• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Help

scotthagg

First time seeking help because the search is difficult
I just replaced my alternator after it was tested and told it was no good. Installed new one and not the problem unlees it is a dud. I replaced the voltage regulator, but there was a MOPAR regulator in the truck and I now have the ford replacement with I A S F prongs(?). I am such an idiot but not afraid to get this figured out. Previous owner replaced all the wiring with centech, but not sure if i was ever getting charge. I drive mostly daytime and then when it would die down, I would just trickle charge the battery. I know, dumb. I checked the field wire fro continuity to the regulator and that was good. The S wire was attached to the IGN on the mopar, so I put it on the I prong for the ford replacement. The car starts and runs just fine, but no charge. Please help me find the ghost. All connections and grounds look good. The only wires from alternator are the Field and the large alternator wire which goes in to the cab and I cannot find where it terminates. Dont seem to have anything from the batter itself. Checked the alternator fuse and it was bad, replaced it and still no charge. Something just seems to be missing in the loop. Thanks for any advice and please feel free to call me an idiot. I have been disconnecting the battery anytime I check it though.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Are you running a voltage meter or ammeter. The black /yellow should terminate at the battery with an ammeter otherwise you should have a larger wire from the alt. to the battery /solenoid.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
First time seeking help because the search is difficult
I just replaced my alternator after it was tested and told it was no good. Installed new one and not the problem unlees it is a dud. I replaced the voltage regulator, but there was a MOPAR regulator in the truck and I now have the ford replacement with I A S F prongs(?). I am such an idiot but not afraid to get this figured out. Previous owner replaced all the wiring with centech, but not sure if i was ever getting charge. I drive mostly daytime and then when it would die down, I would just trickle charge the battery. I know, dumb. I checked the field wire fro continuity to the regulator and that was good. The S wire was attached to the IGN on the mopar, so I put it on the I prong for the ford replacement. The car starts and runs just fine, but no charge. Please help me find the ghost. All connections and grounds look good. The only wires from alternator are the Field and the large alternator wire which goes in to the cab and I cannot find where it terminates. Dont seem to have anything from the batter itself. Checked the alternator fuse and it was bad, replaced it and still no charge. Something just seems to be missing in the loop. Thanks for any advice and please feel free to call me an idiot. I have been disconnecting the battery anytime I check it though.

You need constant 12V on A and switched 12V on S. F goes to field on alternator. The 10g output wire on the alternator should have constant 12V. If it doesn't, check the plug near the ammeter loop.

Oh, and disconnect the battery while you hookup wires to the regulator or you can fry it.

Attachments

• alt-reg.jpg
    alt-reg.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 35

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And to continue that thought, you do not use the I connector on a Ford with an ammeter (like all Early Broncos and some full-size trucks). This messes up even pros that have only seen regular cars and trucks that use all four contacts on the regulator. Just go by the diagram Viper posted and you'll be good.

Good luck. And welcome to classicbroncos too.

Paul

OP
OP
S

scotthagg

Thanks so much. I Will be looking at it this weekend. I also just went back to the Centech instructions and will just try to get this thing back to the way it should. The wiring job is decent, but was never set up properly for the alternator apparently. Also wondering if the alt could just be a dud...,ight have to take it back and get it tested.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
For us to really help you, we need to know EVERYTHING about your eB, and we need to see it with EACH of your posts. Look at jim's, ViperWolf's, & DirtDonk's signatures, and try to put MORE info in your sig. Details matter.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I installed the Centech. The instructions are very good regarding installing the stock voltage regulator and alternator. Just look at the wire colors, and the labels on the wires. It was very clear, but you had to push the wires into the voltage regulator connector. The PO could have pushed the wires into the wrong slots on the connector. You will have some slots in the connector for the voltage regulator that are empty.