• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb Issues - Advice Needed -

BruiserOutdoors

Bronco has a tough time starting, requires starting fluid on cold starts. Carb stumbles bad on acceleration. Any ideas or tips/tricks? Timing off? Vacuum problems? or ??

Trying to get this fixed in the next few nights so I can make it to the Northwest bronco roundup.

Carb is a Motorcraft D6TE 2 barrel. Just replaced the accelerator pump with no change.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you getting a good shot of fuel from the accelerator pump, just look down the barrels with the engine off and work the throttle by hand. You should see two streams of fuel as soon as you move the throttle.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Verify Timing. Vacuum advance or mechanical - verify timing advance. Check floats and make sure the bowls aren't flooding or empty.

77RHINO

Are your fuel lines in good shape? I had a kink and a split in the line where it connected at the rear tank, on the tank side of the line. Looked fine from visual inspection, but that part was hidden, until I grabbed the line and felt the split. This caused me to lose prime every night, and would starve on heavy throttle as well. I also had a split line over by the rollover valve on pass frame rail, contributing to my issues. Fuel filter condition and proper orientation are items to check as well.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Cold start---follow adjustment procedure for choke.

Stumbles on acceleration...pull a spark plug and post a pic.