Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 01/17/19, 10:31 AM   #1
mattyq17
Contributor
Bronco Guru

66 bronco

Arroyo Grande, Ca
Sheet metal welder input needed

So I have some OT coming up at work next month and am thinking about getting a welder for some body repairs I have. I have read countless threads on here about sheet metal size welders and think I have narrowed it down to these three
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ig-wire-welder
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...14-1/100670934
https://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-...5a-output.html
It seems most on here really like the Hobart. Any thoughts on the Lincoln? My BNL and FNL both have bigger welders I can use for heavier stuff and I would like to have a welder set up with .023 wire that I can use at the house when the barn doesnít have room or they are using their welders for other stuff. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

Last edited by mattyq17; 01/17/19 at 01:06 PM..

66, 289, C4, D44, upgrading as funds allow.
RIP Kason William Quaresma 07.06.10-08.18.10 you are loved and missed everyday
Emma Jean Quaresma 10.18.10-3.17.11 I love you baby girl
mattyq17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 10:47 AM   #2
ransil
Bronco Guru

Pittsburgh Pa.
Garage
pick the one that has variable feed and heat controls, not set positions.

I have an older Lincoln setup gas and .023 wire and 2 other welder setup 1with flux core and the other .035 and gas.

buy the biggest bottle you can i think its a 125 , I have a 30 or 40 it sucks to run out and it does often.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 10:48 AM   #3
chuck1022
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyq17 View Post
So I have some OT coming up at work next month and am thinking about getting a welder for some body repairs I have. I have read countless threads on here about sheet metal size welders and think I have narrowed it down to these two.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ig-wire-welder
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...14-1/100670934

It seems most on here really like the Hobart. Any thoughts on the Lincoln? My BNL and FNL both have bigger welders I can use for heavier stuff and I would like to have a welder set up with .023 wire that I can use at the house when the barn doesnít have room or they are using their welders for other stuff. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks
I'm looking for a welder too, I have decided on the Lincoln Electric MP210. It does 110 V and 210 V. It's $1,450, what Lincoln Electric does a $499 rebate once or twice a year. I'm waiting for that rebate then I'm buying that one
chuck1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 10:57 AM   #4
langester
Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS

There are Very Few problems well placed ordinance won't solve!

Cortez, CO
I would say that Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are at the top of the list, for me anyways, I own one or more machines from each of those companies.
I know that there are some knockoff brands out there that are getting pretty good reviews as well, might check out Eastwood as well. You might look on Craigslist and even Ebay as well. I have bought used equipment from my local welding shop as well. Sometimes you can get a pretty sweet deal on good used equipment. .023 is what I used on all my sheet metal and seemed to work very well. I definitely recommend sticking with shielding gas and staying away from flux cored wire. I know it works for some folks but the solid wire comes out a lot cleaner in my opinion. I would also add that whatever you decide on make sure you can buy consumables for it easily.
Good luck with your purchase!

1972 Bronco "Spawn Build" still in progress.
langester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 11:02 AM   #5
RODRIG3911
Contributor

Tucson, AZ

My Gallery
I've got the Lincoln 140T MIG and love it... I've replaced rear quarters, wind shield mount with both cowls, apron, wheel wells, patches and plugged many holes with no issues. For $500 bucks it's a great choice for sheet metal work (A bottle of argon/CO2 mix makes it easier)
RODRIG3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 11:33 AM   #6
Bonefizz
Contributor

Santa Clarita, CA
I have the Lincoln 140 as well and it does a great job.
Bonefizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 11:34 AM   #7
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Of the 2 choices given, the Hobart. It has 5 taps instead of just 4 on the Lincoln. --revised-- Since you added the Eastwood, I would pick that one.

There is a big difference in machines between the Tapped and Variable voltage output. The tapped has notches on the voltage output. Distinct settings. The variable setting lets you dial it in. B is too little but C is too much? You can vary the output (even while welding) to dial it in just right. The tapped machines, you have to stop welding, move a notch, start welding again. The 4 or 5 settings is a step above the basic machines that just have a hi/low switch.

Last edited by Broncobowsher; 01/17/19 at 06:21 PM..

