• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hercules D2300 3.7 Diesel?

Chrisb95

Loc.
Laramie
Hi there!
I have access to a White-Hercules D2300 3.7l diesel out of an old bread truck for cheap. It is currently mated to a t18 tranny. I am looking at this swap to get better gas mileage. The old bread trucks would get ~22mpg around town fully loaded. I know that the truck will be underpowered, and I am ok with that.

I am wondering if anybody has attempted/completed this swap? If so, any advice to give a newbie?

I am picking the engine up tomorrow...

Wyo4x4er

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f33/ford-hercules-3-7-l-turbo-diesel-160093/

From what i read on other sites it is about 100- 125 lbs lighter than a cummins but it is also only 200 ft lbs of torque. For a deisel in a bronco that weights as much as a big block it seems weak. I havent found anything about turbo options to bump the numbers, it was also mentioned that it is taller than the cummins which could be a problem.

But all that being said, diesel swaps are pretty straight forward and most the work will be in fitment fabrication and vibration issolation. If you have it laying around and are bored of typlical swaps i say play ball!! Just be sure to post a build thread and plenty of pictures!

Cheers!;D

OP
OP
Chrisb95

Chrisb95

Loc.
Laramie
Thanks for the info! I did some more research and found that the engine that I am picking up is the 1st gen Hercules, which is less desirable than the generation 2's, which are more similar in torque and hp to the 4bt. The generation 2' are the same blocks as the generation 1's. The generation 2's have little squirters inside the crankcase that spray the bottom of the pistons, keeping them cooler. That is why it is not really safe to push much more power out of a generation 1.

I am going to attempt this swap. If I am unhappy with the power/weight ratio, I will try to find a generation 2 to throw in to replace the weaker generation one.

As for the fitment, I believe my np435 should bolt up to the block without an adapter, saving $. I am hoping it will fit without having to move the tranny, therefore i can use the same drivelines etc... Also, I am hoping that I wont have to doghouse the firewall due to length. I am running a hood scoop and a 1" body lift, so hopefully height isn't an issue.

As for vibration isolation, the Hercules is supposedly a much smoother running engine than the 4bt and Detroit, but there's only one way to know for sure.
I am tired of getting ~7 to the gallon, that is what spurred me to attempt a diesel swap.

I will make sure and do a build thread, with all parts required and ill try to take pictures of every step. :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Sounds like a fun swap with a bunch of learnin' to do... :)

Keep us posted...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Np435/t18 basically the same either one will bolt behind it. Actaully it probably has a t19 behind it since tat was the more commonly used tranny behind diesels still basically the same as a t518/np435
Supposedly the gen 1 engines are not so good. still might get more than 7mpg but have you really looked into why your only getting 7mpg now? There's a lot more to getting better mileage than just a engine.

OP
OP
Chrisb95

Chrisb95

Loc.
Laramie
I have a camper on my bronco that creates a ton of wind resistance. That kills my mileage. I'm lifted 5.5" with 4.11 gears and I have a np435 with no overdrive. That also doesn't help.

I've done my research. The gen 1 hercules are bulletproof as long as you don't mod them. They have been a popular swap into the old m37 dodge military trucks and people have been happy with them. And apparently they got ~20mpg around town in the old bread trucks fully loaded.

My 351w also overheats. No matter what I do, it won't stay cool. I have a Howe 4 pass aluminum radiator, high flow water pump, big flex fan, electric pusher fan and an oil and power steering cooler with fan. I believe the machine shop bored it over too much when they rebuilt it.

OP
OP
Chrisb95

Chrisb95

Loc.
Laramie
nypypubu.jpg

me8u3u3y.jpg

vagu6ezu.jpg
e7ahe7u7.jpg

Went down to Fort Collins CO and picked up a diesel. I looked at it and it looks like it already had adapters that bolt on to a v8 crossmember.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
And a turbo
nice
A non turbo diesel is a real slug
I have a 82 chebby with the 6.2 non turbo

I tossed around the idea of transplanting one of my Toyota 1KZT. Diesels in my EB. But sold em to a guy in Texas

I swapped one in a 95 4Runner and it would be a nice engine in a EB
3.0 liter turbo. No computers

OP
OP
Chrisb95

Chrisb95

Loc.
Laramie
Yeah hopefully this works out! This engine requires only a single wire to run, 12v to the fuel accumulator. All the other wires are for oil pressure, coolant temp, etc... The electrical Is extremely simple.

OP
OP
Chrisb95

Chrisb95

Loc.
Laramie
Awesome ill definitely be following this!

Thanks!!! Your pretty local to me! The guy I bought the engine from was just north of Fort Collins. He had another 3.7 diesel laying around... If this swap works out, I may pick up that other engine to throw in my uncles 72.

Also is anyone wanting to purchase a 351?:p

Colorado75Bronc

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Ya I'm in Colorado Springs, I plan to do a 4bt swap in mine when funds allow, I had seen that engine on Craigslist and thought it was pretty cool, so I'm glad to see it going into a bronco, are you in foco?

OP
OP
Chrisb95

Chrisb95

Loc.
Laramie
Ya I'm in Colorado Springs, I plan to do a 4bt swap in mine when funds allow, I had seen that engine on Craigslist and thought it was pretty cool, so I'm glad to see it going into a bronco, are you in foco?

No. I'm up in laramie going to school. I'm originally from Denver though...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..ChrisB95 that sound like a cool swap to do..
.. I have the 4BT in my Bronco running the last several years. The Detroit is supposed to be louder than my 4BT And if I'm not sure the Hercules is quieter than my 4BT.
.. Now only thing I heard here as a problem is it being taller than my 4BT ..
... So if it's taller then I'll say you'll need about a 3 inch lift .. If it's an inch shorter than my 4BT then you should be good to go.
... Yes I too have the NP435 behind my 4BT and the T19 would have worked but the 435 is lower 1st geared.
... ALSO ''COOLING'' My 302 ran hot in 20 minutes of use .. I had a new Aluminum RAD .. It is the same radiator I'm using on my 4BT . I do have an electric cooling fan that I run off a toggle switch. I do not even run a motor fan. Just a belt and the Water Pump & the ALT .. BUT no fan..
..... Mileage, Well my Bronco on gas got 4 mpg. Now I do use my Bronco in the fields and pastures slowly ..Farming ...... But I just filled up with diesel last weekend .. I got 12mpg not 20 like you hear ... But Guess what I'd done during this tank of fuel.. I pulled a grain drill in 4x4 locked low range and planted nearly 30 acres of grain and still got 12 that's pretty darn good. The best I've gotten with my 4BT was in a car show cruise I got 23 . Most of that was at about 20 mph.
.... GOOD LUCK........

OP
OP
Chrisb95

Chrisb95

Loc.
Laramie
I've done some rough measuring. I have roughly a 1.5" body lift. I also have a big cowl hood. The highest part of the diesel, the intake, sits right in the middle of that cowl. Hopefully I don't need more of a body lift but I guess we will see.

As for gas mileage, my 22 was a rough estimate. I would be happy with ~18mpg.

As for noise levels, I've read that the hercules is considerably quieter than the 4bt. But Who knows.

PAPPIT- how does the 4bt do without an overdrive? What speed does it seem to like to cruise at on the highway? I know the 4bt is a different engine but I am assuming the powerband should be roughly between the same RPM's.