• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 Bronco - Build In The Works

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are a couple more pictures from today.

The Rear of the Driver's Side Header may be close to the Hydraulic Slave Cylinder. I will test fit next.

Once the body is on and the Inner Fenders are set and maybe some other mods are done, then I will take it all apart again and Powder Coat the Frame and rebuild. At some point it will look awesome. In due time.

Attachments

• Coyote Drivers Clearance.jpg
    Coyote Drivers Clearance.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Coyote Drivers Header.jpg
    Coyote Drivers Header.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Coyote Drivers Header 2.jpg
    Coyote Drivers Header 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I have had a 7.3L Godzilla Crate Motor for over a year now waiting for additional engine swap parts and a Control Pack From Ford.

I will start to gather parts for the Godzilla install and install the Coyote Motor in my 71 F100.

It's a bout time I put this 7.3L in something.

Holley Front Drive System - All Accessories are high and tight away from frame and increased radiator clearance.
Holley Oil Pan and Oil System - 2" higher than the very low factory 7.3 Pan
Ford Performance Intake - Lower Throttle Body for additional Hood clearance. Holley Intake is nice and low too.
Fluidamper Harmonic Balancer - Shorter for additional Radiator clearance.
Ford Control Pack for Manual Transmission
6R80 with Quick6 Controller with Remote Display
Modified Exhaust Manifolds
New Engine mounts
Modified Front Crossmember -This should be the only Frame mod needed to clear front of Oil Pan

Thanks to cscotted for getting me back on track for this install with his list of parts needed.

Hopefully I don't have to wait too long for parts.

IMG_0979.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hopefully I don't have to wait too long for parts.
I guess that’s kind of the key question these days!
Has anybody posted up the difference in size and weight between the modern 5.0 and the 7.3?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess that’s kind of the key question these days!
Has anybody posted up the difference in size and weight between the modern 5.0 and the 7.3?

445 pounds for the 5.0l coyote

538 pounds for the 7.3l Godzilla.

I just looked up these numbers. Are the engines fully dressed? I have no idea. Safe bet, 7.3l is about 100 pounds heavier.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. I was hoping to hear that it was a little lighter than the coyote. Not that it’s not a big, heavy duty engine of course, but with all that extra cammage up on top, the coyote just looks heavy.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. I was hoping to hear that it was a little lighter than the coyote. Not that it’s not a big, heavy duty engine of course, but with all that extra cammage up on top, the coyote just looks heavy.

Coyote - Aluminum Block, Aluminum Heads. Much wider with the OHC Heads than a 351W.

Godzilla - Cast Iron Block and Aluminum Heads. Taller and a little Longer than a 351W. Holley components and lower profile Intake with help a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 7.3L Godzilla Ford Motorsports Intake (M-9424-73LP) and Control Pack (M-6017-73M) arrived today!

The Throttle Body that comes with the Control Pack has an adaptor. It fits the Factory Intake that came with the Crate Motor, but it does not fit the Ford Performance Intake. I'll need another adapter.

IMG_0987.jpg

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wish this engine was available when I did my Bronco. I am following this looks like an awesome build.
I think the 7.3L will be better suited for the Bronco than a Coyote. Plus it's something different.

I just wish the aftermarket parts were available sooner to support the Crate Motor. The Ford Control Pack took about a year and a half after the Crate was available.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have not found an adaptor for the Ford Performance Intake to the Control Pack Throttle Body. (87mm) Ford does not make one. So, I will use a Throttle Body that the Intake calls for (92mm) and have it calibrated as Ford Tech Line recommended.

Holley makes a 7.3L Intake that will work with a variety of Throttle bodies, but if seems that a calibration will need to be done anyway, even with just a new Intake.

Shome

Loc.
Union Bridge
I think the 7.3L will be better suited for the Bronco than a Coyote. Plus it's something different.

I just wish the aftermarket parts were available sooner to support the Crate Motor. The Ford Control Pack took about a year and a half after the Crate was available.
agreed.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For electronics I have the Dakota Digital RTX Gauge Cluster.

I will also use a Dakota BIM (BIM-01-2) with OBD-II connection to the 7.3L Control Pack (Via Data Port) to access additional engine information and add the respective displays to the RTX. This is an option that will replace adding additional sensors and wiring that would be for the RTX.

For the 6R80 Transmission I have the US Shift Quick 6 with remote display. This will be a stand alone computer that will tie into the RTX as well with transmission info.

The only parts left I am waiting for the Motor is the Holley Front Drive System with Oil Pan. I am told it may be a month or so......