• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Iowa city, IA offroading?

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I have done a little research on the area and I am really not coming up with much for places to go wheeling. Is that true? There is potential we will be residing there in the next couple of years. So I am wondering if anyone has any intel on the wheeling. Or perhaps it's time to get all my suspension mods done??

Once our move is locked down tighter than it is now, I may also pick your collective brains on other things (like places to live, schools, etc). But for now, the important subject of wheeling!!

Thanks!

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I did run across MIOBI, but requires a membership. Not ideal, but if that is all there is...

Found another group that has access to a ranch, but again, requires a membership. I think it was near Des Moines.

I agree that a lot of those are not for full-size rigs.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I was spoiled growing up in CO and having access to hundreds of trails. So realizing I may only have access to one 800 acre ranch is disheartening. It's great to have access to three parks here within 4hrs, but since CO, it's been a slow downward progression of available trails. Such is life. And I will certainly become a member of whatever gets me the best options, but I doubt I can justify more than one membership.

I'd love to know what Bronco folks live in the area too and would like to kick tires over a few cold brews now and then!

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
When I was growing up the 'Lakeview' OHV was called 600 acres. You're going to be disappointed. It's fine for what and where it is, but it's essentially going to be like riding your bronco around a largish MX track.

That said, I haven't been in 20+ years, maybe it's awesome now.

What you'll miss most is "destination" rides where the road to the destination is off road. You won't be driving all day to Ouray to ride trails in the mountains. You won't be making long treks up to fire stations.

Perhaps you like mud though and you can just drive around your front yard after a good rain. ;)

I was spoiled growing up in CO and having access to hundreds of trails. So realizing I may only have access to one 800 acre ranch is disheartening. It's great to have access to three parks here within 4hrs, but since CO, it's been a slow downward progression of available trails. Such is life. And I will certainly become a member of whatever gets me the best options, but I doubt I can justify more than one membership.

I'd love to know what Bronco folks live in the area too and would like to kick tires over a few cold brews now and then!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
When I was growing up the 'Lakeview' OHV was called 600 acres. You're going to be disappointed. It's fine for what and where it is, but it's essentially going to be like riding your bronco around a largish MX track.

That said, I haven't been in 20+ years, maybe it's awesome now.

What you'll miss most is "destination" rides where the road to the destination is off road. You won't be driving all day to Ouray to ride trails in the mountains. You won't be making long treks up to fire stations.

Perhaps you like mud though and you can just drive around your front yard after a good rain. ;)

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I've not lived in CO since 2009, and spent 3 yrs in TX prior to that, which once I dug in, has quite a few parks. I just had to get used to paying to play. Here, I have reasonable access to a few good parks.

Mud - ACK!!