• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote build questions

dclark64

Hi Guys! I am at the embryo stage of a coyote build and need some answers or opinions. My 1970 Bronco will be driven mostly on the street with the occasional off road excursion. Nothing too grueling off road. 35" tires is the plan. Coyote engine with 6 speed AOD transmission. First question, should I bother running the dana 20 transfer case or will I regret it in the long run? Also, because of the limited 4 wheeling, should I beef up my Dana 30 front or will I regret that down the road and end up replacing it anyways? Planning on keeping it for a while, so, want to do it right. Thanks in advance!!

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Hi Guys! I am at the embryo stage of a coyote build and need some answers or opinions. My 1970 Bronco will be driven mostly on the street with the occasional off road excursion. Nothing too grueling off road. 35" tires is the plan. Coyote engine with 6 speed AOD transmission. First question, should I bother running the dana 20 transfer case or will I regret it in the long run? Also, because of the limited 4 wheeling, should I beef up my Dana 30 front or will I regret that down the road and end up replacing it anyways? Planning on keeping it for a while, so, want to do it right. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the herd. What's an Atlas and a Dana 44 when you are doing a Coyote? It's the icing on the cake or the Coyote could be the icing. Not sure but a 30 and a 20 on a nice build just does not make scene to me.:cool: Will you regret it down the road? Yes, just my .02

Good luck on the build.

Jim

Last edited:

Jamie Chriss

Clark welcome to the heard! If you have any doubts replace it, if you do the math most likely your Dana 20 needs to be rebuilt and beefed up a bit, that's $1300. With the OD trans you will need an adapter, etc. I think the jury is out if the Dana 20 can even handle the HP over time. I just purchased the Atlas, adapter and other parts needed, delivered it was around $3k. Also if you are planning on 35's you would want to go with 4.88 gears at the rear. The Coyote likes to run at a higher RPM, with the OD trans the gears will become a factor.

OP
OP
D

dclark64

Thanks for the advice. Love the Wild Horses web site! I don't see that you guys sell complete DANA 44 fronts, do you have any advice as to who would be best to purchase from? I've been looking for a takeout with no luck. Thanks!

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Thanks for the advice. Love the Wild Horses web site! I don't see that you guys sell complete DANA 44 fronts, do you have any advice as to who would be best to purchase from? I've been looking for a takeout with no luck. Thanks!

I'm old school (talk better than type) so I will PM some contact info. No problem on the complete 44.

Jim

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you are dropping dime, might as well do as they, do it right, D44, Atlas, coyote, locking diffs, disc brakes, etc

STalon89

Find a dana 44 and do disc brakes. I will be buying an atlas in my future for mine, but if you want to make the dana 20 work, you'll need the HD output from wildhorses. Im patiently waiting for the coyote to explode my dana 20