• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TBP - steering geer sh-t(box)

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
bought a
steering box
starter
alternator
from Napa, Autozone
guess what had to return them because they didn't work;)
there is no supplier that checks what they receive in from manufactures for fit, form and function.
Now if Toms said a brand new FORD Bronco steering box I might be a little upset. when you get into conversions all bets are off

"there is no supplier that checks what they receive in from manufactures for fit, form and function.''

Venders please respond. You guys (venders) are way above this statement!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Venders please respond. You guys (venders) are way above this statement!

It sucks you had an issue. I can understand the frustration, but it sounds like you have already gotten your response. If I understand correctly it sounds like TBP offered to cover your expenses 100% with store credit or within $50 if you wanted cash. I think most parts places would tell you to go F yourself these days if you call them 7 years later.

I doubt you are going to get any vendors jumping in line to comment here. No reason to chuck themselves under the bus. It can be frustrating to not be able to compare apples to apples sometimes as most vendors are vague with their descriptions. I am betting they have to. If they all provided their source and part number the majority of people would just buy it on Amazon for within a few bucks of what they pay for it. Not a very good business model. As for QC well remember the Bronco vendors are resellers, not manufacturers. They depend on the manufacturer or rebuilder to perform QC hence why they offer a warranty.

I know of at least 2 Bronco vendors that leave you on your own to deal with the manufacturer if you have an issue, no support whatsoever. I can tell you that TBP is not one of them.

So, are you saying you were expecting to get a brand new original Ford/Saginaw Bronco steering box for $795.00? Afaik most all of the vendors sell a Delphi box sourced from Borgeson. Borgeson is who has them made or rebuilds them and drills them for the Bronco pattern. As mentioned just because the casting lists it for a grand cherokee doesn't mean it won't work on a bronco. I am running the delphi box from a Nissan Frontier with the Grand Cherokee sector shaft and other than a little massaging of the mounting holes bolted right in and works perfectly. I am in no way hung up that it came off of a Nissan and a Jeep.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Well, I just hope you're not of that certain group always bitchin that there is way too much regulation and control in our society, then want more regulation and control of certain parts you happen to want to purchase, or, the certain group bitchin about the cost of things made in the U.S. and then buying imported parts online.

And another thing..........oh never mind

I'm glad TBP is there for me and others.

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
It sucks you had an issue. I can understand the frustration, but it sounds like you have already gotten your response. If I understand correctly it sounds like TBP offered to cover your expenses 100% with store credit or within $50 if you wanted cash. I think most parts places would tell you to go F yourself these days if you call them 7 years later.

I doubt you are going to get any vendors jumping in line to comment here. No reason to chuck themselves under the bus. It can be frustrating to not be able to compare apples to apples sometimes as most vendors are vague with their descriptions. I am betting they have to. If they all provided their source and part number the majority of people would just buy it on Amazon for within a few bucks of what they pay for it. Not a very good business model. As for QC well remember the Bronco vendors are resellers, not manufacturers. They depend on the manufacturer or rebuilder to perform QC hence why they offer a warranty.

I know of at least 2 Bronco vendors that leave you on your own to deal with the manufacturer if you have an issue, no support whatsoever. I can tell you that TBP is not one of them.

So, are you saying you were expecting to get a brand new original Ford/Saginaw Bronco steering box for $795.00? Afaik most all of the vendors sell a Delphi box sourced from Borgeson. Borgeson is who has them made or rebuilds them and drills them for the Bronco pattern. As mentioned just because the casting lists it for a grand cherokee doesn't mean it won't work on a bronco. I am running the delphi box from a Nissan Frontier with the Grand Cherokee sector shaft and other than a little massaging of the mounting holes bolted right in and works perfectly. I am in no way hung up that it came off of a Nissan and a Jeep.

Well, I just hope you're not of that certain group always bitchin that there is way too much regulation and control in our society, then want more regulation and control of certain parts you happen to want to purchase, or, the certain group bitchin about the cost of things made in the U.S. and then buying imported parts online.

I'm not bad mouthing TBP. They know my buying history. I will buy more things from TBP if needed. I was looking at one product (steering box I bought) from a 2011 catalog. TBP has updated this information as someone pointed out earlier. That's good. However, I bought back when that information was not included. It's all fine. ;D;D;D

EarlyBronc74

Loc.
Central Texas
Let me chime in on this real quick from a Retailer standpoint.

Toms Bronco either receives this part directly from the manufacturer or from a Wholesale Distributor. These two companies would be considered the "Vendor". Toms Bronco is the "Retailer"

What you are asking is for either the Vendor/Manufacturer to respond to this thread but is the whole point of them being what they are. It is the Retailers job to take care of the issue unless otherwise noted on the part.

From a retailers point of view, if a customer calls with an issue the first thing they would do is collect your data and then start the customer service resolution. Sometimes they have to speak to vendors that may not respond in a timely manner. Sometimes the retailers know this and try to solve the issue for the customer first then take it up with the vendor.

