• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Base coat or clear cost cracking?

broncofiresmith

My Bronco has been painted about 23 years ago. This spring when I got my Bronco out of my garage where it is stored each winter I notice cracks all over the rear quarter. You can't feel them. They were everywhere on the quarter and very noticeable. I was able to rub them out but if you look in the sunlight right you can still see them. But they seem to come back. Has anyone seen this? Any experience with fixing this without a complete repainted? I think it may be the clear coat because a coat of wax helps cover them up.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 151

01JLH

Is this a fiberglass body or does that area have body filler? A magnet might tell you if there is a substantial amount of filler there.

OP
OP
broncofiresmith

broncofiresmith

Is this a fiberglass body or does that area have body filler? A magnet might tell you if there is a substantial amount of filler there.

I redid the body myself so I know there is no filler in that area. It is a metal body. It actually has those crack type lines all over the rear quarter from the seam area down.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
You said you did the body yourself, so did you spray the clear coat too? The reason I ask is because it looks like the clear is cracking, using too many coats of clear can do that if your not careful. I painted my rig myself and I think I've figured it out, 2-3 coats is plenty. Spraying clear coat is totally different than spraying color, I had to practice practice practice to get to know my clear, using the correct spray nozzle size, correct air pressure, things like that. :cool:

OP
OP
broncofiresmith

broncofiresmith

You said you did the body yourself, so did you spray the clear coat too? The reason I ask is because it looks like the clear is cracking, using too many coats of clear can do that if your not careful. I painted my rig myself and I think I've figured it out, 2-3 coats is plenty. Spraying clear coat is totally different than spraying color, I had to practice practice practice to get to know my clear, using the correct spray nozzle size, correct air pressure, things like that. :cool:

I cleared it myself two coats of clear I agree I think the clearcoat is cracking. It was painted 23 years ago wondering if I could get away with your sanding down and clearing that quarter again

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not gonna be able to respray that, respray is for healthy bases that have got dull in my experience. That is amazing it lasted 23 years. My paint on my Bronco is 9 yrs old an looks like hell.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Boy its a tough call, but if it was my rig I would wet sand a small area down low, and see if it comes out, of course you would have to be careful not to go through the paint. I would have no problem re-spraying the whole quarter cuz I love to paint, but then you have new fresh paint on one quarter panel and 23 yr old paint everywhere else. Like I said its a tuff call, but you can only try it then if it doesn't work, off to the body shop you go lol. Good Luck. :cool:

OP
OP
broncofiresmith

broncofiresmith

Boy its a tough call, but if it was my rig I would wet sand a small area down low, and see if it comes out, of course you would have to be careful not to go through the paint. I would have no problem re-spraying the whole quarter cuz I love to paint, but then you have new fresh paint on one quarter panel and 23 yr old paint everywhere else. Like I said its a tuff call, but you can only try it then if it doesn't work, off to the body shop you go lol. Good Luck. :cool:[/QUOTE

I have been thinking to try to set sand and see what happens. I'm not happy with it now so if I worse case I need to repaint it.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.