• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque worm vs truetrac

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ve read thatitslikebuying tools from Harbor Freight. You don’t know what you’re gonna get. SoeedMaster is based in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
I run a truetrac and am happy. But am building a 77 axle right now and figured I would see what the general thought was on them. Figured it was the typical “you get what you pay for” deal.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I almost bought one a couple years ago. They were on ebay for 275 (28 and 31 spline) and 290 for a 35 spline. I had just bought 31 spline shafts and that's what kept me from buying one. If I was going to use something of unknown reputation, I wanted it to be the stongest option available. I eventually wound up with a Yukon grizzly.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The 35 spline Truetrac has 5 planetary gears.

Attachments

• IMG_4197.jpg
    IMG_4197.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 161

Ranchtruck

Anyone have experience with one of these Torque Worm diffs? There's zilch for reviews on them online and they've been around a while. I'm considering a 28 spline one, it's tempting for $290 shipped. I also don't want to spend $ on total garbage though if that's the case.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you have everything you need to know, no history, price to good to be true, no ratings.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Think of where "its tempting " usually leads. True tracks are proven.the extra $$ is piece of mind on a trail.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I also look at it this way, in a year and a half nobody has come back to say they broke one.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
not sure about the one listed above but the Powertrax Grip Pro has some good feedback, would like to run one and see how well it holds. The Ford 9" 31 spline model # is 109031, amazon has them for $390

matts460

I've put 20k on my 77 9" 28 spline Tru-Trac and love it. It works great. But it is more aggressive than the OG Trac-lock diff, so if you like to play in snow/ice you may find yourself in 4x4 more often than not...well when you need to be straight in the road lane instead of sideways through town lol. That's with A/T tires so you fella's with M/T's on ice only will probably be in 4wheel just to get going from stop light/sign without rear sliding over. But its no Detroit Locker either. No maint or noise is a plus too.

Ranchtruck

I have a true-trac in my Tacoma, I like the way it works and have always preferred a LSD in any vehicle I drove. I would much rather be going sideways and still making forward progress than stuck with one wheel spinning. Those that object to sideways sliding and prefer an open diff on snow/ice just don't know how to drive.

I looked up the powertrax diff, seems identical to the speedmaster one and possibly comes from the same factory since they hit on a bunch of the same catch phrases in their description of materials. However Amazon had a powertrax 28spline for sale for $250 shipped, one left, more coming soon. So I ordered it. When I refreshed the page after, 16 available at the new price of $440. We shall see.

It's going in a 9" out of a 58 F100 that I put in my girlfriends 50 F1. It needs new axle and pinion seals so figured should put a LSD in at the same time. It's only a 2wd truck so I hope to reduce the disappointment of being stuck everywhere that comes with a 2wd truck. Didn't want to break the budget though since I still have small details left like mounting the Mercedes om617 diesel and M5odR2 tranny in the chassis.

Crippwarrior12

What does everyone know about this speed master torque worm. As far as I can tell it’s similar to the truetrac, but uses a 6 gear planetary instead of 3. Also it costs less.

https://speedmaster79.com/ford-9-31...-gear-limited-slip-differential-truetrac-lsd/
well what i know is it uses clutches. And worm or planetary gears and does wear out. The true trac is the only helical gear system that requires no clutches and no maintanance. And will most likely never fail I have one as oe in my 2004 dodge deisel and am putting one in the front diff replacing spider gears that are failing. After 100k teeth are starting to chip.

Crippwarrior12

So for anyone wondering the true trac is far superior to the speed master and has no clutches to wear true trac is and has been the best on the market pricy but do it once and forget it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I have a true-trac in my Tacoma, I like the way it works and have always preferred a LSD in any vehicle I drove. I would much rather be going sideways and still making forward progress than stuck with one wheel spinning. Those that object to sideways sliding and prefer an open diff on snow/ice just don't know how to drive.

I looked up the powertrax diff, seems identical to the speedmaster one and possibly comes from the same factory since they hit on a bunch of the same catch phrases in their description of materials. However Amazon had a powertrax 28spline for sale for $250 shipped, one left, more coming soon. So I ordered it. When I refreshed the page after, 16 available at the new price of $440. We shall see.

It's going in a 9" out of a 58 F100 that I put in my girlfriends 50 F1. It needs new axle and pinion seals so figured should put a LSD in at the same time. It's only a 2wd truck so I hope to reduce the disappointment of being stuck everywhere that comes with a 2wd truck. Didn't want to break the budget though since I still have small details left like mounting the Mercedes om617 diesel and M5odR2 tranny in the chassis.

WOW, quite a statement about "...that object to sideways sliding and prefer an open diff on snow/ice just don't know how to drive."

You are obviously talking about the majority of people with selectable lockers then- me included. It's also obvious you have never been wheeling off road with a general statement like that, because if you've EVER been wheeling in rugged terrain trying to side hill on snow or ice or clay type mud you'd understand that an open diff or selectable can and commonly does keep you from sliding down the hillside sideways. Ask anybody that wheels a lot in our Valley- well known fact ...

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
WOW, quite a statement about "...that object to sideways sliding and prefer an open diff on snow/ice just don't know how to drive."

You are obviously talking about the majority of people with selectable lockers then- me included. It's also obvious you have never been wheeling off road with a general statement like that, because if you've EVER been wheeling in rugged terrain trying to side hill on snow or ice or clay type mud you'd understand that an open diff or selectable can and commonly does keep you from sliding down the hillside sideways. Ask anybody that wheels a lot in our Valley- well known fact ...

True wisdom from NVRstuck. No more to say.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Thanks for the comment, lot's of others here have the same experience and are great resources. Learn new stuff almost every day here! :)

I've just run spools, Detroits, Auburns, Lincoln lockers, Ford Trac-locs and impatiently waited for ARB back in Feb 1987 telling me it would be about 6 months till they had the 31 spline 9" model out for their largest market share, the Ford 9". Well, it took them till the mid '90s to stuff that 31 spline unit in...and they had some upgrades immediately following. I finally bought my rear ARB in '95 to match my front one for my D44 from 1987. Night and Day for sidehilling in off camber conditions which we get here all winter...

I'd never run a Detroit again where I live, besides the fact that when an axle breaks or a ujoint grenades the Detroit usually explodes. Seen that happen all too often.