• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thumbs up to Tuffy Box tech support and my wife

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had a seriously bad issue today installing a Tuffy box glove box. I had it powdercoated but made sure none of the parts that moved were effected, or so I thought. Before I bolted it into the dash I ensured it worked flawlessly. After I bolted the box in, i shut the door, and it locked perfectly, then tried to open it.

Nothing.

I mean, the thing won't open no matter what I do.

YHGTBKM.

JIggle, coax, hit, pry, nothing.

Now I'm thinking great, I have a tuffy box in my new powdercoated dash locked closed and no way to get it open, or unbolt it cause those are inside, right!

I call tech support and they talk me into trying different positions and it unlocks but won't budge. He says get and extra set of hands and try again.

Enter wife of 30 plus years of faithful service, she is more than willing to help get this out of our living room. She holds onto the backside of the dash and before I do anything says "have you tried putting your hand in the big hole here on the side"?

Yes, the big hole I cut to install the fuse panel, but forgot. Insert hand, unlatch lock, it opens.

My issue was, the powder coat also went around the latch pin that the door lock goes around, just enough to prevent it from unlatching. 30 seconds of sanding, latch works fine, Box works great.

I had a serious case of stupid today and the wife and Tuffy tech saved my bacon.

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
My wife points out my stupidity so much she's a regular call when I get stuck in the kitchen or garage. Gotta love em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk