• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Pan Mod for Coyote

mbhaddad

I am working on a coyote build and i've got notes from a while back that i will need to modify to oil pan to fit with a 2.5" SL. I can't seem to find the source of my notes and would like to do the mods with the motor on the stand before trying to install it. Does anyone know what needs to be done to it to clear?

The motor i picked up came from someone who was going to swap into a newer mustang and he had a canton laying around, wondering is that would actually be the right clearances for the modifications of the stock pan?

https://lmr.com/item/CAN-15730/Mustang-Canton-Coyote-Swap-Oil-Pan-79-10-15-730

STalon89

To get the motor in the truck you'll need coyote motor mounts, oil relocation kit (oem wont clear the frame), and take an inch of the passenger fender well. I would do the serpentine kit, oil relocate and headers while the motor is out. Things get tight once you drop it in.
I dont believe you'll have any oil pan clearance issues. They say if you're going off road alot to do a 3.5 lift to get a little more clearance.
Also, you'll need a 2 inch body lift to get the brake booster up off the valve cover and to make some room in the transmission tunnel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbhaddad

To get the motor in the truck you'll need coyote motor mounts, oil relocation kit (oem wont clear the frame), and take an inch of the passenger fender well. I would do the serpentine kit, oil relocate and headers while the motor is out. Things get tight once you drop it in.
I dont believe you'll have any oil pan clearance issues. They say if you're going off road alot to do a 3.5 lift to get a little more clearance, but that is just for debris, not fitment.
I have a 2.5" lift and its fine, nothing modified.
Also, you'll need a 2 inch body lift to get the brake booster up off the valve cover and to make some room in the transmission tunnel.

Interesting,I have the BC motor mounts and oil relocation, going to pickup their sep setup soon, i have some mustang headers that i guess need to either be modified or replaced. I swore there was an issue with the oil pan hitting either the front diff or the cross member at 2.5". Are you running normal bump stops?

Last edited:

STalon89

I stand corrected. This is a surprise to me as well. Just spoke with Jason. 2.5" lift you'll need to mod your factory pan. 3.5" lift, you wont. He's unsure if the pan from LMR will work. They are currently working on a pan that you can run with any lift or even stock height. Said its about 6 weeks out. Looks like I am going to have modify mine. Luckily theres no fluid in yet. Hes sending over some pics of the factory pan modified for reference, I will include them here once I get them

STalon89

I would also suggest grabbing all your parts from one vendor if you can. Ive heard of problems with some headers not clearing because they used anothers motor mounts. Headers and serpentine are a very tight fit.

OP
OP
M

mbhaddad

My guess is that the main dip down is too tall and contacts the diff housing the mod would then need to have an inch taken out of the main belly?

San-Fransisco-Gallery-27.jpg

STalon89

Yup. On large dips when the suspension flexes, it hits the diff. When I get the picture from him it should be pretty obvious.

I would much rather modify the pan than go to 3.5". Truck is tall enough with the 2" body lift.

lbrendis

Any luck on the pics of the modified oil pan. I have 3.5 lift and it kisses the front diff when I stomp on it. I don't want to rely on bump stops I would rather let the suspension cycle naturally.

OP
OP
M

mbhaddad

Last edited:

lbrendis

Thanks for the response. Were you able to use your factory dipstick (it says you can) and your factory oil pickup? 2 inches more of clearance would keep me off my diff.

BR66-77

@mbhaddad

How's the Moroso pan work out for you with the 2.5 lift? Does it clears the differ. if so, how much clearance do you have now?

I will need this part for my 69 coyote swap.

Thanks in advance.

STalon89

This is an interesting topic. BC Broncos says you need to modify the pan at 2.5" but not at 3.5". Bryan at classic ford broncos says he runs all his trucks at 2.5 and doesnt modify any of their oil pans.

Anyone have actual confirmation of contact at 2.5? Keep in mind that this truck will not be going off road.

OP
OP
M

mbhaddad

@mbhaddad

How's the Moroso pan work out for you with the 2.5 lift? Does it clears the differ. if so, how much clearance do you have now?

I will need this part for my 69 coyote swap.

Thanks in advance.

It didn't workout at all, in my case with the AX15 the tremek bell housing with the pull type clutch lever ended up hitting the protruding point of the oil pan. The pan protrudes out on the sides to hold oil instead of going down further. It would probably work on an automatic trans or hydraulic clutch setup. I still have the pan sitting around if interested in a good deal pm me

thiswildbronco

I stand corrected. This is a surprise to me as well. Just spoke with Jason. 2.5" lift you'll need to mod your factory pan. 3.5" lift, you wont. He's unsure if the pan from LMR will work. They are currently working on a pan that you can run with any lift or even stock height. Said its about 6 weeks out. Looks like I am going to have modify mine. Luckily theres no fluid in yet. Hes sending over some pics of the factory pan modified for reference, I will include them here once I get them

Looks like I'm bumping this thread back up. I'm in the middle of a Coyote swap and am looking for the right solution to the oil pan clearance issues. Above there is mention of "Jason" who was in the process of producing a modified pan? Back in February '18, he was 6 weeks out. I'd love to find out about Jason and what happened to this. Thanks!

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Looks like I'm bumping this thread back up. I'm in the middle of a Coyote swap and am looking for the right solution to the oil pan clearance issues. Above there is mention of "Jason" who was in the process of producing a modified pan? Back in February '18, he was 6 weeks out. I'd love to find out about Jason and what happened to this. Thanks!

Can't help with the pan question, by Jason is one of the owners of BC Broncos

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thanks Jaromy!!! Much appreciated!
BTW, I know you from insta (I'm thiswildbronco). Love your ride!!!

Calling Jason now

You're welcome! Are you still working with Robert on yours? I love all the parts that you've used so far :cool:

thiswildbronco

You're welcome! Are you still working with Robert on yours? I love all the parts that you've used so far :cool:

Yup, Robert's the Man! I got seriously delayed waiting for a Dennis Carpenter tub which took MONTHS to arrive, then many months working with an inferior product. Eventually sent it back and am about to receive a new tub from Scotty Winton. We receive it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Robert has been fabbing up a wicked coil-over set up that will work with my LUBR without cutting into the floor. I'm ready to start making some more rapid progress.