• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I'm wondring if it has to do with the "T" shift or "J" shift. According to Ford Brochures and other info forums the "T" shift was phased out in 72 though my '73 as well as others have the "T" shift. ALso in 73 is when power steerng became available as an option, wonder if that has any relation as my 73 has factory PS as well. I will go out to the barn and post up my info in a few.

kaw700zn

Loc.
Chandler
I posted a similar question recently. Search for my username: kaw700zn. Mine is purchased in 72 P9xxx with J shifter. Of course PO may have changed things around but I doubt it. I ordered Marti report, still did not received it.

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
That's what I'm trying to figure out. See post #7. Either the Qs were suspended and Ps resumed in about Sept-Oct '72 or there were Qs and Ps produced at the same time.

J shift started around Q80001.

Oh, wow. Does that mean those two Broncos were literally 43 Broncos apart or could there have been other vehicles in between? Sounds like mine was produced within 99 vehicles of both.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Oh, wow. Does that mean those two Broncos were literally 43 Broncos apart or could there have been other vehicles in between? Sounds like mine was produced within 99 vehicles of both.

They were 43 trucks and Broncos apart. Could have been assembled on the same day. Remember, both were made at the same plant and they shared the production sequence numbers.

Deano

Bronco Guru
Viperwolf1 when you get all this figured out with all the years will you post them so we can see where we are on these EBs on the list of vin#

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just updated my first post with friend's VIN info

You guys with the late '72 builds that are still model year '72, do any have the dash indicator lights or auto trans?
And you with the registered '73's but with the T-shift, any of them with an auto trans? How about without the dash lights?
Nothing to do with what Viper's tallying. Just curious.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My 73 Ranger supposed 7/72 build came with PS, Auto, t shift and dash bars

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just updated my first post with friend's VIN info

You guys with the late '72 builds that are still model year '72, do any have the dash indicator lights or auto trans?
And you with the registered '73's but with the T-shift, any of them with an auto trans? How about without the dash lights?
Nothing to do with what Viper's tallying. Just curious.

Paul

What I keep thinking about is the early '73 fuel return line.

How about this senario: Ps are all built sequentially and finished up in Aug '72. During this time the idea for the fuel return line comes out (maybe federal emissions mandated?) for the '73s (includes all Ps built in Aug) and maybe the engineering for it was behind. Now Ford has to retrofit the '73s that are already built but can't be sold because they don't have this mandatory device. The production line gets the parts first and production continues. So they park the already made '73s on a lot until they figure out a way to retrofit the return line. These early built '73s get retrofitted in Sept-Oct and then the door post sticker gets applied with the then current month/year and the old production sequence number.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
tha makes a lot of sense. Smog certification could easily have put the crunch on some production.
I'm wondering too, were the Broncos made in multiple factory facilities? Or just one?
If two, could the sequences have varied slightly depending on where they were built? I'm guessing they were built in one place, but not sure.

Paul

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
you should call Steve Dexter in Fort Myers, FL ... Steve worked for Ford in MI for + 30 years inculding in the 70s -96s assembling Broncos !!

he told me once that just bc the vin tag shows when a Bronco was made that doesn't meant it was finished that day !!

when they ran out of one particular part, like a certain transmission they would push every bronco that needed one to the side ! Somtimes weeks later the bronco would actually roll of the assembly line !
I only know of being short on transmissions / dana 44s ( in 70 ) and rear end gears .
I am going to see him on sat ...i could ask him again !!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176790&highlight=dexter

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
you should call Steve Dexter in Fort Myers, FL ... Steve worked for Ford in MI for + 30 years inculding in the 70s -96s assembling Broncos !!

he told me once that just bc the vin tag shows when a Bronco was made that doesn't meant it was finished that day !!

when they ran out of one particular part, like a certain transmission they would push every bronco that needed one to the side ! Somtimes weeks later the bronco would actually roll of the assembly line !
I only know of being short on transmissions / dana 44s ( in 70 ) and rear end gears .
I am going to see him on sat ...i could ask him again !!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176790&highlight=dexter

Please ask him if you see him Franko. I don't know if my above theory holds any water but it sure seems like a bunch of the earliest '73s were delayed in assembly.