• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trailer

Bronco Maniac

I am considering buying a trailer for the Bronco. I don't know anything about them. Any recommendations? I assume I will get a bumper pull.

Steel decking or wood? 18' is good?

What type of tie downs? Those that go around the top of the wheel? Strap around axle? Where to attach to Bronco? Attach to trailer?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I bought an aluminum one and really like it over a steel one if you can afford it. Might be worth looking on craigslist, just avoid the scammers and those without titles.

I went with 20ft to give me more options on what to tow. I think the 18ft is fine if you are planning on the just the Bronco. They usually have four or six tie downs for normal straps (my preference), might have to add a few if you want to do the around the tire style.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What are you going to tow it with? What other uses are you thinking it could be used for?

A typical car trailer is about 2000 pounds. The ratings are total trailer weight, not cargo weight. So a trailer that is rated for 7000 only has a 5000 pound payload. A typical Bronco will be closing in on maxing that out.

Don't get a trailer that is just barely good enough. You will want some reserve capacity. Gives a fair bit of margin on things like tires, bearings, and brakes. It's a bit overkill but a 10k rated trailer is my choice. And when your buddies 1-ton truck breaks down it can be called into duty in a pinch.

Wood V. diamond plate. Wood is more forgiving for traction. Even with an oil spill on it isn't too slick, Diamond plate is a skating rink with any rain or oil. But the wood will rot. If you own it long enough you will be replacing boards. I've been a metal floor man for a long time, but I am starting to like wood more and more.

Tie downs, yellow 2" ratchet straps. How to tie down, that's like asking what oil to use. My soapbox on it, based off taking training for a roll back tow truck and the manufacturer's instructions. Tie the frame down. Squish the suspension down. It converts the load from dynamic (moving around on the trailer) to static (a solid part of the trailer). Tight enough that even on bumps the straps will never go slack. A slack strap snapped tight is a good way to break a strap. But that isn't enough. Safety tie the axles as well. Even if just chain that isn't tight, just a backup way to keep the cargo on the trailer. Straps need to be crossed, or at least angled. Never pull straight back, even sucked down the rear tires will walk side to side on the trailer. Crossing them puts a positive side locating as part of the hold down. Other's will have different opinions. I hate feeling the cargo shift on the trailer, that makes for an uncomfortable tow vehicle.

Answer the questions at the top and I will probably have more suggestions for you.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
How wide is it? I borrow a trailer and the Bronco just fits. I'm running stock axles but have 10" rims and 15.5" wide tires. I can't go to 12" rims or full size axles unless I go out and buy my own trailer too...

Something to possibly consider...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
How wide is it? I borrow a trailer and the Bronco just fits. I'm running stock axles but have 10" rims and 15.5" wide tires. I can't go to 12" rims or full size axles unless I go out and buy my own trailer too...

lol I was getting ready to say the same thing. if your running full width make sure you have drive over fenders or removable. trailer brakes are a must. 18' deck is about right, metal or wood. I like metal, easy to repaint if it gets all scratched up and last forever. the bad is it's not very comfortable laying on when working under the bronco, and it's hot lol. also make sure you get the heavier axles.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
...I like metal, easy to repaint if it gets all scratched up and last forever. the bad is it's not very comfortable laying on when working under the bronco, and it's hot lol. also make sure you get the heavier axles.

Do you prefer hot or splinters in the back?

I recently heard that the reason they kept wood floors in truck beds up into the 60s was that hoofed animals can stand on a wood floor but slide on a metal truck bed. The farmers wanted wood floor for hauling animals.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
18' is a good medium. All the other questions are appropriate too. What the plans

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
lol I was getting ready to say the same thing. if your running full width make sure you have drive over fenders or removable. trailer brakes are a must. 18' deck is about right, metal or wood. I like metal, easy to repaint if it gets all scratched up and last forever. the bad is it's not very comfortable laying on when working under the bronco, and it's hot lol. also make sure you get the heavier axles.

Or find someone to build it just a little extra wide
I did

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I am considering buying a trailer for the Bronco. I don't know anything about them. Any recommendations? I assume I will get a bumper pull.

