• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Explorer Swap - Satisfied?

matt w

Bronco Guru
i did the explorer 5.0 with efi/obdii about 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. I came from a stock 302 2bbl, about 125hp. Now this stock 5.0 is running about 210 hp, what a difference! Mines a daily driver/trail truck. I do desert, rocks, and forest roads. I run 35" tires with 4.56 gearing. This combo works great for me.

Mark

totally jealous!😜👍✌️🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

matt w

Bronco Guru
I'm more and more convinced there is a problem with my 351w. EFI, C4, 4.11, and 33x12.50, just doesn't really throw me back in the seat.

My buddy has a 351 with 33's and a 5 speed. That thing gets up
And rocks! I have a stock 302 and I'm so jealous of his power! I can't imagine your not getting some power out of your set up.

BroncoChicken

search for explorer swap and fitech on the forum and you'll find all the support you need for the explorer EFI swap.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVlBAOTF_I

This is my 302 roller motor. Nice cam with great low end torque. Makes about 335 lb ft at the hit and over 390 lb ft at 3500 rpms. HP is in the 380 range. I have added a nice aluminum radiator and some other items under the hood since this original start-up video. Lots of clean up and painting has been done and disk brakes are being done. It does have a 2400 stall converter for the C4 which works out great. It will lift the fronts off the ground off the line if you want to do that sort of thing.... I just like the overall performance and driveability of the 302 while still getting in the 14-15 mpg with the Quick Flow (680cfm) carb over the old worn out 302 that was lucky to give me 8-10 mpg on the same premium pump gas. It has Dart Pro-1 heads and long tube headers that breathe great.

matt w

Bronco Guru
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVlBAOTF_I

This is my 302 roller motor. Nice cam with great low end torque. Makes about 335 lb ft at the hit and over 390 lb ft at 3500 rpms. HP is in the 380 range. I have added a nice aluminum radiator and some other items under the hood since this original start-up video. Lots of clean up and painting has been done and disk brakes are being done. It does have a 2400 stall converter for the C4 which works out great. It will lift the fronts off the ground off the line if you want to do that sort of thing.... I just like the overall performance and driveability of the 302 while still getting in the 14-15 mpg with the Quick Flow (680cfm) carb over the old worn out 302 that was lucky to give me 8-10 mpg on the same premium pump gas. It has Dart Pro-1 heads and long tube headers that breathe great.
Man oh man that thing sounds so so awesome and it does sound like it would get up and go! I wonder how that engine would do on slow rock crawling type trails BECIAAE I LOVE THAT! If you don't mind me asking. What does something like that cost!? Ha I'm in DESPERATE NEED OF POWER! Ha

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would say 351W all day, the low end power is just so addicting. Take any 302 power figures and pump them up with the same exact parts -

As for intakes - I've run the adapter and it chokes power, buy the Typhoon 351W intakes off of Amazon/eBay/Corral and enjoy the power. Or buy the genuine Edlebrock stuff if you care - VERY noticeable power different with those intakes over the truck lower and car upper.

I've run the 351W with the Mustang injection and Explorer front dress and it works great. I've also run the 351W with FiTech and have had excellent results with that too - FiTech can handle the more radical cams profiles and allows you to view and tune any setting on the fly with the handheld, its super nice.

You know you are doing something right when the GM guys are asking questions about the motor in your Bronco - it's just a small block :D