• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bumper 'supports' factory??

Ict57

'66 u13 that I'm trying to keep realistically stock. It has the eyebrow grille and straight cut bumper, though I have another to replace the existing one with.

My question, what the hell is this?? I assume these ears on bumper are homemade for pulling behind a truck or something. However, it seems somebody went to an awful amount of trouble to cut the body mount and then weld in a. Ice bracket sandwiched between frame rail and body mount. Most of that even looks surprisingly clean, like it was welded NOT via stick welder in a barn, nor did it have the front clip on. Similarly, the cut grille looks awfully clean, factory-esque. But then there are the ears on bumper; they DO appear to have been stickwelded by a 10 year old.

Anyway, I'm curious if this is anything cool or just something that happens a decade before I was born. And assume (?) I should just pull the bumper and buy a stack of grinding disks.

OP
OP
I

Ict57

00b0b_9I5D4dl91O5_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_lGRqDAL9Of4_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_3vmQtSXSfyc_1200x900.jpg

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Previous owner with steel and a welder I'm thinking. Haven't seen that before.

77Bronco636

Looks like it was just "beefed up" for being towed. As far as the grill being cut, does it look like they had a wire harness going through there for lights while being towed?

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
looks like a old school farmer fabbed tow bar mount ,mine had a similar set up by no way factory installed I cut all that extra metal off