• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Changing from a Crawler to Speed Runner - Coyote Install

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
This is all real good info. Glad I am doing more research than buying right now. Confusing but good. Any info also on the hub kits from Solid Axle Industries?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
This is all real good info. Glad I am doing more research than buying right now. Confusing but good. Any info also on the hub kits from Solid Axle Industries?

lol, always best to do some looking, reading first..

Subscribed to this thread

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If you move to 8 lug wheels things get decidedly easier. I don't think it's necessary for strength, but it does make parts simpler to sort out.

14BFF stubs allow for a larger OD axle shaft than do D60 stubs. May or may not matter.

A middle ground approach I've seen used on some rock buggies is to use the unit bearing and front hub from something like a late CTD with a double-splined axle shaft. Unit bearing bolts to a flange welded to the housing. Axle shaft has a shoulder on it and it fits together with a big nut like the later D60 and AAM front axles.
Not sure how good this approach would be for the rear of an EB, but might worth looking into.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Here's an FYI for companies that have what sounds like a great product but you've never heard of them before ...

They might not be here in five or 10 years to give you the one part you need to replace...somebody mentioned this earlier but go with a well-known manufacturer

I didn't buy RCV when they first came out with their fantastic CV joint because I've been burned before by great products but the companies didn't stand behind or had gone out of business so now you're paying double!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
A middle ground approach I've seen used on some rock buggies is to use the unit bearing and front hub from something like a late CTD with a double-splined axle shaft. Unit bearing bolts to a flange welded to the housing. Axle shaft has a shoulder on it and it fits together with a big nut like the later D60 and AAM front axles.
Not sure how good this approach would be for the rear of an EB, but might worth looking into.

Currie is one of the companies that has done this a lot. They use SD unit bearing hubs (or modified versions) with their kits, I believe.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Well I've got my Camburg 3.5 housing ordered. Now need to figure out what hubs and snouts to use. Would like to use there 2.25 ends but a bit expensive. Not sure yet.

nvrstuk

Contributor
You looking at the $1500+ option? : )

nvrstuk

Contributor
I used slide in/weld in spindles that you can either use stock 14 bolt hubs or purchase new alum lightweight aftermarket race ones. The stock hubs use large stock replaceable Timken bearings and are heavy duty.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Did not read all the 4 pages but skimmed over them, I went down this road multiple times since 2003 to get where I am now. One thing I can tell you, regardless if you link the rear or run leaf springs, is that bypass shocks are a absolute must. And the larger you get the better they are by A LOT. I now have 3.0 5 tube bypass front and rear and their ability to let the axle move fast when needed and also keep from bottoming is not even comparible to a 2.5. but they cost more than twice as much.
I also highly recommend full width for both stability but also additional room for a much longer track bar to minimize side to side movement.
The rear drive shaft is long enough for more travel than stock eb leaf springs will ever cycle. I ran Ford ranger race pack from deaver. I think they are 10 in longer or something around there. They cycle clean 16 in before leafs start separating and the shackle flops down. I was able to place the mounts in a way that throughout the travel the pinion angle changes only 1 degree and slip yoke plunge is less than 1/4 in. It's a lot of work to end up still on leaf springs but it works.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I'm using an entire set up from schreiner. Smaller steel hubs with 31 spline axles, but there 3.5 in fabed housing with the big truss across the back. At the time money was an issue. I wish I had 35 spline and larger alloy hubs.

nvrstuk

Contributor
68Ford-watched the short video and that suspension is working great... sure is sucking up the whoops... nice design!

nvrstuk

Contributor
How much do the Schreiner hubs weigh?

I would have liked to have gone with the aftermarket alum alloy to save some serious weight on each corner but I don't have any sponsors!! lol

68ford

Bronco Guru
How much do the Schreiner hubs weigh?

I would have liked to have gone with the aftermarket alum alloy to save some serious weight on each corner but I don't have any sponsors!! lol

The steel hubs probably weigh the same as his alloy hubs or a smaller camburg or bms hub because the alloy hubs are so much bigger. I like his steel hubs because even though the bearings aren't huge, the spread is at least double a grand national steel hubs. My eb is 5300 pounds and 800 pound heavier in the rear. I have had zero issues with the rear axle. I beat on it pretty hard and it has 15k miles on it. It has leaked very very slowly from a weld since new that's my only complaint.

68ford

Bronco Guru
68Ford-watched the short video and that suspension is working great... sure is sucking up the whoops... nice design!

Thank you, it's basic but works better than it should is what most people say. Nothing fancy just radius arm/panhard bar. No need for sway bar. The tricky part is getting good amount of uptravel from ride height and keep it low to the ground and shocks not pooping through the hood.

nvrstuk

Contributor
X2 on up travel and keeping COG as low as possible...

I haven't had a chance to run mine over a good test area like your couple videos do... I spent a long time (few different parameters) trying to come up with similar high speed characteristics...snow leaves, I can check it out...

Once again, good job dialing yours in...sure looks great while running at speed!!

68ford

Bronco Guru
Geoff from giant motorsports says he would make a complete kit to put deaver 64 in long leaf springs under an early bronco. Would require full width axle and be spring under. I'm guessing it would cycle every bit of 20in travel. Complete with with springs hardware, shackles and all other stuff would be 2000.