• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Color questions

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Couple color questions:
1: Fun color question: Is Poppy Red and Calypso Coral the same color(chemical make up)? If so, do you think they are red or orange?
2: Real color question: what color are the fuel necks supposed to be where they poke thru the exterior of the body?

Thanks for your input,
Tyler

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Filler neck is upainted galvanized metal. I have a 73, one with a fuel door may be different.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I call it orange I love the color either way I think there real close but not the same color just my opinion I don't know for sure. I think the filler neck were cad plated.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Back WHEN I had my parts store I sold DuPoint paint from 1967 until 1995.
.. If I remember correctly The Red your talking about is 4294AH. WE As in all the guys that worked for me & mixed paint. We called it more Orange than Red but Dupoint listed it as Red.
... But we all felt it yielded itself to Orange. ..
... So We ask the customer if they liked orange. If you hate Orange then you need a darker Red . But if your Ok with Orange then you may like this color.
.. But in the sun at times it'll look very Orange.
.... The other red Du Point called Candy Apple Red was 4737AM . NOW IT WAS A DARKER RED... But the only thing that was Candy Apple about it was it's name .. It's just paint. Not a CANDY.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Thanks guys.

I have had two Calypso Coral vehicles. Still have one of them, and they always look orange to me, but every once in a while people will call it red. I will admit when photographed it definitely looks more red than in person.

bteutsch

When I was repainting my Bronco, Calypso Coral, my painter used PPG paint, in their book it's listed as paint code 60449. Under that code (not sure if they consolidated codes) but anyway Calypso Coral, Poppy Red, and Competition Orange were all listed as 60449. It's definitely an orange color, it sometimes looks more red in different light.
000b87f77c1c72c9dbe5e81447fce59c.jpg
9696ca5bb50401f25370e79665b0895d.jpg
0a06ed14d766bd36e6ac13d663e1d3f8.jpg
20170510/2e8963317936eca76b2c436dc4560607.jpg[/IMG]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 44

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Poppy Red and Calypso Coral are a reddish orange. It's a red with almost no blue tones to it.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
When I was repainting my Bronco, Calypso Coral, my painter used PPG paint, in their book it's listed as paint code 60449. Under that code (not sure if they consolidated codes) but anyway Calypso Coral, Poppy Red, and Competition Orange were all listed as 60449. It's definitely an orange color, it sometimes looks more red in different light.

I wondered if Competition Orange was the same color too. Good info!

71Broncitis

Yes, the standard Ford name for the color is vermilion.

Promotional names include Poppy Red, Calypso Coral, Competition Orange, all having the FoMoCo 1730 basic part number (color formula).

Different years and models used different names and color codes on the VIN plate.

For the Bronco: 1966-67 were called Poppy Red, color code S, 1971-72 were called Calypso Coral, color code 1.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
Thanks guys.

I have had two Calypso Coral vehicles. Still have one of them, and they always look orange to me, but every once in a while people will call it red. I will admit when photographed it definitely looks more red than in person.

Tyler, your Bronco is orange! No red to it in my opinion. That is unless you're talking about one of these other two new ones you've added to your signature...

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Here are two poppy red surrounding a caddy apple red. Pretty orange looking comparing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cb607964d946f9b47a041bc5d55c6c9f.png

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Jon,
When people see my Bronco on this site they usually view it as red, but in person, just like you and I, it is predominantly viewed as orange. A friend of mine's wife though says it red. She also thought my Calypso Coral 69 SCJ was red. I attached an image for reference.

Blue,
When you post Candy Apple next to Poppy it becomes very obvious....even in pictures! Cool shot!

Edit: Oh, I got started on this color quest because of the 66 Poppy Red listed on here. I was like, hmmmmm, that looks like Calypso Coral!

Attachments

• IMAG1734-small.jpg
    IMAG1734-small.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 56