• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will a 78-79 F-150 tilt column really work in an EB?

freemanrebel

I have access to one and I wanted opinions on whether or not its worth the trouble or should I just stack the cash for an aftermarket column. Its shorter than the original column in my 68. Does anyone have any more information on them? Pics of them installed? Thanks

OP
OP
F

freemanrebel

I looked I think the link is broke. Does anyone have a current link? I think I answered my own question by browsing the threads. It will work. I just would like more information if that's possible thanks.

ENDLIFE

It works, but the shifter is a little close to the dash in park. The best thing in my opinion is getting a newer variation of steering wheel. You can also use the lower portion of the steering shaft to connect to a 4x4x2 steering box with a simple U joint and a small length of DD steering shaft.

712a27fa0843f50492d27cf319d700d2.jpg

6e06938ae9bcac619e393c0c165df6a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
E series van tilts from the same era will also work, you pretty much cut the mount of your old column an weld it to the "new" column and then build yourself a lower column with new parts.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
E series van tilts from the same era will also work, you pretty much cut the mount of your old column an weld it to the "new" column and then build yourself a lower column with new parts.

I did the above it took an afternoon. The wiring on the other hand was completely different. That took an afternoon itself. All works nice now and have for several years.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Column from 1978 F-250... This is the second one of those I've installed. In both cases I'm using a Borgeson steering shaft to connect the column to the steering gear.

Attachments

• tilt column.jpg
    tilt column.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 210
  • tilt wheel.jpg
    tilt wheel.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 188
  • tilt done.jpg
    tilt done.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 197

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
BMC could you give me a measurement from the ring of the gauge cluster to the outside ring of the steering wheel. I would like to compare how far the new column reaches from the dash to the passengers seat. Maybe it would get the steering wheel out of my face some since I drive with my seat all the way forward due to height challenges created by my short parents.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BMC could you give me a measurement from the ring of the gauge cluster to the outside ring of the steering wheel. I would like to compare how far the new column reaches from the dash to the passengers seat. Maybe it would get the steering wheel out of my face some since I drive with my seat all the way forward due to height challenges created by my short parents.

I *think* this is what you were asking to see....12" exactly. I tilted the wheel down to be straight, in middle position, for this photo. Let me know if you want a shot of if tilted all the way down in midget-driver position...;D:p

I'm going to change to a different wheel eventually and it will be at least 2" closer to the dash face than this one is.

Attachments

• IMG_1060[1].jpg
    IMG_1060[1].jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
F

freemanrebel

I am 6'5" and I sit with the seat all the way back. It might be a little too far forward for me. I am kicking around the idea of just going with an Ididit column instead. I have a floor shift c4 with the old manual 3 on the tree column. I want to get it off the floor and on the column since the current floor shifter hits my knee. Thanks I appreciate all the responses and pics.

OP
OP
F

freemanrebel

Ok change of plans. While I would like a column shift Ididit money is tight. I think I am just going to relocate the floor shifter to a location where it doesn't hit my knee and just live with it. I found this story about the boss bronco and its got the shifter in line with the transfer case shifter. I am going to go that route. It will look like this. I have the same old mustang shifter now and it doesn't look half bad to me.
008-comer-1969-ford-boss-bronco-interior-overall.jpg

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's a real slick install - Stroppe did a number of those using Mustang shifters and I think they look great.

I used a 78-79 tilt years ago in my truck with the shifter shaved off and the hole filled in the column.

Todd Z.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Hey Todd

i did the same But instead if filling the shifter hole after shaving i used it to run my tach wires through and then mounted the tach over the hole to hide it. made for a clean install
attachment.php

Attachments

• B910C04E-4ED8-49B5-B1AB-3D071727E4F8.jpg
    B910C04E-4ED8-49B5-B1AB-3D071727E4F8.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
I havea manual so will look better...
(78/9 Bronk I believe) shipped cross country when the BC link wuz OK.
Don't we have an install on here?

Also, fella on here sells the column part w/o auto lever hole calls a "smooth"
cup or something er the other...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Good idea Crush!! Clean look!!