• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sealed intake manifold!!

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
manifold

Tapping into the thermostat housing housing does not give an accurate reading as it is affected too much by the opening and closing of the thermostat.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The holley sniper occupies the original coolant temp port. If I tap and create a new temp port in the rear and install the sending unit, will I get an accurate temp reading for the gauge cluster? Most of the new intakes do not have enough ports when installing aftermarket fuel injection. It would seem the manufacturers would be going the opposite way and adding more temp ports due to popularity of after market fuel injection.

The rear port will not be accurate. It will read cold.
If you look at the coolant flow through the engine you will see cold water is pulled out of the radiator and pushed into the block. There are only a couple of tiny spot cooling holes between the block and the head until you get to the back of the engine. That is where the majority of the water then transfers up into the head and flows from the back of the head to the front. The head is where most of the heat occurs at. At the front of the head the water leaves and goes into the intake were both banks merge together and leaves at the thermostat.

If you don't need a strong heater you take on of the rear coolant passage ports and use that to feed the heater. That will leave two open ports at the front of the engine to read properly. The heater will get water that has been warmed via the bypass hose and heat off the cylinders but not heat pulled off the heads. I live in AZ and found this worked just fine for me. If you really need heat, it will be reduced a little bit.