Steel decking or wood? 18' is good?

What type of tie downs? Those that go around the top of the wheel? Strap around axle? Where to attach to Bronco? Attach to trailer?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Axle straps are such a good thing. Get 4. I criss cross in front and rear are straight back tied down

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
20 ft tilt bed mission brand rated 10k

Great trailer I wouldn't buy less than a 20 ft 81 wide if bought new lifetime and service warranty except tires was not cheap I got 2k off list price find a dealer that has had one sitting on the lot and make them an offer couldnt find a nice one used so I bought new

Attachments

• IMG_4328.jpg
    IMG_4328.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

Plan to tow with an F250 with a brake controller. I said 18' because that is what I have seen commonly listed. What is the typical width? I am running 33's but not sure of the overall width. I am working out of town right now.

I think aluminum would be nice, but probably too expensive for what I want to spend unless I can find a used one.

The brake lines don't get in the way with axle straps?

I guess I would haul whatever else I needed to haul on it??? I have a 5 x 10 utility trailer. The car trailer would be convenient to haul anything on a pallet.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Aluminum sounds nice, until you decide you want to add a winch in the future. Steel is nice to weld stuff to later.

18' with electric brakes will work fine. Widths are fairly normal, they are built to max legal width. That is just normal. You can load a normal full size pickup without issues. It's when you are going wide, extra wide, you get into issues.

Typically you will find a dovetail trailer. The last couple of feet are angled down. You still have ramps to slide in and out. Another option not brought up is a tilt deck. H&H trailers makes a nice one I was looking at a few years back. There are several styles of tilt. A co-worker got one. He made sure to get a full tilting deck, some have the first few feet fixed.

If looking used, price a set of tires. Every used car trailer will have old rotten abused tires. It is often cheaper to get a good new trailer instead of a deal that needs fixing up. But used deals do exist, they go fast. Someone who just bought one for a one time move and is selling (cheaper than renting) can be a good value. Watch the paperwork trail. They may have bought the trailer, never titled it in there name and will hand you a signed in there name title out of state title. That makes for an ugly title issue that isn't worth it.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
18' is a really good size for the Bronco and any other vehicle that might need to be trailered. Brakes on both axles for sure, some don't have that. You'll be okay with the standard width, most of the fenders will flex enough to allow you to get past them if needed. If you push them out enough times you or a friend can always weld braces under to help hold them.

Tying down, what a can of worms, anything will work, but here's what I do. I had axle tabs welded on and use 2" straps directly inline with the tabs about 2' in front and rear of the Bronco. Why? This method allows any size tire or modification to be used. Strapping the suspension down to a point of bump stops is hard on the suspension and totally unnecessary, why? You don't want the Bronco to become part of the trailer suspension because for the most part the trailer doesn't have suspension, just axles with no shocks. Making the trailer suspension absorb the weight of the Bronco just wears the hangers and tires out quicker. You don't need the tabs, just use the axle straps to get under the brake lines. If you strap your Bronco this way, as you go down the road the Bronco will rock and bounce utilizing the shocks and suspension just as though you were driving down the road, not bouncing up and down like an empty trailer. I don't like the straps at an angle because if one of those break and you don't know it, it can cause the Bronco to creep to the side of the good strap and I see a potential disaster in an accident. Strapped directly down to the trailer, in an emergency situation, the axles will stay planted to the trailer even if one front and one rear strap breaks, period, not so with the other methods mentioned.

Did you see the post from David, Jamey and Steve with the 38' trailer on their recent trek to the Rubicon? All three strapped down by the axles and never moved. Good luck!

texbronc

Loc.
Austin, TX
My 18 ft works great for me. As mentioned above, I would consider heavier axles as this one is nearly maxed out. I prefer the axle straps and straight tie-downs all four corners.

Attachments

• IMG_7333.jpg
    IMG_7333.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 33

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

yeah that too, had to ask for mine to be a little wider w/the spacers I run and it's still a TIGHT Fit...