• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help me make sense of my 72 302 power steering brackets (think they're wrong)

Rick NC

im assembling a 72 302 bronco, previous owner completely dissembled the car and I've been trying to make sense of everything. Bracket is stamped d1oa-3c511-aa

The power steering bracket , I know from pictures thats the correct way to mount it on the pump, and i believe the 5th slotted hole is a custom addition.

-The long 7/16" bolt going through the bracket/pump, I have going into the cylinder head top right bolt
-the bracket's top left bolt, i tried going into the water pump bolt you see backed out in the pic

doing this looks like the correct location for the pump to live, but the brackets OEM bottom left hole doesnt line up with anything. Its also stamped in a shape so the water pump bolts have different depths but the water pump itself has all its bolts on the same plane. All I can think is either its the wrong bracket (even though it looks identical to the repops) or regardless of what parts stores say this is the wrong water pump.

any help or direction is greatly appreciated.
Z-ER5WWzQtek3dYw9eUJsaxG5dDwLBeSuIkhgAESB9bVR2gShlD8s6pe10QvfLNnrB4IQGvwyANVbfvphQtwkx8l8Si9_WEfKfAE8GljvLR1C-Ua5fyNig0bAZOPpY3GGZl4KCw18KSrX94fdC37ssSwU3Gk1baYjXKBHRvSwF4i2JsGc5QJkhOI0dj3zGsgliPKqVjWDYjuPtltm34In1FO1Pv8ERQutGa1kr7YJ5xrmrInXtYOAs93bF4oimLCw_0p1JuPGXZCZhw2O89oPeZiXEM-3y0BrY_i7cLRd_HYGltSdjdFkOa06KvxIhpLcPUeFyxWrEkt73_MSViJNXP4p9lCPFtTbNePuiUjWSaqk8Bxhb47aN71z9hdlnskVcW0srz17Jslj4aMpyTj9lu0RpvYu5BkGxxqUnCnKV8YtUch1rjo99s6Uo-NQDHh6uMzuVbkCpB-hM5PAdR8LsKwOwziVlzUiE68j1WJBjjvcof-Bmzk0mSueYobuVJZnXnXzk2iuBzty5Lfh-Ul7ww7BkxOcfWTaEFiR8eql9IOWFikhke55heC6BZ8D1uw2VNK1fsxp5YQRWmc2G8uTtbnfYorxkJcBNfPixeYDjyTSU2H9w=w1168-h877-no

XeD96d9riGCPRv8sWC1mHADzJaVBBHgaPq5PdsZl3NUursLmzNihAuGY4Ac3mpJGuQMhEq2h8xUuQYqk1D_klDAJQX1JEfxhYAFKqM0NwMo22fA4G0y6FRr7SXaD3rD9DL-cVu4Mj2eaU5jCDdtKIY0Kgd7UB6Y_vCqfqrrAkZ2VZpWYxPRGjO5JHc5kLiG2HWxJbd8BkDvkYzsTONGU2IJliRaWFliGEj6Nwl5sfGa-V7KE-86b7KyBjZ07DqCnCJGcGNKRiJdOJx_hQZ3O9NDdENEG8uLk-Kwsq8wNHW2PIQHjK_bsmNBN6CDgCTaYul6ObOdIM4rCqplRSTC5XQv-FtfES3_JWhcoqo2vxWZGjxkR_gWV36fogfCORdJlZlDZXMIHTfe0jIlJFHYitUL5aCdXi7k_phiV4e9tSKY3FbF7p-6kSUEg7_pIgcf5vIuJ4joRndNofmbAHEcWWps1QnYYUrMbDetkSATMNhMY7PI60Ejf0mb1zZqYqBlomwtb-vZCq9_yYtsdQpLyLpmU8idKKytK0lnP3kWBJGCOpDlxQ_ZtOy2F7_h3qfZE-RyLQLeFLwSCYPhMHHQ4IQJDj_08JCsJlKBRBd7ksxEz6DDitODF-A=w1168-h877-no

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
It's difficult to tell from the picture but it looks to me like you've got truck brackets instead of EB brackets. Something else that pops out, why is your water pump flat? The upper should be further in from the bottom which is why the adjusting bracket is spaced the way it is.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
X2 on those brackets don't look right. The Bronco uses a cast aluminum pump bracket and a steel water pump bracket(similar to the one you have).

OP
OP
R

Rick NC

It's difficult to tell from the picture but it looks to me like you've got truck brackets instead of EB brackets. Something else that pops out, why is your water pump flat? The upper should be further in from the bottom which is why the adjusting bracket is spaced the way it is.

That pump matches the old rusty one that came off (original engine) and thats the pump that both Oreilly and Rockauto insist is correct. I also couldnt figure out why i have a pump with all bolt holes on the same plane but a bracket stamped with steps

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I think the water pump is correct. Here is a picture I borrowed from Drew. This is what it should look like minus the AC compressor and idler.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN1888.JPG
    Copy of DSCN1888.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 68

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like the stock pumps are in a flat plane, but in your case the iron version has more deeply recessed/machined reliefs around the bolt holes that make for higher ridges for the brackets to clear. Even with the proper bracket then, you'd need washers underneath to raise the bracket to the outer surface.

With the typical aluminum replacement (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Aluminum-Water-Pump-289-302-351W/early_bronco_water_pumps) the plane is still flat like yours, but the holes are closer to the surface of the machined flats.
Maybe that's what Ford changed to for water pumps for the '73 and later models? Did you happen to see if the part numbers were the same from '66 to '72, but changed perhaps with the '73 and later models? Just curious.

