• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gap Help - Grill to Hood Gap

Uncut1970

I need help. We are putting this box back together and can not figure out what we are missing on the hood to grill alignment.

The front quarter panels are not on yet, but we put the grill and hood on for test-fit and ended up with this; about an inch and a half gap all the way across.

c06ff0e426374f6728cadb1f722736ec.jpg

(That’s just green tape on the bumper*)

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the hood latch engaged and are the edges level with the grill on the ends? I can't tell from the picture. It would also be good to see how your fenders are lining up with the grill.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I wouldn't worry too much until you install the fenders and grill together. By the way, how did it fit before you painted it? Did you mock it up before paint? Ken

OP
OP
Uncut1970

Uncut1970

I wouldn't worry too much until you install the fenders and grill together. By the way, how did it fit before you painted it? Did you mock it up before paint? Ken

This is the only pic I have of the front of it before I purchased it... but in this pic, the whole front clip was being help on by 2 screws on each side... we tore it down from here for transport; not to be reassembled until now.

3b233e7d60b20fe46f5cca90514f7531.jpg

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
It definitely looks wide there but it doesn't appear to be fully latched. It will probably look better once everything is tightened up. I sure hope so cause that's a nice looking truck. Good luck. Ken

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think you will find that your grill right now is not vertical with the hood. The fenders control how the grill is mounted. The hood will be flush with the face of the grill when properly shimmed and the hood will be even with the top. Until it is mounted with the fenders you will not truly know what you end up with. I had to add 2 shims on the passengers side of the hood hinge and one shim on the drivers side to get the hood out flush to the grill and aligned right to the fenders. That's using my original hood and fenders with no factory installed shims. Ford didn't bother with getting it that close. But I wanted it to look right. Never buy a truck made in the Ford plant on the Saturday night shift in 1974.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
You need the fenders on the position grill correctly then it will make more sense and fit better (not great just better)

Tell us more about the orange pinstripe around the grill and hood and maybe a few more pictures.