• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 Conversion Questions

EarlyBronc74

Loc.
Central Texas
I have read the article over @ West Coast Broncos on the 4x4x2 rebuild.

They list a link to the seals kit for the rebuild but the link does not work anymore.

Anyone know what seal kit I need to purchase to do the rebuild?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I would think a kit for the 4x4 box which would be 78-79 bronco but not positive. You're in Texas. Try calling west Texas off road. They've done enough boxes for guys on here they may give you a part number.

wsager

I'll be doing mine in the next year. Like SteveL, I assumed the 1978 Bronco would work. One part number would be, GATES 351240 or GATES 350520 with bearings. Hopefully, someone will verify.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't installed mine yet, so hopefully I have the correct parts, but I bought the Edelmann #8540 rebuild kit, which included the bearing. In looking up that part number, it looks like it applies to the 78-79 Bronco application, as well as numerous others.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I am going thru this same issue right now. I removed a dust seal with # 5684278 on it followed by a leaking seal with IPC 5783378 on it.

Oreilly's had way different looking seals, meaning what it calls for versus what came out of it.

Just ordered this, so we shall see. The MAC site say the alt part # is D7AZ-3E501-KT not far off from the dealership #. https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_...0-with-ford-type-power-steering-gear-box.html

Going to try Auto Zone in a bit, they have this on the shelf. Part # 8520 https://www.autozone.com/external-e..._30169_0?fromString=search&make=&model=&year=

Ford dealership had Sector/Output Shaft Seal part # D7AZ3E501B $36.00 77-79 F150 steering box, close but overall outside diameter was different (new was bigger, big enough I did not want to force that much in there).

Rock Auto says part # SKF 12355 or National part # 7412S (1st out dust seal single lip) and SKF 11055 or part National part # 471413 (second out double lip seal).

Talked to Jeff at Borgeson 800-482-8283, he said all depends on the top and input shaft cover being aluminium or not. Could be a Ford, Delphi-Nissian or Asian Nissan steering box.

Last edited:

wsager

Now I’m confused. Both my donors are Ford boxes. Hope that makes it easier.

FordBronc

Contributor
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Auto Zone part #8520 was a no go as far comparison match to what came out.

UPDATE: Ok FINALLY got some seals that match what came out. Had a very diligent Auto Zone employee run the #'s that were on the old seals and located some from Duralast part # PSK1. Got 2 seals (one double lip, one single) the 2 spacer washers and another snap ring.

Last edited:

FordBronc

Contributor
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Seals fit great and held up during the bleeding process. Help up so well that I got enough pressure to show ME I HAD A CRACKED STEERING BOX....

Pulling my old box today and getting a used one from a friends parts rig. A 79 4wd F150, then to reverse it out. I hope that a guts swap will be all I need to do.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yay! Uh, I mean, bummer that sucks!
Glad you got the seals, but sorry you ran into a very common EB box problem from way back. Maybe it's been cracked for awhile?

Back when everyone took theirs off roading, especially with larger tires and any type of traction aids, the stock boxes cracked cases and broke sector shafts on a fairly regular basis unless you were pretty easy on things (driving like you knew it could break in other words!) until the '76 and '77 box came around. I think the quicker steering ratio put less torque into the box and more into your hands maybe? But that's just a guess.

It's also the reason there are so many different boxes that have been tried on Broncos. Not to mention the cost of the stock ones having been through the roof for the better part of the last thirty years or so.%)

You going to go back with stock? Or beef it up some? Knowing how you will drive it and what size tires you have will help you make that decision, but if you're going to be playing hard with it, now's the time to upgrade.
Otherwise, nothing else wrong with stock, and lots of them still on the road to prove it.

Good luck.

Paul

FordBronc

Contributor
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Well my box is tagged SPA-AU and has the # 7812145 on it, so that is a Saginaw box for a 76/77 right? Ford engineer # D6TZ-3504E...