With what the others said about them looking like full size pickup truck brackets, what I think your brackets would fit are pumps with the driver's side inlet like this: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/16346/Fullsize_Bronco_Cooling
It looks like they'd fit the stepped bolt bosses on this style pump.

What is the letter in the 6th position of your VIN? If it's a "P" then the power steering might have come with your truck. But anything previous to that would likely never have had power steering from the factory.
And even if it had, it's entirely possible the PO sourced the setup to put on and either never got around to it, or ran into the same problem you're having now and just gave up before sourcing the correct parts.

Lot of that going around these days...

Paul

OP
OP
R

Rick NC

thank you everyone for the input, it helps a lot. From all the searching I've done it also revealed to me these things dont last long, especially with tall tires, so this pump was probably sourced from a junk yard and made to fit. Also made me realize since i have 35" tires, this is a great excuse to go with the superior Saginaw setup.

Looks like the stock pumps are in a flat plane, but in your case the iron version has more deeply recessed/machined reliefs around the bolt holes that make for higher ridges for the brackets to clear. Even with the proper bracket then, you'd need washers underneath to raise the bracket to the outer surface.

With the typical aluminum replacement (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Aluminum-Water-Pump-289-302-351W/early_bronco_water_pumps) the plane is still flat like yours, but the holes are closer to the surface of the machined flats.
Maybe that's what Ford changed to for water pumps for the '73 and later models? Did you happen to see if the part numbers were the same from '66 to '72, but changed perhaps with the '73 and later models? Just curious.

With what the others said about them looking like full size pickup truck brackets, what I think your brackets would fit are pumps with the driver's side inlet like this: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/16346/Fullsize_Bronco_Cooling
It looks like they'd fit the stepped bolt bosses on this style pump.

What is the letter in the 6th position of your VIN? If it's a "P" then the power steering might have come with your truck. But anything previous to that would likely never have had power steering from the factory.
And even if it had, it's entirely possible the PO sourced the setup to put on and either never got around to it, or ran into the same problem you're having now and just gave up before sourcing the correct parts.

Lot of that going around these days...

Paul

the Vin month code is N. This Bronco has a solid history of backyard hacking. I guess the rag joint/U joint on the steering shaft wore out, and what they got out of a junk yard didnt match up exactly, so they ground all the splines off the steering box input shaft, filed out their u-joint to match, and filed a slot onto the input shaft so the pinch bolt would be keyed into place.

I usually work on Chevelles and I am used to reman steering boxes being $75-100 since chevy used the same design for 30+ years. Got the nice rude awakening when I saw the cheapest option for the Bronco is the Borg $495 conversion box

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, wait until you see what a reman box is at the local parts stores.
They seem reasonable at first blush (like in the 300 range) but the core charges can typically run into the 600 to 800 range! And that means if you don't have an exact core to return, you're on the hook for $1100 now. Not fun after the first excitement of finding a good deal.
Oh, and the rebuilders don't even have them usually anyway. You usually have to turn in your core first, wait the 4-6 weeks for the rebuilder to get it back to the store and hope they knew what they were doing because their expertise was in Chevelle boxe!;);D

No rag joint on a '72 either (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Steering_Shafts), so even that was hacked in. Unless Ford started earlier than the P I mentioned. Anything is possible with these very inconsistent and low production volume utility vehicles.
But hey, they're cool! Right?%);D

Glad you're getting all into yours though Rick. Hope some of the shock is still overshadowed by the fun parts. And hanging out with like-minded Bronco owners too!

Have fun.

Paul

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
OK, your water pump is correct, the brackets are in fact wrong. The EB adjusting bracket has a jog in it, but the two water pump bolts are on the same plane. Like this:

IMG_0259.JPG

OP
OP
R

Rick NC

OK, your water pump is correct, the brackets are in fact wrong. The EB adjusting bracket has a jog in it, but the two water pump bolts are on the same plane. Like this:

IMG_0259.JPG

basically just ordered everything you have there, except the saginaw pump I got has the return pointed down lower.

$72 for pump/pulley/cap
$82 for brackets shipped

had already ordered everything to go AN lines on the steering %) but luckily just have to get a different AN adapter for the pressure port to -6 AN on the pump since the ford one used a very strange female inverted flare 1/2-20 thread (anybody needs that just let me know!).

Stock length steering belt work with this setup^^?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah those old stock boxes were not meant for glory in the modern age.
And they're the devil to find new, used or rebuilt.

Was thinking by your first post that maybe you were trying to keep it stock-ish as much as possible, but with the aluminum intake and heads(?) and the chrome distributor, I think "stock" went out the window a long time ago!;D
Best to go better than stock.

Have fun-ish...

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
99, That picture of a restored '77 engine is incredible. Who is Drew and how can I get in touch with him? He even has the yellow OK inspection mark mine had when new. The PS and all the other brackets are correct too.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
99, That picture of a restored '77 engine is incredible. Who is Drew and how can I get in touch with him? He even has the yellow OK inspection mark mine had when new. The PS and all the other brackets are correct too.

Hey jckkys. It is Broncitis (http://classicbroncos.com/forums/member.php?u=10836). I have seen a couple of his restorations and they are top notch.

There are more pictures of it in this thread. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2373534

jckkys

Bronco Guru
99 Thanks! That's great work he's done. No shortcuts I can see and I bought my '77 new, so I know what they looked like. As with many top notch restorations his actually looks better than new, with no cheesy chrome or billet bling. What he's done is more difficult than most the so called resto mods.