• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replace fender or OEM

Stock Farm

Curious how the aftermarket fenders fit.
Mine are not great, but if aftermarket do not fit well I can save the ones I have.

So, what's the option fix OEM (a lot of work - but doable) or just get aftermarket?

Same question for quarters?
Thanks

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think it's better to save OEM metal. My experience with aftermarket sheet metal it that it's thinner and need lots of fitment persuasion. The front fenders on a half cab I recently sold did not meet the curve of hood exactly. Not too bad but just enough to bother me! A repop fender for my 84 full size Bronco was even worse. I would stay with OEM whenever possible. I have had better luck with the rear quarters for fitment but they are still thinner than OEM and they warped when I cut them for rear flares.

I've found the fiberglass fenders from Bronco Design are much better fitting than the Chinese steel ones.

Broncomt

I'm currently refurbishing my front fenders for my '70. What I've been reading about the repops made my decision for me. Some of the pics posted here were pretty bad. Gives me an excuse to learn some body work.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used replacement fenders. They both needed a slight amount of work, but they weren't too bad. But I've seen some horror stories here. If your originals are in ok shape, use them.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It depends what repairing origionals really mean. Side impacts or dents ok easy fix. Rust out holes can be patched. But a good hard impact on the front end where the fender was pushed back and now comes up short in length is so much harder to fix. Trying to bring the last 1/2" of fender length back can be really hard to do. Grill wont fit right untill you get the fender length back to where it belongs. Thats when I would consider replacing the fender. Of course by then you will have so much time in it you don't want to even consider replacing it.