Bronco is a 71 by the VI and a put together rig, so no telling what the PO did. A friend gave me a Ford box from a 79 F150 4wd. So now I have to go back and JY search for a 2wd box and swap guts in it to get the correct rotation, at least WCB says that is the way to do it.

The other guy helping me might have a lead on another Sag box for cheap, so that might be the way I go or its full hydro and never worry again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm thinking that full hydro is not something you never have to worry about again though!
Sure, you won't likely crack the gear box anymore;);D but you'll make up for it in plumbing, fabbing, fiddling and farting I'm sure.
Not to mention it would suck on the street compared to a direct box.
Or do you even drive these on the street? Strictly hard off-roaders?

Since you have the makings of a 4x4x2 box, you could convert it to ram-assist and have the best of both worlds.
Maybe...

Paul

FordBronc

Contributor
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Correct if I go full hydro, a cracked steering box is all I should not have to worry about again. Plans and ideas have already changed.

I got a call back from a guy that has located an original outer box like mine (for cheap) and is putting my cracked box's guts in it. I should have it back by mon or tue.

I am looking into a Superlift style (inside the frame and on top using the 4 bolts) brace and a cup bearing design by some other vendor as some reinforcement. I believe I might have to make something using their ideas. Do not think those type items are for sale anymore?

"Sector Shaft Brace" is what I believe I am looking for from James Duff?

Attachments

• james duff.jpg
    james duff.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 124
  • steering brace inside.jpg
    steering brace inside.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 127
  • steering brace outside..jpg
    steering brace outside..jpg
    76 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've always thought the sector shaft brace was a clean and clever idea. No idea how well they work, since not everyone breaks their box anyway. But don't think I've heard of anyone breaking one with the brace, so that's a good sign.

Some people will stop at nothing to get some more strength;D:
iPhone Pics 095 (Large).jpg

Paul

FordBronc

Contributor
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Well that inside the frame/top of the steering box brace is NOT made by Superlift...so who makes it? Anyone know?

I though that James Duff made the "Sector Shaft Brace"..nope...any one? Bueler.. Bueler..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't seen either of them in a long time. Even if it was made by Superlift (and I don't know that it was for a fact) they could have long since stopped making it for not selling many.
Same for the brace, but that seems like a clever and low-buck part that could be kept on the shelf without too much initial investment. So not sure about that one.

Neither of those was a Sierra Bronco part, was it? Or Bronco Parts in Sacramento?
I can't remember who I first saw sporting one of those.

Paul

FordBronc

Contributor
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I found both the pics on the web...Thank you for the reply, looks like I am going to have to fab something up. Will be easier if the fender and inner fenderwell are off...I was trying to avoid that, guess not.

Having total easy access to the mounted box (when making my cardboard pattern) will make it way easier.

And since I am going that deep, looks like I will rehab that dvrs frame rail section since it will be all open.

FordBronc

Contributor
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Decided to build my own brace since I can not locate one. Converted my old broken p/s box top cap bolts to studs. Made a pattern, made the 1st piece. Decided it was to thin, got some thicker material and remade the 1st piece.

Once I get some more material tomorrow I will make the second half, weld it up, convert my new box to studs, hang it, mount the brace and go from there.

FYI if you see an S on your box, its a Saginaw.

Attachments

• 100_3664.jpg
    100_3664.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_3665.jpg
    100_3665.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_3668.jpg
    100_3668.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_3677.jpg
    100_3677.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_3670.jpg
    100_3670.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 59

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good stuff Rich. Can't wait to see the end result.
Is that material in the pics the thicker stuff you mentioned? Is it 3/16" or something else?

You also going to brace/surround the lower sector area on the outside like in that earlier photo?

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, thinking those old body mounts look a little tired too. Looks like more clearance will eventually be available when you replace those.
Is that a custom radiator as well? Just thinking the tank looks a little different.

So EarlyBronc74, did you ever get yours sorted and sealed?

Paul