In your case, it seems like TBP tried to take care of you. Had you called them first before sending it off for repair maybe the situation could have been dealt with. But come on man 6 years later?

Here is an example of the flow of distribution for reference.

Have good day.

Dv6Xthc.jpg

Projp

First, with all due respect to anyone I offend, dude , I'm 67, my father was a ford (sad) mechanic most of his life.
TBP probably gets lots of crap boxes. That's my point. They don't inspect them. Or I wood not have received the piece of ……...ohhh..crap that I did. Lonnie needs to put some hands on his products to check out the quality!!!

How old are you really?
No one our age uses the word Dude.;D;D

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Let me chime in on this real quick from a Retailer standpoint.

Toms Bronco either receives this part directly from the manufacturer or from a Wholesale Distributor. These two companies would be considered the "Vendor". Toms Bronco is the "Retailer"

What you are asking is for either the Vendor/Manufacturer to respond to this thread but is the whole point of them being what they are. It is the Retailers job to take care of the issue unless otherwise noted on the part.

From a retailers point of view, if a customer calls with an issue the first thing they would do is collect your data and then start the customer service resolution. Sometimes they have to speak to vendors that may not respond in a timely manner. Sometimes the retailers know this and try to solve the issue for the customer first then take it up with the vendor.

In your case, it seems like TBP tried to take care of you. Had you called them first before sending it off for repair maybe the situation could have been dealt with. But come on man 6 years later?

Here is an example of the flow of distribution for reference.

Have good day.

Dv6Xthc.jpg

This thread kind of went side ways maybe. The intent - To show the lack of enough information or possible miss information on a product from a catalog from the year 2011. That product's description has been updated. I would not have bought the product had I haven the full information as now provided. That simple.

Now, how I handled the repair/update was the quickest/best way for me to get the product I wanted.
Went driving today after repair. Nice. Can't drive while you're returning products. Going driving tonight.;D;D;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
This thread kind of went side ways maybe. The intent - To show the lack of enough information or possible miss information on a product from a catalog from the year 2011. That product's description has been updated. I would not have bought the product had I haven the full information as now provided. That simple.

Now, how I handled the repair/update was the quickest/best way for me to get the product I wanted.
Went driving today after repair. Nice. Can't drive while you're returning products. Going driving tonight.;D;D;D

nah the quickest way would have been put it on 7 years ago;D

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
nah the quickest way would have been put it on 7 years ago;D

Just got back from aa short drive. Enjoyed the high dollar LED head lights, from TBPs (speacker).;D And Abbey Road.

Like many on here, one 'new' part to the system depends/connects to another part not yet installed. In my case, my engine builder installed A/C compressor, steering pump, high out put alternator. Now the key part. At time of installation/this coming together, I had to fit in a hydro boost, I had remanufactured, from a 78 Mark V.

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
For the 17 years I've been a member on this sight this is the first time I've heard someone calling out "dicks" in a good way...…….not saying you meant it to be offensive or not but probably not taken well by most. Just my opinion.

I bought the quick ratio box from TBP back in '02. Tight as the day I installed it in 2002.

I think I'm with most here and siding with TBP on this one. Actually surprised that they offered anything. They don't have the "bad" or "miss-represented" steering box to send back to their supplier (after six or seven years) and that's most likely where the responsibility falls (supplier).

If you take the cash you're out $50.00, TBP is out $450.00 and the supplier, who is most likely responsible, is out $0.

Looking at it this way, TBP gets the worst of the deal on top of getting bashed on this site. Sorry I know you keep saying you're not bashing them, but when you use terms like f--Lonnie and such, it's really hard to take your post seriously.

just my 2 cents.....

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
For the 17 years I've been a member on this sight this is the first time I've heard someone calling out "dicks" in a good way...…….not saying you meant it to be offensive or not but probably not taken well by most. Just my opinion.

I bought the quick ratio box from TBP back in '02. Tight as the day I installed it in 2002.

I think I'm with most here and siding with TBP on this one. Actually surprised that they offered anything. They don't have the "bad" or "miss-represented" steering box to send back to their supplier (after six or seven years) and that's most likely where the responsibility falls (supplier).

If you take the cash you're out $50.00, TBP is out $450.00 and the supplier, who is most likely responsible, is out $0.

Looking at it this way, TBP gets the worst of the deal on top of getting bashed on this site. Sorry I know you keep saying you're not bashing them, but when you use terms like f--Lonnie and such, it's really hard to take your post seriously.

just my 2 cents.....

Happy for you.;) Did you know at the time what you bought? Thought I did. But, over and done. Not enough information in the 2011 catalog. It.s over now.

I apologize to you, Lonnie.;)

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA

Lonnie at TBPs knows my buying history at their site/store. I, like many on here, have replaced/updated or rebuilt some or most of an 'old' or worn/abused Bronco. TBPs had a big part in this by my choice. I wouldn't want to go back and change things. ….OOOPS .. Yes the steering box.:-X That is just a fact in the past and move on.;D;D;D