• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TBP - steering geer sh-t(box)

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
But why are these 'new' boxes being sent back and forth. CAN'T TTHE VENDER CHECK IT OUT. Maybe send out three or four boxes and you find one that works. Here is a concept, Why don't the venders check them first. This thread would be avoided.

You may have gotten that “one out of a hundred”. I’ve never heard of these boxes having issues right off the shelf, no one has ever raised this issue. It’s certainly possible for anyone of them to be bad. It’s such an isolated event, there’s no reason to test new boxes off the shelf. I’d be surprised if TBP’s supplier didn’t have some type of QC. That’s usually enough for eliminating these issues, but it looks like one got past them. Unfortunately for everyone involved, you handled it wrong.

Mark

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
You’re reading comprehension is as bad as your grammar. Per your posts, you didn’t try to exchange it at all. You jumped straight to having it rebuilt by someone else. If you had really done your research, you’d know you can buy a used box and send it off to be rebuilt for less than you paid for a new one. Especially a new one that you decided to pay to rebuild instead of giving TBP a chance to exchange it. The money you lost is on you, an idiot tax. We all pay them sometimes, we just don’t all act like a child when we do.

Dude , I bought the box way back in 2011. Just installed last year. Yes, I could have gone the return rout but I didn't. I had it rebuilt by Red Head. The box was really loose. In TBP's catalog, from 2011, uses two terms. rebuilt box and new box. Now, my new box was sloppy as hell and had a cracked top. I wanted it fixed right. I had no intention of calling TBP until I found out it was from a 99-04 Grand Cherokee. Had it been sold under that name, I could have made a different choice. Is this a delfi box?

A right drive Grand Cherokee at that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
I think you'll get it if I say truth in labeling. I was expecting a Bronco steering box from a Bronco vender. That's what didn't happen. If you buy disc brakes, they are labeled chevy or what ever.
In this situation the steering box was misrepresented. Get it now.

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
If this is what you bought, it’s labeled as “Power Steering Conversion Box“.

Mark

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/power-steering-conversion-box-66-77-ford-bronco

You are very correct in what you are showing me. That is a newer listing (newer than 2014) than what I read and bought. Right now I'm looking at TBP's 2014 catalog, and it says -power steering box only
new replacement close-ratio steering box w/u-joint coupler

If you ordered this, would you expect getting a 99-04 Grand Cherokee right hand drive box. TBP 2014 catalog number 4610 is correct. Are we all getting that steering box as new. Or does the supplier deviate? Any box that fits.

Remember - I received the right hand drive Grand Cherokee box, not expecting that information from RED Head. It should have been upfront from TBP.
I would venture to say TBP has no clue what (brand) is in each box.

Last edited:

price209

Loc.
Folsom
I think you are making an even better argument for how good TBP customer service is, and why you should be thanking them not cursing them. I wouldnt think any business would do half as much as TBP offered to do to make the situation right after you were sitting on a part for 7 years before you discovered the issue. They easily could have told you sorry, but warranty and exchange window is up have a nice day.

And if you think any company out there is making a "new" steering box specifically for our broncos I would venture to say you are losing it. Of course the gear box is from another newer vehicle adapted to fit our rigs. Back in 2011 when you bought it, it is very likely the box could have been new only being 7 years outside the production years for the Cherokee. Now that model heep is old enough that the manufacturers are no longer by law required to make "new" replacement parts so you can only get remans.

Sorry you got a bad part, but how can you be upset with TBP for not inspecting your part when YOU didnt inspect it for 7 years and it wasnt until presumably after you installed it that you discovered it was faulty.

Take your refund or store credit, buy some nice and shiny stuff for your rig, and be glad we have vendors that do so much to keep us and our Broncos happy.

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
I think you are making an even better argument for how good TBP customer service is, and why you should be thanking them not cursing them. I wouldnt think any business would do half as much as TBP offered to do to make the situation right after you were sitting on a part for 7 years before you discovered the issue. They easily could have told you sorry, but warranty and exchange window is up have a nice day.

And if you think any company out there is making a "new" steering box specifically for our broncos I would venture to say you are losing it. Of course the gear box is from another newer vehicle adapted to fit our rigs. Back in 2011 when you bought it, it is very likely the box could have been new only being 7 years outside the production years for the Cherokee. Now that model heep is old enough that the manufacturers are no longer by law required to make "new" replacement parts so you can only get remans.

Sorry you got a bad part, but how can you be upset with TBP for not inspecting your part when YOU didnt inspect it for 7 years and it wasnt until presumably after you installed it that you discovered it was faulty.

Take your refund or store credit, buy some nice and shiny stuff for your rig, and be glad we have vendors that do so much to keep us and our Broncos happy.

Dude, You still don' get it. If it was labeled 99-04 Grand Cherokee right hand drive in 2011 would you buy it or look farther. At that time I would have looked farther had I nknown!!!!!!!

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA

Take your refund or store credit, buy some nice and shiny stuff for your rig, and be glad we have vendors that do so much to keep us and our Broncos happy.[/QUOTE

I see something here. You are all used to stuff being returned.
F... that. do it right thee first time.:eek::eek::eek:;D

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Someone may help me with this . But I will try.

The quality of gear boxes is poor. that's why RED HEAD STEERING is there.
Maybe some will chime in about other quality steering shops. I don't recall the name , but I think there's one in Texas. See, Red Head custom fits the balls in the steering box. That is what tightens everything up!

Hmmm...think I’ll just have mine rebuilt, pretty sure it’s < $300

On a lighter note, TBP is having a nice sale, ends tomorrow ;D

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category/featured-specials

BroncoChicken

So you expect perfection from every vendor every time? I hate to break it to you, but life isn’t like that. People make mistakes. I think it’s amazing that they did anything for you after sitting on a part for 6 years, then waiting another year before contacting them. Your temper tantrum is only making TBP look better and you look worse.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So are we missing the fact that a 99-04 grand cherokee right hand drive gear box bolts right up to a bronco? I just did a quick search and they are cheaper.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
bought a
steering box
starter
alternator
from Napa, Autozone
guess what had to return them because they didn't work;)
there is no supplier that checks what they receive in from manufactures for fit, form and function.
Now if Toms said a brand new FORD Bronco steering box I might be a little upset. when you get into conversions all bets are off

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So are we missing the fact that a 99-04 grand cherokee right hand drive gear box bolts right up to a bronco? I just did a quick search and they are cheaper.

Those and Nissan Xterra steering boxes have been known to play the mix and match game. A sector shaft from here, a housing from there. They are all based on the same Delphi steering box. There is even one that works on early Mustangs to get rid of that external leaky slave cylinder. Pretty common steering gear sold OEM to a lot of companies and aftermarket to some as well.

So not exactly new news.

Are TBP steering boxes exactly a RHD GC? Or are they mostly a steering gear from one? A LHD GC sector shaft in an Xterra steering box could look a lot like a RHD GC steering box.

McLeod

I do think the vendors should be more descriptive in their parts and include brand names of the particular part being offered.
There is at least one vendor that list their parts with Ford part numbers but what you get is low end "Acme Industries" one size fits all parts.

I will give Wild Horses steering a big thumbs up on their steering systems though. Bought one back in '08 and just got around to testing it. I have no idea if they are Delphi or Borgeson (because nobody names the brands), but it is super responsive and tight.
But the fact that I had it for many years and I just got around to installing it, I may have also just gone elsewhere also to get any problems fixed because I wouldn't expect the seller to do anything about it 8 or ten years later.

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Bottom line: Would I buy the steering box had it been labeled correctly? NO!!
That is the point I'm trying to make. And YES this box is cheaper. So, why the big price at TBP. It was cheaper to repair than a Ford Bronco box at Red Head. But then again, why do we have to repair new boxes?

And anyone returning a lot of non-working stuff, maybe go somewhere else.
I've gotten a lot of good stuff at TBP/have worked with Jason - good people.

You guys are good people. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Lack of correct representation of the product in the 2011 catalog at the time I purchased the product is the issue here. This is where Lonnie messed up. I'm looking at TBP 2014 catalog - Same as 2011. TBP has changed/updated this #4010 add. and that is a plus.

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Those and Nissan Xterra steering boxes have been known to play the mix and match game. A sector shaft from here, a housing from there. They are all based on the same Delphi steering box. There is even one that works on early Mustangs to get rid of that external leaky slave cylinder. Pretty common steering gear sold OEM to a lot of companies and aftermarket to some as well.

So not exactly new news.

Are TBP steering boxes exactly a RHD GC? Or are they mostly a steering gear from one? A LHD GC sector shaft in an Xterra steering box could look a lot like a RHD GC steering box.

What's "nume"?
Any one from 03 should have a little more fun.

I'm going out and putting this in today.;D;D;D

OP
OP
C

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
bought a
steering box
starter
alternator
from Napa, Autozone
guess what had to return them because they didn't work;)
there is no supplier that checks what they receive in from manufactures for fit, form and function.
Now if Toms said a brand new FORD Bronco steering box I might be a little upset. when you get into conversions all bets are off

You are on a first name bases with the return man. Not good products.
I want quality, not trial and error/return.:eek::eek::eek:

What do they do with all the 'new' stuff you return. And why are you returning so much stuff? Trial/error?