines and gauges are in its onto the wiring harness.

Attachments

• assembly 4.jpg
    assembly 4.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 64
  • assembly 5.jpg
    assembly 5.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 68
  • assembly 6.jpg
    assembly 6.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

So nearly one year from being done and I am happy with how everything works. Hit lots of deep sand and a few surprise mud holes. Had to use 4wd twice to get out. Now it needs a bath;D

Attachments

• GOPR0071.jpg
    GOPR0071.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 127