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
Why do people keep expecting "normal" from me?
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 01:02 PM   #8
mattyq17
Contributor
Bronco Guru

66 bronco

Arroyo Grande, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by langester View Post
I would say that Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are at the top of the list, for me anyways, I own one or more machines from each of those companies.
I know that there are some knockoff brands out there that are getting pretty good reviews as well, might check out Eastwood as well. You might look on Craigslist and even Ebay as well. I have bought used equipment from my local welding shop as well. Sometimes you can get a pretty sweet deal on good used equipment. .023 is what I used on all my sheet metal and seemed to work very well. I definitely recommend sticking with shielding gas and staying away from flux cored wire. I know it works for some folks but the solid wire comes out a lot cleaner in my opinion. I would also add that whatever you decide on make sure you can buy consumables for it easily.
Good luck with your purchase!
I will definitely be using shielding gas. I have been looking on Craigslist but havenít found much locally. I will be going by the welding supply store next week and see if they have any used welders as well. I have looked at the Eastwood welder but wonder how hard it will be to get parts? I know the local weld supply store sells the other three welders you mentioned so it seems it would be as easy as going there to get consumables vs. ordering them off the Eastwood website.

Old 01/17/19, 01:05 PM   #9
mattyq17
Contributor
Bronco Guru

66 bronco

Arroyo Grande, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobowsher View Post
Of the 2 choices given, the Hobart. It has 5 taps instead of just 4 on the Lincoln.

There is a big difference in machines between the Tapped and Variable voltage output. The tapped has notches on the voltage output. Distinct settings. The variable setting lets you dial it in. B is too little but C is too much? You can vary the output (even while welding) to dial it in just right. The tapped machines, you have to stop welding, move a notch, start welding again. The 4 or 5 settings is a step above the basic machines that just have a hi/low switch.
That is a good point. The one Eastwood sells has variable settings so that is a plus. https://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-...5a-output.html

Old 01/17/19, 02:30 PM   #10
Jamie Chriss
Contributor

San Clemente

My Gallery
I have the Hobart 210 that runs on both 110 and 220. For the most part for light duty work the Hobart 140 is a great choice, it has the same features as the 210 and is well built, but if you are planning anything bigger the 210 has upside! I
helped out a fellow EB owner this past weekend weld on a steering box plate and a stabilizer bracket, he didn't have 220 service, I struggled to get the metal hot enough using 110. But for basic light duty welding and sheet metal work I could have done my entire body using 110 service, I did my entire tub using my Hobart. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	469324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	469325  
Jamie Chriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 05:59 PM   #11
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
If you're stuck with a 110V welder and need to do heavier work, you can always convert over to fluxcore wire and/or preheat the material with a torch to get better penetration. Not my preferred method, but it gets the job done with the tools you have.

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Apogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 06:22 PM   #12
Orig93gt
Contributor

Iíve run miles of .030 through my Hobart 140 with trimix. It does everything I ask of it without trouble.
Orig93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/19, 07:18 PM   #13
Skytrooper15
Contributor

1970 Stock Bronco

Tuscaloosa,Al
Garage
I've have a Lincoln 135 and the switch went bad and Lincoln wanted close to 200 dollars for a complete welder head with built in switch so I bought a Lincoln 140 and same problem.I opened up the handle and the switch is just two small pieces of copper capped with silver and once you pull the pins holding the switch in thats it for that handle and hose.But I did do some heavy work restoring 2 Broncos and also built a sawmill from scratch so I gave them a pretty good workout.To fix the cheap switch I put a momentary contact electrical switch in the 140 and it works just great again.As much welding I did back then I really can't complain about either Lincoln welder and by all means go with the argon mix it helps you to make nice smooth welds and using just the flux core made a decent weld but it sure does splatter all around the weld.
Skytrooper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM   #14
bronkenn
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I believe you, thousands wouldn't

Southeast Ohio
Which ever one you choose check the duty cycle. That will tell you how well they are made. I have been using the Millermatic welder for 23 years and welded a lot of different projects from sheet metal to 1/2 inch and it works very well. Ken
bronkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM   #15
Howard2x4x4
Contributor

Holland, MI
Garage
I bought the Eastwood 135 on the basis of value and a friends recommendation and would do it again. Also, a large shielding gas cylinder is a great suggestion.
Howard2x4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat