• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sunroof Removal

jawilson20

Looking at buying a Bronco that had a sunroof cut into the hardtop at some point. The hardtop has been painted with new rubber on the glass - looks very good with exception of the stupid sunroof.

Question I have is, how feasible would it be to have someone fabricate a patch into the hole and repaint. Seems like it would be doable, but would like to understand how easy and expensive this may be to get done should I go ahead with the purchase.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Well I had a situation that was similar... except mine leaked. It came used, like it was pulled from a wreaking yard?

The hole was poorly cut and I ended up putting a new sun roof in that barely fit, but it worked.

So yes a patch panel could be made and welded in. Tedious work because you have to finish both sides, welding it in slowly so as not to warp the hardtop metal. Probably would need to use filler on both sides. maybe consider spraying the inside with say raptor liner... covers some imperfections, thickens the metal some to help prevent canning, some insulating properties.

But the big question would be labor and materials. I can easily see it getting into the $500 - $1000 + range. Not work you would do while the top is on the Bronco.

To me it would be something to live with, while looking to buy a Hardtop that is for sale without holes. Then selling yours to recoup some of the expense.

OP
OP
J

jawilson20

Well I had a situation that was similar... except mine leaked. It came used, like it was pulled from a wreaking yard?

The hole was poorly cut and I ended up putting a new sun roof in that barely fit, but it worked.

So yes a patch panel could be made and welded in. Tedious work because you have to finish both sides, welding it in slowly so as not to warp the hardtop metal. Probably would need to use filler on both sides. maybe consider spraying the inside with say raptor liner... covers some imperfections, thickens the metal some to help prevent canning, some insulating properties.

But the big question would be labor and materials. I can easily see it getting into the $500 - $1000 + range. Not work you would do while the top is on the Bronco.

To me it would be something to live with, while looking to buy a Hardtop that is for sale without holes. Then selling yours to recoup some of the expense.

Thanks for the insight. This Bronco looks to be pretty well sorted otherwise.

Do you have a sense as to what the market on a used top is? Assume that I would acquire one in need of reconditioning and paint.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Hard tops used to be a dime a dozen. Now that Broncos have become more fashionable, the prices have increased.
You can find them in the $500 range for something that needs work... Probably looking at $1000 for something nice. I bought a nice top for $750 2 years ago. It needed a lot of cleaning and fresh glass seals, but was good.

The caulking in the drip rail can fail and start leaking, window seals are easy to do. A lot of tops the support bows for the roof have separated from age. They can be re-bonded.
The rear hatch may or may not come with a key, but that can be addressed by a good locksmith. And it can be re-keyed to your glove box key.

There is also an early top and latter. They interchange but are different. Bolt pattern for the windshield are different, which requires redrilling of the holes, either in the top or the windshield frame. (Two of the outer holes line up on both)
The side holes are the same. Latter tops have a deeper stake (remove able) that fits into the rear hole. A lot of these have been removed over the years... Latter tops have a anti-rattle device in place on the tailgate.
And then there is a change on how the tops seal at the rear. Look on any of the Vendors sites and you can see the different part# for the years.

I know more that you wanted to know... If I missed anything, others pls chime in.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
A used steel top is not usually too hard to find. If you are near Philadelphia DelcoNick is a member here and he has them. Someone might even give you one if it was in there way!

When it comes to fixing your existing top it really should be tig welded because it is so thin and such a large flat area to reduce warp. If it was mine I would fix it just because my time is free and I have the skill. If I was paying someone I would buy a nice rust free top and have it painted before trying to repair yours. The end product will be nicer looking and stay looking longer.

But if it looks nice and does not leak I would buy it and drive it until it gave me problems which could be years!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You can buy new replacement steel skin for the top. That will move all the welding outside of the warp prone center. If it was mine I would flange the edge of the hole then cut a piece of sheet metal from a big van with a low crown roof and set it on the flange and spot weld it in place. Then regular body work to finish.

Buying a good used top is the best way out of your problem if you have to pay someone to do the body work. Just use 3 strong guys to remove the fully glassed steel top. Its awkward and much heavier than they look. Be careful the rear hatch doesnt open on you when your man handling it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-punch-flange-tool-1110.html

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Like Rusty said the best way would be to put a new skin on the top. Not a bad job. My second option I would use if I wanted to patch it would be to flange it as well but I would use panel adhesive and wouldn't have to worry about warpage. I have used the adhesives and they work well. Ken

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I agree the panel adhesive would be a great option in this application. I just keep grabbing the old way to do things. Maybe because I am old and that has something to do with it. And I work with urethane and epoxy adhesives every day for the last 25 years.

Vintagetin

There are a lot of vehicles with roof's that have a similar crown (as rustytruck mentioned). There's no reason to search for a patch panel from another bronco roof skin. It's a pretty easy fix but it's still going to run around $1000 by the time a shop is finished.