• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jake Good's Bronco Rebuild

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Also I snapped a quick picture of the support under the bed and the crossmember that I modified to allow the full 6" of uptravel I wanted. With the new links and mounting locations the axle had a little more added WB at full compression than it did during mock up. The axle just barely touched the crossmember at full bump so I figured I better give it atleast a good 1/4" of wiggle room!

attachment.php

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Shock mounts are close to done. I still need to build a crossbrace in between the towers. It will be temporary for now until the new cage is built.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
hells yeah.... I may need to come see that in person brother.. lol ;D

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
The lower shock mounts will function very well, I just didn't get the "flair" into them that I would have liked to have. Oh well function before form! Any ideas on how to dress those up at all? I will still tweak on them down the road but I'll see if they grab rocks as bad as I think they will.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I wasn't sure what I was goignt o do for a seal on the axle. This is what I ended up running. It is a Gold Allstar brand seal. I used the belt sander to take the lip off of the aluminum housing so it will slip completly into the tube. I wanted the seal on the out side of the housing for two reasons. One to keep the fluid from running out of the portal and second to allow more capacity for the thirdmember. Hopefully a larger quantity of cooler fluid will keep the upsidedown pinions bearing living longer.

attachment.php
[/quote]

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Well the front axle was supposed to be a quick swap to the 8 lug chevy outers but that hasn't really gone according to plan. The U-joints were really loose in the front axle shafts. So I finally bit the bullet and ordered some chromoly for the front from Chase at East Coast Gear. I had the custom splined shafts in under a week from the phone call. Very impressive! However the stubs that I ordered were drop shipped from 10-factory and were supposed to be 30 spline. What I recieved were 35 spline stubs. Well I know I need them... so they will stay now as well. Now to buy new Drive flanges.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This brought up an issue I had when I first built the 609 for the front. The seals in the front were only big enough for the splines to get through. The larger Dia seal area of the axle shaft wouldn't fit. My solution at the time was to take the axle shafts to a local machine shop and turn down the seal surface. I was told at the time it was due to the factory shaft being a larger diameter than the 4340 shafts that spidertrax used. So I figured the new shafts would fit right in. Wrong. Same issue and the inner ten factory shafts are much larger diameter than the factory shafts by the way. My solution this time was a bit more expensive but will solve it for good I hope.

Not very impressive for most here but I was really excited to actually be able to do some of my own machine work. I had been watching craiglslist for an older 110/220v lathe but hadn't seen anything in my price range. So I picked up the Harbor Freight Mini Lathe. It should be fine for making all the little stuff I need. Like spacers and such.

I machined the lip off of the second rear seal and then opened up the ID on the front seals for the shaft to fit through.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

dieselbronco

Loc.
Tolland CT
I got ultimate adventure 2011 for christmas. I hope that your bronco with all this new stuff is in the next movie also. Keep up the unique fab ideas.

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
I got the disk brake brackets made for the portal boxes and the rear stub axle are painted and ready to install.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last item to finish on the rear axle was the brake and vent lines. Made a couple of little tabs for the hoses.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Plus the sweet RCV double splined shafts showed up too! Their Quality and Customer service is incredible!

attachment.php

attachment.php

dieselbronco

Loc.
Tolland CT
I'm sure this rig doesn't see much highway use, but if it did how well do you think the upside-down pumpkin would last? Maybe just run lots of extra oil?

I like the idea though. It's the best of both worlds, high axle tube and high pinion

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
The pinion support is an aftermarket Currie unit that has the larger bearings. It has also been modified for use upside down. I really don't expect to see any problems out of the pinion bearings. I could have also built an oil slinger to catch oil from the ring gear but I really didn't feel it was neccessary. I will definatley keep everyone updated if I ever have any issues with it though!

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
After that it was time to tackle the gas tank. I had intentions of building a complete new tank, but to save some time I reused the old sheet metal. The only thing original from the 23 gallon tank are the sides and top at this point. 4" of the front got cut off years ago when I stretched the wheelbase. I wheeled with out a skid plate for a couple of years and it shows in the condition of the tank.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Capacity should now be about 14 gallons.

A quick picture of my garage helper. Caleb is now 6 years old. His brother is 9 and no longer thinks it's cool to hang out with dad in the garage.

attachment.php

Also bought a fuel safe gasket to use for an access hole to install the pick-ups. Made a cover out of some 1/8 aluminum.

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Here is what I did for the pick-ups. I used the Walbro pick-ups. With the 20 gallon tank I usually only ran 10 gal and it would lose fuel to the pick up line when I would attempt some awesome line..

Just a little tab to hold everything in place. The hard line and the edges of the tank will do the rest.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
I

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Here is the new skid. It's 11 gauge sheet steel. With the tank being tucked up in the frame rails better it shouldn't see much abuse. Who I am kidding. It's still me driving so I am sure I'll find plenty of rocks to drag it across.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lower control arms should be here today so those and the shocks will go on tonight. With it painted black it's really hard to take decent pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php